Does Panasonic have Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new G9 body, and with Black Friday/Cyber Monday only a couple of weeks away, I'm wondering if those of you with experience in these matters know if Panasonic puts their MFT cameras on sale during those days.

I read on a Forum here that the 2020 sale was a "huge disappointment." My gut feeling is that with the G9 already discounted (to just under $1000 in US) there may not be any significant reductions.

Why don't I want to wait? I would like to order the G9 before the crush of orders that happens following Black Friday. Shipping is currently still timely here, but a few weeks from now it will be a madhouse.

But with my track record on technology buys, Panny will probably announce a G10 (or whatever) in January!

Thoughts?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
It won't likely be much less if at all. My experience has been that sales come and go and are all about the same. It's $300 off right now, next week it may go back up just so they can take the same $300 off on Black Friday. If it were me, I'd grit my teeth and click. With the supply chain as it is you could end up on the short end come Black Friday.

As for a G10...as if.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
The G9 has been so aggressively discounted for so long I don’t expect we’ll see much n the way of further discounts.

The G10 was released in 2010, it was the predecessor of the G80/85 and G90/95 series, a cut down G2 for a more consumer market (the G3 would unify the two variants again, then they’d re-split when the G9 was launched above the G8/80/85)

One problem that Panasonic has with the G9 is just what to name it. They’ve already used the logical next name, I’m halfway expecting a G9 Mark II next year, if only to get the G9 on modern components (as they did with the GH5). Panasonic seems overly Video focused with their m43 releases these days, but that said, they’ve also been averaGoing 2 new bodies a year for the last 8 years. If they keep that up, they will be forced to update stills stuff in 2022, because all of the video bodies except the GH5S have been updated in 2020/2021.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
It wasn’t a Black Friday deal, but my last G9 body was $999 at Adorama, but it came bundled with a really nice tripod that retailed for $200. So while you may not get it for cheaper, you might be able to find a nice bundle. Granted, I don’t use the tripod a whole lot, but it essentially cost me nothing since I was going to pay $999 either way.

I certainly don’t expect the G9 successor any time soon. We’ll get the GH6 with the new sensor, and I suspect that will trickle down to the G9 successor eventually…hopefully. I’d be good if they keep the body the same and just update it to a mk II. Since nothing has been mentioned, it’s probably at least a year away still. :(

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have been holding off buying a G9 and GX9 successors for a while. I bet as soon as I buy one/both the successors will be announced. Panasonic generally do a decent double cashback on certain cameras around New Year.

Thanks for the replies. I am not complaining, really, about the price of the G9, which is reasonable considering the capability you're getting.

It's interesting how Panasonic is pricing their line so closely: GX85 (w/ 2 lenses), G95 (with lens), G9 body: all street price of $997. Obviously they want to be under that one-grand price tag. And if you have lenses, as I do, then the G9 body is a no-brainer.

Thanks, mawz, for correcting my reference to a "G10." I can't keep track of the Panasonic numbers.

I rented the G9 for a week, which I think is the best way to know for sure whether you like a camera. One look through that G9 viewfinder and I was sold!

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
IMO the G-90/95 always was overpriced. They needed to reduce that point by a few hundred on release. Now that you can get a 9 for the same price, why bother? I had waited for that camera to release for months and was disappointed when it was announced. Ended up getting a G9 when they were still $1200 and have been very grateful Panasonic steered me to it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Thanks for the replies. I am not complaining, really, about the price of the G9, which is reasonable considering the capability you're getting.

It's interesting how Panasonic is pricing their line so closely: GX85 (w/ 2 lenses), G95 (with lens), G9 body: all street price of $997. Obviously they want to be under that one-grand price tag. And if you have lenses, as I do, then the G9 body is a no-brainer.

Thanks, mawz, for correcting my reference to a "G10." I can't keep track of the Panasonic numbers.

I rented the G9 for a week, which I think is the best way to know for sure whether you like a camera. One look through that G9 viewfinder and I was sold!
Yeah, that EVF will get you.

I think deals might be a mess this year. Last year I think you could get the GX85+2 kit lens combo for $499. With so many shortages, and inflation, I fear the best deals of last year may not reappear this year. Best M43 deal I’ve seen so far is the EM5.3 for $899. Everything else seems to be at least $100 more than it was last holiday season.

I agree that the G-90/95 is overpriced. I rented that one too for a week and was very pleased with it: nice size, fairly lightweight, mic/headphone jacks, good viewfinder, etc., but not available body only. I went ahead and ordered the G9, so look for a replacement to be announced soon! Ha ha.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I got an email from Panasonic this morning with some Black Friday pricing on selected items.

S5 with 20-60 kit lens for $1999 US
G95 with 12-60 kit lens for $699 US
G100 with 12-32 kit lens for $599 US
GH5M2 with 12-60 kit lens for $2099 US

Plus several Leica lenses on sale as well.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Only ones over here, are the fool frames and so it has been for the last few years, some shops has had local things going in regards of Lumix M43s, but no national campaigns for quite a while...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom