Does Panasonic know about problems with POWER OIS video stabilization

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
How we can inform Panasonic about POWER OIS jitter problems (12-35mm, 35-100mm,14-140mm lenses)

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
I recall that v1.0 firmware for the 12-35 had this issue, but was corrected soon thereafter. I have the 35-100 and I have not seen or experienced this. Many people will leave OIS on,when on a tripod. Most of the camera operating instructions did inform the user to disable it. As a general comment, I would make sure that both camera and lens have the latest firmware. Check with Panasonic.net in the "Support" section.

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
I recall that v1.0 firmware for the 12-35 had this issue, but was corrected soon thereafter. I have the 35-100 and I have not seen or experienced this. Many people will leave OIS on,when on a tripod. Most of the camera operating instructions did inform the user to disable it. As a general comment, I would make sure that both camera and lens have the latest firmware. Check with Panasonic.net in the "Support" section.

12-35mm issue was very strange. POWER OIS was jittering video when shooting with tripod and OIS was switched OFF!! FW corrected that. I tested updated 12-35mm lens in my store and it jittred the same way than my 14-140mm II lens. So there is a common issue of POWER OIS or there are lots of bad copies of lenses.

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting

More info and tips here:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7159-micro-jitter-on-panasonic-35-100-f28-when-using-power-ois/

Fast micro jitter shows best when shooting handheld stationary video (without moving camera). If you cant see that jitter at all there must be lots of bad copies of that lens with other users.
So reading through this, it seems this occurs in an extended tele mode and video might be cropped? This might explain why I don't see it. This effectively increases it by at least twice. I'm going to repeat the test, but so far it's not been a problem for me. Interesting none the less. Thanks for sharing.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So reading through this, it seems this occurs in an extended tele mode and video might be cropped? This might explain why I don't see it. This effectively increases it by at least twice. I'm going to repeat the test, but so far it's not been a problem for me. Interesting none the less. Thanks for sharing.

No it happens in normal mode as well, but it is less disturbing. (The second video shows it in normal mode, and it visible still). You can try to replicate with similar shutter/is/aperture.

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
My 14-140 II POWER OIS lens jitters more handheld at 14mm than my 100-300mm MEGA OIS handheld at 300mm !!

My cheap 14-42mm MEGA OIS is rock steady handheld at 14mm.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I don't shoot a lot of video. I have used the 35-100 on my GH3 and haven't noticed any issues. Is this a problem with all of the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms or just some of them?

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We don't know. Have not seen any test that concludes that a particular lens is working ok under proper test conditions.

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
POWER OIS jitter in 35-100mm lens. I would return the lens immediately if I would have bought one. It is very expensive about 1500 dollars in Finland. Please Panasonic make a FW fix to POWER OIS. MEGA OIS is much much better.

https://vimeo.com/106339636

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
One more unhappy from vimeo:

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve

https://vimeo.com/107754092

"Eric, thanks for sharing. The good news is that they're working on it, but the results aren't really improving anything up to this point. since you seem to be in contact with Panasonic, can you maybe hit them back with a couple of things? those being:
-OIS works terrible with 14-140mm & 35-100mm lenses, because of jittering

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just reached out to someone I know at Panasonic. He explained, while we were aware of the problem that the 12-35 had, and was corrected, to date we have not received any 35-100's or 14-140's at our service facility in TX for this problem. If anyone has a lens with this problem it should be sent there with a detailed description of the camera it's used with and the procedure to replicate this problem. We need to collect some internal data from the lens so it can be analyzed by our factory in Japan.

People are complaining, but have they actually reached out for assistance?

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
I just reached out to someone I know at Panasonic. He explained, while we were aware of the problem that the 12-35 had, and was corrected, to date we have not received any 35-100's or 14-140's at our service facility in TX for this problem. If anyone has a lens with this problem it should be sent there with a detailed description of the camera it's used with and the procedure to replicate this problem. We need to collect some internal data from the lens so it can be analyzed by our factory in Japan.

People are complaining, but have they actually reached out for assistance?

Thanks for caring and telling about the issue.

I think that every 35-100 and 14-140 lens has this issue. They may have these lenses in the factory:)

I have read stories of 35-100 sent to service due to jitter and the service said it is working normally. I have contacted Panasonic Europe service with my issue and I got an answer that they are studying the issue. I cant believe they are so blind not to see that jitter.

Has anyone seen a stable handheld stationary shot in Youtube or Vimeo with these lenses? I have searched and not found.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Please consider this approach

Thanks for caring and telling about the issue.

I think that every 35-100 and 14-140 lens has this issue. They may have these lenses in the factory:)
I have read stories of 35-100 sent to service due to jitter and the service said it is working normally. I have contacted Panasonic Europe service with my issue and I got an answer that they are studying the issue. I cant believe they are so blind not to see that jitter.

Vesku, assuming such things is not an accurate picture of the situation. I reached out to my contact, a very close friend, at their service in the US. I'm told that to date, not one 35-100 lens was received for this condition. Nothing is under study because none were received to evaluate. My experience about much of what we read in these forums is that many times details are embellished, mildly exaggerated, with the belief of receiving faster corrective action. And some times people who don't even have the problem will complain, thinking more complaints = faster action. When such facts can't be substantiated the matter (and the source) looses credibility. In the US we call this "crying wolf". I don't see any jitter on my 14-140, so it's unfair to say all lens have the problem. I suggest that if anyone has the problem they send it in so it can be evaluated. That would be the first step to getting Panasonic's attention and their enthusiasm to look into it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom