1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does Oly 12mm need a hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oldracer, Nov 20, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I generally favor lens hoods as much for protection as for contrast improvement, but I just bought an Oly 12mm that I expect to use primarily for interior shots while traveling. My 9-18mm and my 14-140mm lenses will be my outdoor lenses. So, the Oly 12mm will see a lot of jacket pocket time and I don't want unnecessary bulk.

Has anyone actually compared the performance of this lens with and without the OEM style hood? Indoors? Outdoors? I can see where it might be more desirable outdoors or even necessary but I wonder if the hood will have any effect on contrast indoors even where there is normal church/museum/cave, etc. lighting.

No speculation or theories please. While I love theories and can waste hours discussing them, I am really looking for someone who has experimental facts. Without buying a hood I may not need, I can't conduct the experiments myself.

TIA.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A lens hood prevents veiling flare. (bright light source not in the frame) When the hood blocks light that would cause that type of flare, it will improve the image. Most indoor lighting isn't bright enough to cause veiling flare.

In this case, experiments will take hours to do, because it only has an effect in some cases.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I got the hood quite some time after buying the lens. I never conducted with and without tests and I really have no desire to do so.

My general feeling shooting with the hood on when I finally got it was that there was an improvement gained with the hood in terms of things like saturation which would be degraded by veiling flare. I got the hood for the 12 at the same time as I got hoods the 45 and the 40-150 and had the same feeling with all of those lenses. Basically these days I buy a hood automatically when I buy a new lens that doesn't come with one, and I shoot with the hood on, both indoors and out. It does help, perhaps not in every situation, but then I'm not going to do with and without shots every time I shoot. If it doesn't help, it certainly doesn't harm, so my hoods tend to live on my lenses.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Actual data, anyone?

BTW I am thinking of relatively simple experiments like shooting a gray card with and without the shade, indoors and out. Maybe with the sun (outside) or a strobe (inside) a little bit out of the field of view. 20 minutes, tops, to shoot. The pixel brightness numbers from the gray card area ought to tell the tale.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  6. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Yes, it does!
    I noticed a huge improvement of the lens after I bought the hood (the cheap one).
    Not only with the sun but also at night if you have artificial lights on the scene.
    The hood is also important to protect the lens and keep off finger prints.
    The only m43 lens I had that is very good without a hood is the pana 1.7/20.

7. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    In case anyone is interested I just received the Vello LHO-48 hood. Fits the lens like a glove and the quality looks great. Olympus really needs to throw in the hood for free on their most expensive lenses.

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm going to shoot the 12mm soon and I'll be using a hood. I found that photos improve and my lenses don't get banged around or touched during movement or handling. Especially given a camera like E-M5 that, when grip-less, has little to grab onto when pulling from a bag and for safety's sake I sometimes grab all of the camera in my hand with little regard for what part of it that I am grabbing.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I wonder

I generally always keep the hood on any lens I use to get the best quality I can but I wonder about the little Olympus LH-55B mounted on the 9-18mm zoom. The hood bayonets, as do most these days, but shooting outdoors I generally mount a B&W UV filter on the lens. With this filter mounted the front most part of the hood is just slightly in front of the filter. Am I wasting my time mounting this filter or using this hood and filter together? Any comments appreciated.
    Bobby

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I doubt it's a waste of time.

In my case for the micro 4/3 9-18, I step up to a 58mm filter and put a rubber hood on it. 58, just because I had one from my Canon shooting and other Micro 4/3 lenses I have wear it natively.