1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does it make sense to collect digital cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dino1891, Mar 17, 2013.

1. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I really like to try out new cameras. Of course I don't have the money to keep all the cameras I try out. I usually wait until they go on a promotional sale months after its release or a used camera that has hardly been used. I use it for a bit, review it, sell it, then move on to the next new camera that is on sale.

There have been only a couple digital cameras that I have kept because I love them so much, but I immediately sell the ones that I do not really bond with. I sold one of those cameras a couple months ago, and I regret selling it since it did not sell for much, and I would much rather have it in my "collection".

I was wondering if you mu-43ers have a digital camera collection. Does it make sense to collect digital cameras like people used to collect film cameras?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I sell my bodies to upgrade. I know some guys who keep every camera they own. Really depends on the photog.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    does keeping digital cameras make any sense?... absolutely not 10- 20 years down the line the batteries will die and you wont be able to get replacements... then again good luck in finding 35mm film in 10 years time!!

That said I still have all my digital cameras going back to 2000 except one I passed on to a friend....

K

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I view bodies like I do computers, tablets, and, phones. They are short-lived at 1 - 3 years when at their prime, best to make those years well lived.

5. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Keep em if you love em. Why not?

I sold my 60D and lenses last year and don't miss it really. The OMD easily replaces it for my uses. But I still have my NEX F3 and plan to keep it, partly because I still love some of the features, and partly because it's associated with some great memories.

6. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Collecting is just a side effect of GAS :tongue:

7. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Yep, that explains a lot about the condition of my camera bag!

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it makes as much sense with digital as it did with film but there is nothing wrong with it either. One thing you can do with an older body is have it converted to IR.

9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Maybe for cameras with exceptional picture qualities. Like I recently accidentally ran across some old jpegs I shot with my 2003 model Olympus E-1 DSLR and I said to myself "Wow"! Beautiful colors that my OMD doesn't quite deliver.

10. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I would love to be your friend too....

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Depends on the camera. The 5d mark II is, what, 5 years old? Still a fantastic cam. I see myself using the E-M5 for at least 4 years, and keeping it as a backup after that.

I tend to use up bodies, so just shoot until they break. Have a 300D (original canon digital rebel) that still produces great files in the right light, but is painfully slow, low res and worth nothing. So I keep it.

12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There are 2 reasons to collect a particular sort of thing. One is because you believe it will be an investment, that what you collect will increase in value, and it's that increase in value you are chasing. The other reason is because you like the objects you are collecting and you're collecting them for the fun of it.

You don't have to ask if it makes sense if you want to collect for the second reason. Why care if it makes sense if it's enjoyable?

If you're collecting for the first reason you better be able to pick the cameras that will increase in value over time, the "classics" that people will still be chasing 50 years down the track. If you can't do that it's likely your investment will fall in value, not rise as you hope.

13. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    OK, let's do a practical example. What about the E-P1, the first digital Pen.

Do you believe it will increase its value in 10 yrs? Mind you, I have an E-P2 ant it is a beautiful object. Antiquarian value? History of Design, anyone?

14. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    As far as collecting digitals, the one thing I see keeping them from being perhaps functional in 10 years might be battery availability.

I have a fairly nice collection of old film cameras from 1924 to early 2000's and even the ones with meters can for the most part have substitute batteries put in them to make them work. The trickiest are the ones that had mercury cells.

But all these proprietary batteries for digitals! One can't but wonder if you'll be able to shoot them after a certain number of years after it becomes no longer financially rewarding for manufacturers to produce the batteries.

I have two digitals in my collection: one is an Olympus C-700UZ that I keep to remind me of my early digital work with Oly's; and I have an original Sony Mavica with the floppy disk drive that actually works well although it's only 640x480 resolution, lol. The Mavica was pretty important in establishing digital cameras as viable I think so I don't mind including it.

Some of the early pro digitals would be nice, but I haven't picked any up yet.

I suspect though that the earliest mft cameras like E-P1 would be considered collectable for the same reason I consider the Mavica collectable: it and the Panasonic G1 really started something.

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The digital cameras I have in my 'collection' are those cameras it didn't make sense to sell due to the fact that they simply aren't worth very much if anything. I don't believe there are any digital cameras that are/will become classics that people will seek out in the future. There was a thread on a Fuji message board asking if the X100 will be a collectible camera down the line and my response was to point to the E-P1 and say that at one time I believe some people were saying the same thing about it - now it goes for around $100.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't think any digital bodies will retain the value some of their analogue brethren have - they do go out of date, and though same may eventually be of historical interest, I'm guessing prices will only go down.

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Collect lenses and not bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1, like K, I don't re-sell my old stuff but give them away to family and friends.

Gary

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I still have my first dSLR, a 20D. It was the camera that rekindled my passion for photography after a hiatus of a decade or more.

Gary