1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Does Lightroom run well in a MacBook Air 2010

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armanius, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I am considering dumping PC for Mac, starting off with a replacement for my netbook. Considering an 11" 2010 Macbook Air with 4 gigs of RAM . But want to know if it can handle Lightroom 3.3. Any users with experience?

Thanks!!

2. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Sure does. The SSD makes it fly. RAW files with lots of history and/or added grain & adjustment brushes will show a bit of sluggishness, but nothing insane.

I run LR (albeit rarely) on my 11" Air when I'm on the road — usually I prefer to do it at home on my proper rig w/ a calibrated monitor, but it serves its purpose since most of my workflow is covered by my own presets now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Yes (with 4GB RAM), works on either, but with multi-windowed apps like lightroom the 11" is too small for me. I actually have both but prefer the 13" for photo work and use the 11" for my tech stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    LightRoom runs well on pretty much any Intel Mac hardware. I'm running it on the original Intel Mac, a 2006 MacBook Pro 2.0 Ghz Core Duo (not even Core 2 Duo!) and it runs decently. Yes, I do wait a few seconds more than I'd like to for previews to render after a big import, but it is still considerably faster than Aperture was chugging.

As for screen size, will you be working solely off of the 11" LCD? That is a bit tight for photo editing, but works fine on the road/light edits/cataloguing. I would be fine on that provided when at home I had a bigger monitor to plug into (which I do); then you could also dual screen and keep palettes on another monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have been pondering if I should go to 13". But I like the portability of a 11". It may end up being an iPad replacement as well. I do think 13" will be easier on my eyes.

I'll likely dump my desktop PC in the future as well for an iMac. So hopefully, in addition to a Macbook Air, I'll have a nice 27" iMac too!

6. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    You may want to wait until June when a new Air may be out with a much faster processor and video. The current processor is about 2 years old.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree that for photo work, the 11" is too small. I find the 13" barely adequate... it still feels a little cramped, but would be fine for a LR machine while on the road. And waiting until June for the next processor update is a good idea, if you can do it.

I recently gave my 13" MacBookPro to my wife and shifted to a 15" MacBook Pro i7. The slightly larger screen real estate with the 15" is quite improved for LR and PS work. But I would be OK with a 13" Air while on the road.

8. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    If the Air is going to be your second machine/portable, go all the way — 11". Keep in mind the 11" Air has a resolution a tad higher than the 13" MacBook Pro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.