Does Lightroom run well in a MacBook Air 2010

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armanius, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I am considering dumping PC for Mac, starting off with a replacement for my netbook. Considering an 11" 2010 Macbook Air with 4 gigs of RAM . But want to know if it can handle Lightroom 3.3. Any users with experience?

Thanks!!

2. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Sure does. The SSD makes it fly. RAW files with lots of history and/or added grain & adjustment brushes will show a bit of sluggishness, but nothing insane.

I run LR (albeit rarely) on my 11" Air when I'm on the road — usually I prefer to do it at home on my proper rig w/ a calibrated monitor, but it serves its purpose since most of my workflow is covered by my own presets now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Yes (with 4GB RAM), works on either, but with multi-windowed apps like lightroom the 11" is too small for me. I actually have both but prefer the 13" for photo work and use the 11" for my tech stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    LightRoom runs well on pretty much any Intel Mac hardware. I'm running it on the original Intel Mac, a 2006 MacBook Pro 2.0 Ghz Core Duo (not even Core 2 Duo!) and it runs decently. Yes, I do wait a few seconds more than I'd like to for previews to render after a big import, but it is still considerably faster than Aperture was chugging.

As for screen size, will you be working solely off of the 11" LCD? That is a bit tight for photo editing, but works fine on the road/light edits/cataloguing. I would be fine on that provided when at home I had a bigger monitor to plug into (which I do); then you could also dual screen and keep palettes on another monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have been pondering if I should go to 13". But I like the portability of a 11". It may end up being an iPad replacement as well. I do think 13" will be easier on my eyes.

I'll likely dump my desktop PC in the future as well for an iMac. So hopefully, in addition to a Macbook Air, I'll have a nice 27" iMac too!

6. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    You may want to wait until June when a new Air may be out with a much faster processor and video. The current processor is about 2 years old.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree that for photo work, the 11" is too small. I find the 13" barely adequate... it still feels a little cramped, but would be fine for a LR machine while on the road. And waiting until June for the next processor update is a good idea, if you can do it.

I recently gave my 13" MacBookPro to my wife and shifted to a 15" MacBook Pro i7. The slightly larger screen real estate with the 15" is quite improved for LR and PS work. But I would be OK with a 13" Air while on the road.

8. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    If the Air is going to be your second machine/portable, go all the way — 11". Keep in mind the 11" Air has a resolution a tad higher than the 13" MacBook Pro.