1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does It Bother You That You're Rarely IN The Photographs?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JStheoriginal, Apr 14, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Sometimes I wish there were some better photos of me on trips/get togethers...because since I'm the one with the better camera, I usually look like I wasn't there. Of course, there's pics taken with point and shoots/iPhones, but they aren't as good. And if I give my camera to someone to take a pic it's obviously non-candid and blurry lol.

Oh well. Always the bridesmaid never the bride. ;)

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Nope. I've been told that I have the perfect face for radio...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The opposite - I'm glad I have the camera precisely because I DON'T want to be in the photo !

4. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Once, a musician for the Wicked Tinkers came off stage at an outdoor concert, grabbed my camera and took a picture of me, which was fun and was enjoyed by the audience. As a concert photographer I try to be invisible.

Generally, I prefer being behind the camera than in front of it.

5. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Don't get me wrong...I definitely prefer being behind the camera. I just look back and see memories in photo of others and WISH I was photogenic and in pics with those I took photos of.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes! I recently was looking through some old holiday photos with friends, and someone said to me, "Where were you? I thought you were at this Thanksgiving dinner." Of course, I was. I was behind the camera!

At my funeral, there will be a dearth of photos of me, save all the kiddy photos my dad took eons ago. :redface:

7. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Lol and cry at the same time.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Next time you give someone your gear, set your camera to "Auto"...:wink:

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Thankfully, my wife tells me to hand her the camera enough that I am in some shots at least. Not always in the "portrait" shots, but at least a few candids.

10. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Yeah I'll have to. Since I have mine set to centre focus and recompose, it often doesn't work for people to just take it and shoot lol.

11. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Nope, I'd rather stay out of as many photos as possible.

12. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    when my baby was born, people asked why there were no pictures of us together. i had the leica m6 at her birth so i would have to focus for someone and tell them where to stand.

this photo taken by my father-in-law might be the only one that came out right

olivia-33.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    An entire generation of family photos exist - on both my side of the family and my wife's side of the family - with only a couple that include me. For a while it bothered me and I made it my business to leave my camera home at gatherings. But no one else picked up the task of taking photos. So I started taking them again.

I have tried to teach family members how to shoot decent images. Most claim in incompetence in this area but the truth is, they're just not interested. When I attempt to teach them a very simple skill, they just become impatient. So, I've given up. It bothers me more now that, instead of giving relatives the second print, I gve them discs wth more photos. But I know they'll never bother printing them and will probably look at them only once. *sigh*

14. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    One thing I'm glad about is how cell phone cameras are becoming so good. It at least allows others to take photos...and while they don't have DOF like a true camera, it's better than nothing!

15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It does bother me sometimes that I am never in the picture unless I set up the self timer. I guess this is the price to pay for being the photographer LOL!

16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I currently have a bad haircut and a lot of extra padding lol. So I'm good behind the lens! Hahahah!

17. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Beautiful pic.Is that your child bride?

18. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I'd rather not be reminded of how old I look now, so no, not bothered in the least.

19. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    I look terrible in pics, so no thank you. :rolleyes:

20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I feel the same way! I would like to be in more photos but I haven't come up with a good solution really. I've used a tripod + timer in the past, or handed people my camera (GX1 + iAuto is close to a P&S in operation at least). And my GH3 now includes wifi with an iPhone control app which will be interesting to trial. But, that only gets me posed photos with my wife on vacation and things like that.

What I really enjoy the most is when at least one other person on the trip/at an event is a photographer, and we get candid shots of each other laughing, having fun and just generally documenting that we were in fact actually there :tongue:

Unfortunately, I only know a few photographers, so it's not often I get to enjoy that luxury. A few of my camping buddies are photographers (one of them is a pro photog by trade also), so that works out great when we go together. I wouldn't mind teaching my wife at least some basic photography skills so she could get more shots of me, but so far I've yet to drum up interest on her side.