1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does OS work on Sigma 4/3 lenses adapted to µ4/3 cameras?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RDM, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I own and use a Panasonic DMC-G1 camera and I was considering purchasing a Sigma lens in 4/3 mount that also happens to have OS.
    I checked the Panasonic compatibility chart and understand it would function as manual focus only but i was wondering if the OS worked too, because if it does that might push me into purchasing it, but the site makes no mention if this function on the lenses work on µ4/3 bodies.

Are there any owners of such lens combinations out there that can give me some insight?

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The stabilization should work. Most, if not all, m4/3 cameras other than the the G1 will also auto focus (slowly). This is assuming you use one of the adapters from Panasonic or Olympus with all the electronic connections.

Fred

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't believe such a lens model exists. Sigma began adding OS after they stopped releasing new 4/3 lenses. Are you certain it's a 4/3 mount lens?

For non-4/3 mounts, the OS will not work.

DH

4. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    My mistake. Dhazeghi is right. There are no 4/3 mount Sigmas with OS. The only 4/3 lenses with OS were the Panasonic zooms. I think you'd be better off looking for used m4/3 lenses.

Fred

5. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    what does OS stand for?

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Optical Stabilisation

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Now I'm puzzled

The OS stands for Optical stabilizer.
    The lens I am considering purchasing, the owner says it does indeed have OS. Also it looks like it has an OS switch and has written on it Optical stabilization in the photos. He also told me he used it with a 4/3 camera.
    Plus a web search I just did has turned up that lens and other Sigma lenses claiming to be in 4/3 mount with OS. Like this one. So now I am puzzled. Both Fred and DH are very knowledgeable and I seen them give great advice on here for a long time. Are these mistakes on the internet i am seeing. Should I tell the seller that he is wrong and it cannot be a 4/3 mount lens with OS?

8. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    That may be the only one. Since the OS is built into the lens all it needs is power. The camera may not be able to turn it on and off, I have no idea, so a switch would be good.

Fred

9. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    That is likely a mistake of the store. Sigma doesn't list this lens as available for 4/3 mount:
    18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
    and the owner.. might be just mad, who knows. :whoo: Afaik Sigma haven't produced a single OS lens for (m)ft.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hmm.. Maybe I should just stay away from it. I was only considering it because it was a fast zoom 18-50mm 2.8, for just a few hundred. But if he has the mount wrong , it may just be a hassle to get the lens and then return it if its not 4/3.

But troll, Panasonic does list an 18-50mm 2.8 lens in their compatibility chart.

11. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia

this is something we had on the Olympus body (IS) isn't?

i find this interesting, since i'm waiting the 55-200 DG 4/3 mount and yes i've seen one guy also in this forum using this lens on pen series

hopefully you'll solve this issue:smile:

12. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  13. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    But it's not an OS lens. It's the older standard fast APS-C zoom from Sigma that didn't feature OS, only the newer updated version (17-50/2.8) does.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's a different lens. The 18-50/2.8 EX does not have OS. It is also discontinued in 4/3 mount. The 18-50/2.8-4.5 does not come in 4/3 mount to begin with. It's also only f/2.8 for the first few mm. J. Wrotniak's site has a full list of 4/3 lenses.

If you want a fastish (aperture) zoom lens at a low price and don't care about AF speed, the Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5 mk1 is the best option, and you can find them secondhand for $250 or less.

DH

15. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    How do you know that? 18-50/2.8-4.5 is a budget and not so old lens released only in 2009, and the "Lens finder" on the official Sigma site doesn't show it when you select the "Four Thirds" mount (but it does show discontinued FT mount lenses, yet not this one).
    +1, this would also be an optically better option.

16. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    The 14-45mm f2.8-3.5 sells used for 270 euros (i'm pretty sure it could be cheaper abroad), shouln't it be a better choice?

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

And that's a darn shame. I hope when they start producing Zooms and primes that go beyond 60mm they do include OS, Especially since 2/3 of their target consumers (both Panasonic and the Nex users) don't have IBIS.

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

It was not the OS I was after. I know the lens you speak of would be better for OS. If it was a question of the best lens option with OS.
    It was the more shallow depth of field of a faster lens (2.8) I was looking for, at a fraction of the cost of the new pana; a couple hundred dollars. The OS question just brought up the fact it may not be a 4/3 lens like the owner thought.

19. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's no longer listed here, but the video mentions 4/3 mount.
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/18-50mm-f28-45-dc-os-hsm-sigma

Here's a thread from Four Thirds User. Some people actually used it.
    Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC EX - Four Thirds User discussion forum

Fred