1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does Oly E-P5 + Roundflash work?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Dman

Dman New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2013
    This is my first post and decided to join here as it seems to be the biggest 4/3 forum available with some very interesting discussions going on! So Hi all! :drinks:

I just bought the E-P5 and am getting back to photography after quite a few shutter-snapless years. I would love the idea about a portable ring flash and http://roundflash.com seems to be right product. What worries be bit is that does it work with lets say, 75mm 1.8 which I'm planning to buy?

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    The 75, while incredibly long for a m43 lens might be a tad short. It says on the website some wide lenses might show some vignetting, so who knows. Also it appears the inside diameter for the hole is 100mm, almost twice the size of the 75mms filter. Does seem to be a neat product and I've always wanted to play around win ring flash, but that's a lot of money for something that might not work on our tiny cameras

3. Dman

Dman New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2013
    Ok thanks so much. Will not waste me money on that then.

Anyone have THE ringflash solution for 4/3 cams which is easily portable?

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    First micro4/3rds camera is an e-P5? Welcome wise one.

Great, maybe you'll end up one of the few who doesn't need to swap every few months ...

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, the fact that this ringflash is too deep for a lens as short as the 75mm is a problem, however the fact that it has a wider diameter is an advantage which will help overcome the problem of being too deep. There is a good chance this will work, but I would consult with the manufacturers first. Give them the specs of your lens, and ask.

However, there are SO many good light modifier options... I wouldn't limit yourself too much. Go down to your local camera store and try a few different modifiers on for size.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There aren't really any ring flash solution made for any type of camera or camera system, since ring flash compatibility all depends on the LENS it's mounted on and has almost nothing to do with the camera itself.

There is a ring flash made for the 4/3 system (4/3 and m4/3 both use the same flash system, if you didn't know), but it is made specifically for the 50mm and 35mm Zuiko macro lenses (dunno if there is an adapter for the m.Zuiko 60mm/2.8 macro, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is). Ring flash is most often meant for macro work, so most ring flash are made to mount on specific macro lenses if they are not "generic" like the roundflash you were looking at.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...itbcTPv4l4lH3vjiw&sig2=pDeO1PB6pd4N5ye8UBHJ-A

Considering how small m4/3 lenses are however, it would not be unreasonable to fashion your own mount for the ringflash, to make it fit snugly to your lens. Obviously you couldn't modify a mount for a lens that is too big to fit in the ring, but you can when the lens is smaller.