1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does Olympus Have a Quality Control Issue or Are These Design Flaws

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Aug 9, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Including this forum I monitor/participate in four different photography forums. Members of this forum by far discusses more defects in their cameras than any other. LCD failures, lenses not being recognized by the camera, tight fitting lenses, knobs becoming loose and dysfunctional etc. The issues do not seem to be restricted to just one model. Do all of the Olympus cameras come out of the same country and if so is this an indication of some sort of quality issue or are these flaws in design? By the way I had a problem with my first E-M10 which I delineated in this thread. Since then I got the replacement as well as a second E-M10 and a few lenses so I am not dissatisfied by the camera, I am just wondering about it’s durability.

2. freyr

freyr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Angel
    I think it's a quality control issue. I returned my first E-M10 just a few hours after I bought it as the OK button didn't function. I haven't got any issues with the replacement so far :)

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've owned many Oly bodies (e-p1, e-p2, e-pl1, e-pm2, e-p5, e-m5, e-m1, em-10) and the only problem I had was with a refurb e-m5 which failed and was fixed upon return. Lots of the dial problems were adhesive failure. It's really hard to know since there is no good data available. Square trade did a study but was only really looking at compacts under $500.

https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Camera_failure_study.pdf

Olympus does not really stick out. The problems look to be QC issues.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I actually think it is more along the lines of the squeaky wheel............maybe I should start a thread for everyone who has never had a problem like myself. Human nature seems to be to complain about any problems but never applaud when there are no problems.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I see the (significant rise in) QC failures came in around the time the E-M5 was released,
    afflicting E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 mostly.
    Honestly I've not had a single instance of the OP's fault list but I only own two 'modern' bodies so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    There does seem to be a quality control issue. I got the dial issue fixed last year, and now it's happening again... :(

7. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Have you estimated the ratio of defect reports to the number of forum users? This might put things in perspective.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Probably just QC. I've owned 3 different Panasonic cameras (GF1/GX1/GX7) and had zero issues. I've owned 5 different Olympus cameras (E-420/E-3/E-M5/E-M1/E-M5ii) and has issues with 3 of them. Funny thing is I still come back to Olympus cameras. o_O

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    I haven't had any issues with my E-M10, thus far. However, because of the issues discussed here, I am a bit more careful handling it, than I otherwise would be.

One tip that might be of some help: because the camera is so small, it's easy to inadvertently put too much pressure(with the hand that's holding the camera) on the dials when removing/replacing the battery/memory card, or installing/removing a lens with the tight lens mount of the E-M10. I'm extremely careful how I hold the camera now when doing these procedures. Hopefully my vigilance pays off, as the E-M10 is an absolute joy to shoot.

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think it's mostly QC or sourcing cheap parts. The falling apart 12-40 issue which we saw when it was released seems to have disappeared without a redesign. Oly has had some profitability issues... I get the sense Oly tries to keep margins really tight, and might sometimes err on the side of inexpensive when sourcing parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    People without problems rarely bother to say so. I have had an E-M1, E-P5 and three lenses for over a year. They have had lots of use, have travelled to hot and dusty and wet places. No problems whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You're just not in the right forums if you never hear any complaints about other brands!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    2 EM1's and heaps of lenses, used daily over the past year with zero issues at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Never heard of that issue. Other than the lens hood not locking as well as I would like, its very well built IMHO.

15. Wonder if the Moderator might want to start a poll where people could select a camera model and pick from a list of known issues..just for m4/3. It could be a quick way to keep stats on this stuff. I do realize that setting it up would be a bunch of work. Haven't had any issues with the m4/3 gear I have...yet. Knock on wood.

16. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A large part of many failures is to do with the shift towards green "sustainable" items (such as removing lead from everything, even if it means ELF skyrockets due to component failure).

It's one of those stupid things where they remove 0.1 gram of total lead from from a product (wooo! saving the world!) which is completely insignificant compared to other industrial pollution such as power plants, it's just false economy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Had 0 problems with e-m5 and e-p5. Had the LCD fail in 2 days on my e-m5 II. Seems to be a common problem (LCD failure).

18. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    have had three Panas and two Olys, plus another P and O of my friends, only one EPL5 shutter button cap came apart

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Two Olys (from new) & one Pana (used) + multiple lenses from both.

No issues with the bodies.

Have had the front fascia fall off the Oly 17 f2.8 though (mainly cosmetic).

I just don't think things are built to last these days (I sound old now . . .). Its a calculated decision companies make - its not that they can't build things to last (I have a shelf of fully functional 40-50yr old Olympus cameras) - all things considered, they don't want to build things to last (in all probability technical obsolescence will occur before parts failure; parts don't need to last forever - just long enough).

After the durability trade-offs are made in a design and manufacture process its just a matter of statistics (some components will last forever and some will fail soon after opening the box - both of these situations will be edge-cases).

• Agree Agree x 1