Does Lightroom 4 not work with E-P5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by utahlasvegas, Jul 14, 2013.

1. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey, I got my E-P5 a few days ago and love it so far, but I can't get it to work with Lightroom 4 on my mac. Do I have to upgrade to LR 5? LR4 opened files from an OMD, but it won't work with the E-P5. I upgraded the Camera Raw in Photoshop, but I don't think that has anything to do with Lightroom. I've been using Olympus View so far.
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Some users have had success by editing the EXIF data so that Lightroom treats the RAW files as OMD files. That's clearly a pain in the butt. My guess is that Adobe just needs to issue a minor update to LR4 to support the new camera's files.
  3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I don't have an E-P5 but preordered a couple other new camera models and both took a month or two for Aperture and Adobe Camera RAW to catch up. A PITA to use the manufacturer's RAW converter but those out the gate first have no choice.
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    1- Looks like the E-P5 is not yet supported in Lightroom 4 or 5, or in ACR. It will come, probably in the next update to them.

2- When the update comes, it will probably come for LR5 only, not for LR4. My understanding is that Adobe does not keep providing updates for new cameras to previous versions. I may be wrong but that's what I'm expecting to see happen.

3. You can always download Adobe's utility to convert RAW files to their DNG format. That gets updated and will handle the E-P5 when the update finally issues, and LR4 will handle DNG files. If there isn't an update for LR4 that will probably be the only other option besides an upgrade to LR5 or hacking your EXIF data to fool LR into reading the files as E-M5 files.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Adobe has almost never updated older versions of LR with new camera support once a new release is out.

The E-P5 is already supported in ACR 8.1 and LR 5.

The DNG option is certainly the simplest of the free options.
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for that correction. My initial feeling was that it was but I checked Adobe's web site, got referred to the Camera Raw page, and the E-P5 wasn't listed which is why I said it wasn't. Obviously they haven't updated that page and I should learn not to trust the "official" web page quite so much.