1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the absurdly long OM-D power cord annoy you?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bobby_t1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    If the long power cable for the OM-D charger annoys you as much as me, you can solve it by ordering one of these adapters:

90-degree power adapter:
    http://amzn.to/PWI555

Straight adapter:
    http://amzn.to/UnGBoO

1-foot cable -- just in case you need a bit of space between the wall and your charger:
    http://amzn.to/OMFb3h

If you have a mac power adapter, you can use re-use the plug or just order an additional:
    http://amzn.to/QYkzKr

Handy if you travel and don't want to deal with an extra plug converter:
    http://amzn.to/PXrbYa

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    It probably doesn't annoy me as much as it does you, but I don't use the stock chord either. I use one that white thing from a space MacBook Pro charger, but that bugs me too since it it doesn't sit flush to the outlet or power bar. Those black c7 ones look awkward to. I like my aftermarket charger because it's all one piece and compact - just not comfy with using it on the original battery.

3. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    The black one actually is the best solution I've found since the Mac one doesn't sit flush like you said, although it depends on whether you're going straight into the wall or a power bar. If the latter, both plugs work for me.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    At times I have just cut and spliced a cord. I have also had good luck with these guys:

US Two Bladed to two-pole IEC: Plug Adapter NEMA 1-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C7 Connector Block Adapter - Our Item #: 5028, Category: 10 Amp Adapters : StayOnline

US Two Bladed 90 deg. to two-pole IEC: Plug Adapter NEMA 1-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C7 Connector Left/Right Block Adapter - Our Item #: 1430, Category: 10 Amp Adapters : StayOnline

Euro two round pins to two-pole IEC: Convert European Plug Male to IEC60320 C7 Connector Non-Ground 2.5 Amp 250 Volt - Our Item #: 1971, Category: Europe/Schuko Block Style Plug Adapters : StayOnline

They carry similar adapters for the three-conductor IEC connections used on some laptop power supplies. Sorry to say, though, that their web site is not easy to navigate, at least for me.

bobby_t1, thanks for the pointer to the Euro/Apple adapter. I've been looking for those. I ordered a couple.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you order a Wasabi battery(s) with charger, the charger plugs directly into the socket with no cord. The great thing about the Wasabi charger is that you can interchange the charging units with other battery types and just carry 1 charger and different units.

• Like Like x 1
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Clarify pls? You're saying the Wasabi BLN1 charger will charge batteries other than BLN1 clones, like BLS1? :confused:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yes it will.

8. campbellcj

campbellcj Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, I'll bite. Where can I get information on these "charging units?"

10. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    It does annoy me. I had never thought about looking for an adapter to replace it. Thanks!

How about these Wasabi chargers. How do they differ from the Olympus ones for charging time?

11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I found it mildly annoying, but no more annoying than the microscopic Play & Fn1 buttons. :) But the fact that I can use that extra Mac plug dongle thingy is brilliant! THANKS!

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK. Absent a reply on the "charging unit" question I looked a little harder at my two G1 battery chargers. These appear to be the same as the ones sold under the Wasabi brand. I have no idea whether I bought them under that brand or not.

What I found is that the tray that holds the battery indeed detaches from the rest of the charger. So ... charging unit! If you hold the assembled charger so the plug end (on the bottom) is to your right, just hold the charger body and push/slide the tray to the right to detach it.

IMG_0163.

I can find nowhere that sells these trays/charging units separately, so I am just going to buy a Wasabi charger for my recently-acquired Canon G12. With luck I'll be able to remove the tray and carry that plus my two charger bodies when traveling. I am semi-nuts about weight and bulk, and the tray is much more compact than the full assembly. (And the Wasabi charger assembly itself is about half the size of the Panny and Canon chargers.)

Edit: Upon reassembling the charger I noticed that both the charger and the tray have molded-in "8.4V" designations. My G12 battery is marked 7.4 volts and the Panny batteries are marked 7.2 volts. The OEM Panny charges are marked 9.2 volts and the OEM Canon charger is marked 8.4 volts. So, the nominal 8.4 volt charging voltage will probably work fine for my needs, but it is possible that the mechanical interchaneability of trays might lead someone to have problems with voltage compatibility. Y'all be careful out there!

• Like Like x 1
  13. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Absurdly long? I wish Oly had given me that cord than the tiny 1.5ft cord they have given me :(.

• Like Like x 1
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Just to finish the charger story:

I did order another Wasabi look-alike charger, this time for a Canon G12 battery. It came today and is just like the ones I have for the Panny batteries.

The charger body and the Canon battery tray are both marked 8.4v and the tray mates nicely to the two other charger bodies that I have. In fact the spare battery that I also ordered is now sitting on the Canon tray, snapped into one of the charger bodies that I already had, happily charging.

So, thanks to Jonathan F/2 for pointing out that the trays are interchangeable!

• Like Like x 1
  15. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Good information here, I need a solution to get rid of that chord! I'll have to get one of the linked plugs.

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What a reason to get annoyed ..;)

My dear friend .. This a very interesting reason to get annoyed . Please tell us what makes u happy?:wink::wink:..Come on mate , just buy small adaptor or a smaller cord, U can get it for USD1-2 from a Chinese shop around the corner . Please find better reasons to get upset and annoyed . Life is so small and all of us have stresses but if a long camera charger cord manages to annoy you then u have to sit and think whats going on? Just chill out and take pics .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thx for the photos & clarification, oldracer! I have a DSTE charger for my BLN1 clones, and the tray snaps in an out easily. Woo hoo! Less stuff to carry now. :biggrin:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.