Does it make sense to keep my Panasonic 14mm 2.5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pepinto_, Feb 7, 2016.

1. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello all!!

I'm owner of an E-M10 mk1, and my two lenses were the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 and the Olympus 25mm 1.8.
    Then I decided to buy a Panasonic 12-32 to use when I go out to a walk for a "more flexible" shooting ( I admit, I am lazy and don't like to swap lenses when I am in the street or country ... the lens can drop, the sensor can pick up dust ....).

Now, having the little pancake zoom, does it makes sense to keep the Panasonic 14mm 2.5?

I know, it is about 1 stop fast, but...

What is your opinion on that?

Btw, a black E-M10 with a silver 12-32 is a "sexy little beast" :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454860640.849908.

Best regards,

2. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Considering the selling price of the 14 f/2.5, does it make sense to sell it?

The 14 f/2.5 is a "true" pancake (even when in use), and the difference in aperture is not so negligible...
    Sometime I just like using a prime and not a zoom... so I keep both.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Personally I wouldn't, but I haven't been able to justify the 14mm anyway, so that's me. The extra 12mm end of the 12-32 would be a big advantage for me, and the OIS helps claw back the 1-stop advantage of the 14mm in some low light conditions (for Panasonic users - not a big issue for you, I guess!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Generally I sell something camera related because:
    1. I want to buy something else (camera related or otherwise) without investing more money or to partially offset that purchase.
    2. I have something I have not used for a extended period of time (couple months).
    Point 2 is what proves whether something is truly redundant rather than just going by specs so personally I would keep the 14mm and see whether you still find yourself using it. Unless of course point 1 applies in which case sell it and at the least you still have the focal range covered.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I've owned both the 14/2.5 and 12-32, and I would say the 12-32 can easily replace the 14. Yes, the 14 is faster, but neither are especially fast, and both are too slow and wide to provide shallow DOF, so the 1 stop would be mostly useful for getting a faster shutter speed in low light. Even then, both are relatively wide, so you only need about 1/25 or 1/30 shutter speed, and with the EM10's IBIS, you can safely go much lower than that unless you're shooting a moving subject. So, the 14mm will be a little better if you're in low light, shooting moving subjects, is that something you do often? Even then one stop is not extreme.

Let's look at it a different way. Let's say you have both the 14 and 12-32 with you, but the 12-32 is on the camera. Would you bother to stop and swap lenses to use the 14?

As heli-mech says, it really depends on if you're actually going to use the 14/2.5 now that you have the 12-32. If you use both often, I would keep both, because the 14/2.5 is only worth about $150 on the used market. Otherwise, if you stop using it, I would sell it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Yeah, I would part-exchange it for something like the O45 or Sigma 60 that would give you access to a different focal length than what you already have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Probably not, but sometimes I like to take only the 14 with me... and not the 12-32.
    Different lenses for different moods...

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It depends how good your copy of the 14 is. I've heard a lot of reports of fairly dramatic sample variation (this guys says he went through 11 copies Micro Four Thirds (MFT) Lens Reviews). Mine isn't particularly good. I've used it a lot, and I've taken some good photos with it, but its the only lens I own where I feel I have to work around its limitations. If I had a good copy I would keep it for sure simply because I like the focal length and its tiny.

9. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you for your opinion.
    I think I will keep the Panasonic 14mm, and depending on the usage in the following months, I will decide.
    It's resell value is not that high, and the most wise decision is to keep it.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

And this is where I go off on a rant... You have 'heard of reports' then link to a site of someone who doesn't appear to be quite running on all cylinders.

Lens variation is over exaggerated> I am sure it happens... but I will bet not as often as poor photographers proclaim

K

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I owned the 14mm and the 20mm pancakes. I ended up finding that for me, the 20mm just produced great pictures, while the 14mm was meh and wasn't a focal length that I frequently wanted. The end result was that I hardly ever was motivated to use the 14mm. Again, I stress "for me."

