Does it strike anyone as odd?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 29, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I got an E-PM1 this holiday season s a present and am finding it to be a marvelous little camera. I paired it up with a VF2 and it really is meeting all of my needs for an m43 kit and I could not be happier with it. I see by the number of posts on here that the E-PM1 seems to be developing quite a loyal following. In fact, it appears to me (and I could be wrong about this) but that the E-PM1 is considerably more popular than it's older brother the E-PL3. Has anyone else noticed this and doesn't it strike you as a bit peculiar? If I recall correctly the general impression when the E-PM1 was announced was that the E-PM1 was too point and shoot like and none too favorable. I know that I wasn't considering it. Fast forward a few months and the E-PM1 seems to have picked up a lot for fans. In my case I have been pleasantly surprised at how much control it DOES afford given the dearth of buttons. Combined with a much nicer UI than past models, VERY fast operation and some definite improvements in WB, AF and IMHO IQ the E-PM1 has been a bit of a revelation to me. It's not for everyone's small size makes it problematic with longer lenses and the lack of any sort of grip is a big issue for some but all in all I think Olympus hit it out of the park with the E-PM1.

If the number of posts dedicated to it here are any indicator it would seem it is more popular than the E-PL3 (by quite a lot). I am not saying it is better and I realize the E-PL3 has its fans (and rightly so, it is a terrific camera) but it does seem as though the E-PM1 has struck some cord in people. The question is why. Is it simply because it is so inexpensive? Is it something about the combination of size, performance and ease of use? What is it that makes it so popular. it simply a blimp that will correct itself once folks start using them, find out they don't like it and sell them for E-PL3's or what-have-you? I'll go first...I LOVE the size (as I would that of the E-PL3), I have always really loved compact cameras and the E-PM1 is not that much bigger than my Panasonic ZS3. It makes it an easy chic for a have with me all the tome camera. The lack of a built-in flash is not that big a deal to me as I rarely use it on any of my cameras (never been an issue on my E-P1) and finally, I love how fast to is.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Best camera I ever owned. It even holds its own against E-P3: 5.5fps burst and it's considerably smaller and lighter.
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Haven't used it quite extensively, but was able to hold both the E-PM1 and E-PL3. If not for the E-PL3's tilt screen I'd probably go for the E-PM1 in a heartbeat. I'm just waiting for the "right" E-PL3 deal. :smile:
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can see that being a big thing for some folks (I loved the articulating screen on my G2).
  5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Mine is out for delivery today...can't wait, and I love my E P3.
    It will be interesting to me to see which one goes out more often.
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's all about the price! I was thinking about replacing my GF2 with the E-PM1 but with rumors of the new weather-sealed Oly body... well I'll wait. :tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    With most likely a new sensor too, like you, I'm waiting too :smile:
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Price is a factor, IMO. I think if it was the same price as the EPL3, or only say $50 cheaper, it wouldn't have sold. Like you, I never seriously considered it when it was first announced, thinking "I don't like button-less cameras."

But it changed when I accidentally met one in person at BestBuy. I stood there for an hour, and played with the NEX5, GF3 and EPM1. I was really surprised by the EPM1. Really shocked. The speed, the menus, the feel in the hands.

I think word-of-mouth has been growing amongst enthusiasts, because I didn't hear ANYONE say "I want an EPM1" at announcement. It was all EPL3 and EP3, but now I see EPM1 users everywhere (here and DPR).

I don't give Oly much credit, though. I don't think they knew what they had, and that they accidentally released a great camera at the intersection of price and function. If they thought it was a winner, you can bet it wouldn't have been at this price, and it wouldn't be as popular.

