Does my E-PL2 have a problem?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Microbial, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Microbial

Microbial New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2015
    Hello, newbie here.

I keep buying M43 cameras and lenses, it's a kind of addiction.

My latest acquisition is a secondhand Olympus E-PL2, but I'm not sure the image stabilisation is working. I can't see any stabilisation taking place on the screen unless I use a Panasonic lens. One of my other cameras has several IS modes, one of which is that stabilisation doesn't happen until the shutter is activated. Is that what's happening here? Or is there a problem with the IS?

In all other respects the camera is in superb condition.
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    On older 12mp PEN bodies, the IS only works during the actual exposure. So the only way to know if it really works is to turn IS off and take a couple of shots with relatively long exposures, say 1/5 sec with a "normal" focal length. Then do the same thing with the IS on. You should see the difference.
  3. Microbial

Microbial New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2015
    Ah, thanks Vivalo, that was just the test I needed. The IS does indeed only work during exposure, I can see the difference on a long exposure. In fact, on an exposure of 1 or 2 seconds I can hear and feel the IS buzzing.

I should have joined MU-43 years ago!
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

Half-pressing the shutter will probably activate the IBIS; iirc that's the default on my E-M1, which also has a couple settings for when the IBIS comes on.

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    The old 2 axis system (which works similarly on the PM2 and I believe is the same on the PL5/6) is different from the 3 and 5 axis of the M5, P5, M1, M10, etc. There's no stabilisation of the viewfinder on half press of the shutter.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Microbial

Microbial New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2015
    I can confirm that there is no stabilisation of the viewfinder on a half press.
  7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    This was one of the great benefits for me when I moved from the EPL-2 E-PM2 to the E-P5.