I decided to replace the 14mm with the 12-32mm zoom. The image quality seems just as good as the 14mm and while it gathers less light than the 14mm, it isn't too bad in that regards and I really like the flexibility it offers in combination with the 20mm. (If I need the light, I use the 20mm, if I need the range of focal length, I can switch to the zoom.) I have been very happy with the switch.

To be honest though, I still don't use the zoom much. It is reassuring to have it on hand, but I am so happy with the 20mm, that mostly I just switch between it and my Sigma 60mm.

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I suppose I'm more attentive to reports like this since my copy is very obviously soft on the left 1/3 of the fame. I would have returned it but it was a "new but separated from kit" buy off of eBay.

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Really not trying to get angry on this ..... but you are basically denigrating a lens, which in my experience delivers a perfectly acceptable result given price, size and focal length
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/albums/72157629642069238

just because you bought one on ebay and read a website of someone with dubious credentials.. Nobody returns something 11 times

K

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Lol. If getting angry will serve you somehow, then please... be my guest. I don't mind.

But yes. My experience combined with stuff I read on the internet leads me to say stuff about it. Plenty on these forums have said worse about the P14 than "I've used it a lot, and I've taken some good photos with it, but its the only lens I own where I feel I have to work around its limitations".

Cheers!

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes.

24373679799_439fe91834_b.
    Winter Sky
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I have always found the P14 to be a pretty darned good lens and I agree with @kevinparis@kevinparis...it delivers perfectly acceptable results and I have had a few of them and over the years and never noticed much variation between them. I tend to agree that anyone retuning something 11 times would make me question how knowledgeable they are. I'm just sayin'...

So here's my question, why ask us? I should think you would know your situation far better than any of us would. Since you say that you feel you need to work around its limitations then ditch it. It doesn't matter how good or not good the lens is. I ditched an O45/1.8 because I didn't like it and it's usually regarded by everyone as a terrific lens. Life is waaaaaay too short for stuff like that to be any sort of quandary.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If your copy of the lens is as you say 'very obviously soft on the left 1/3 of the frame' then that is obviously a broken or faulty copy of the lens and not the lens Panasonic intended to deliver...

Building a story of how a lens is a bad lens because of your experience of a lens of unknown provenance and other peoples dubious experience of the lens doesn't actually hold much water

Not going to defend the 14/2.8 to the death...mainly because its not my favoured FL... but it is inexpensive and stupidly small and way better than it should be

7160774422_dbe688ee12_b. too many wise monkeys by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I debated long and hard about either replacing it (because I do like the focal length) or getting the PL15. I ended up getting the PL15. I'll use the 20 as my small kit, but I might replace the 14 someday. 28mm is one if my favorite focal lengths.

You are one of the voices here that stresses composition and creativity over gear. I started a thread last night titled "Inspiration", and bumped it up recently. Hopefully you have something to contribute. Have a look, and let's have a conversation about art instead of gear. :)

And I really have gotten some nice photos from it, I just have to stop down and post process a lot.

14025174472_448d1bf4bd_b. Storm over Santa Fe, NM by Gus Friedman, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  18. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The 14 f2.5 is one of the best of the compact m43 primes.

LensRentals.com - Wide-Angle Micro 4/3 Imatest Results

It isn't metal or sexy but it is sharp.

PC280099.

That being said I don't use mine that much because my fast zooms don't give up much. With a slower zoom being a full stop faster is an advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I would say that if you have to try 11 copies to get 1 good one, then the 10 "bad ones" are normal and the good one is "abnormal".

The 14 mm is not a great lens in terms of sharpness, it's not bad either, it's OK/good.
    And I just don't think the sharpness has been a problem on any picture I've taken with this lens.

20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have never sold a redundant lens, but the ability of the 12-32 to go wide and remain small, while only trading off a small amount of detail means I haven't used my P14 mm since I acquired the zoom.