Personally, regardless of what I might pick up in 2012 (maybe a Pen Pro or Fuji mirrorless), I think I'll have the EPM1 for a while.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I loved the E-PM1 as well. Was a very difficult choice for me to decide that and the E-P3 which I ended up keeping instead.
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I forgot about that - wasn't the EPM1 the camera in that Oly give-away? I wonder if that actually did anything to boost their sales?
  11. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    I just got my E-PM1 last week and love it. I have a nice 4/3 kit with the E-3 and some great lenses, but lately have been wanting a more compact interchangeable lens camera. Like you said, when the E-PM1 first came out, I also was not interested, thought it was too much of just a point and shoot. Now several months later, I've learned it is fully capable in such a compact body and that most people found the lack of buttons not a big issue, I jumped on the $400 deal Adorama had. I added the 20mm f1.7 lens and took so many great photos over the holidays of family. The kids aren't as shy with the Pen compared to the E-3 and 12-60 pointing at them and it's a lot easier to get nice candid shots of everyone (just wished it focused as fast as the kit lens).

I'm going to sell some of my 4/3 kit that I'm no longer using (E-520, kit lenses, 25mm pancake, and 70-300mm) and then see how much I still feel I need my E-3 kit. I might find that m4/3 suits all my needs. My younger brother was so impressed with the E-PM1 that he also just ordered his own yesterday!
  12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm also thinking to get this little one but I read about faulty IBIS. Is that true?
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think this passage from the OP is critical to understanding the current vibe with the E-PM1. A lot of it is about expectations. The E-PM1 was a dud to many enthusiasts after the initial announcement and spec sheet were released. After some nice sale pricing and positive early feedback more people are trying the camera and are coming away impressed/pleasantly surprised. Low expectations help boost positive feelings about the camera.

I think that expectation factor can be huge. Consider the GF2. Expectations were very high, in that it would be an improvement over the beloved GF1. When it was a different camera altogether, and expectations were not met, it was not well-received. Fast forward a year, give or take, and more people are saying "Hey, this is a pretty good camera." The expectation factor, negative in this case, is gone and the camera can stand on it's own merits.
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, it was. I'm not sure if the giveaway helped them at all, but I really liked the camera. Loved how easy it was to throw in a coat pocket, even with the 45/1.8 attached.
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That is a good point, the E-PM1 surpassed what were likely fairly low expectations. That sid, I find that I am VERY impressed by it as a whole. Olympus really thought about the design and I think delivered a real well thought out and beautifully executed camera that has wide appeal. It's simple enough to attract point d shoot users yet configurable enough to satisfy enthusiasts. Part of it for me is that I find the E-PM1 really well put together. This may seem silly but the dial is much nicer and has a really good feel compared to the one on the E-PL2.
  16. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    The E-PM1 is small, light and easy to bring everywhere (which for me is what m4/3 is all about). It has the same sensor and software as the more expensive E-PL3 and E-P3. Everything related to IQ is the same... fast AF, good ISO performance, weak AA, can use the same lenses, etc. So I looked at it and decided "do I really need an articulating screen? No. Do I really need a touchscreen? No. How important are extra buttons and dials? They're nice, but not worth a huge premium." I think Olympus failed to cripple its entry level camera enough to make me lust after the more expensive versions. I ordered one and I'm thrilled with it so far!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well said.
  18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    On Christmas Day, my mission is to capture a few family snapshots/scenes/portraits. I had several cameras with me, but I quickly gravitated to my newest: the E-PM1. It doesn't have what I most desire in a camera: buttons, a good grip, and an EVF. Well...maybe I should say it doesn't have what I THOUGHT I most desired. I wound up not even taking the other cams out of their bags, except for the GRD3 on a couple occasions. The E-PM1 was fit for purpose in that kind of setting.
  19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had an E-PM1, switched out for an E-PL3, and then returned the E-PL3 and went back to the E-PM1. In terms of price and features, the E-PM1 is the clear winner. I just couldn't justify the extra price for the E-PL3. Not to mention I was able to get it for $399. I also tried the E-P3, and really I don't think it's worth the extra price either. To me the sweet spot Pen cameras are the E-PM1 and E-PL2.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If you compare the E-PM1, E-PL3, & E-P3, then yep, the E-PM1 mostl likely your best "bang for your buck".....:smile: