1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

does gx7 have video size and time limit?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by weee, Nov 10, 2013.

1. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    like 5g or 5min limit while shooting videos?

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

In the UK there is a 30 min limitation for VAT reasons.

3. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ^I believe that's true of all PAL versions, in order to avoid being classified as video cameras, and thus subject to a 5-12% import duty in Europe. The NTSC version, since it's not sold in the EU, doesn't have that limitation. At least the NTSC G5 and G6 don't have any limits. You can record until you fill up the card, or if you have a giant 128GB card, when the battery dies.

4. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    The manual says this on page 37:

There's nothing similar regarding AVCHD, so I take that to mean you can record until the card is full in that format.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Just checked page 37 of the manual. The maximum continuous recording time for AVCHD is 29 minutes 59 seconds. The maximum continious for MP4 is 29 minutes 59 seconds or up to 4 GB. Available video recording is listed in a table on page 36 sorted by Rec Quality and card size. What I take from this is in, for example, AVCHD (FHD/50p) a 32 GB card will hold a total of 2 hours 31 minutes of video, but the maximum continuous shooting time is 29 minutes 59 seconds. I am by no means a video expert. Perhaps someone who knows more about the subject can clarify this.

Mike

6. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    I thought about the information on that table as well, but ultimately my takeaway was that because they specifically mention MP4 - and only MP4 - in the notes on Page 37, it implies that there is no continuous recording time limit for AVCHD format (except for the limit imposed by the card being used).

IMO if there was the same limit of 29s59m for both formats, they would have just written the notes on page 37 to say,
    But that's just my opinion.. interpreting user manuals isn't always an exact science to say the least :16suspect1:

7. bradbrooks

bradbrooks New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2013
    I just tested this with my GX7 and here is what I found. I recorded 1080p @60fps AVCHD (28mbps) writing to a 32GB Transcend card.
    Recording went on for about 112 minutes continuously before I shut it off on my own. When I pulled the SD card up in my computer I noticed there were 4 mts files about 4gb each (I've not worked with this file type before). However when I bring any one file into Premiere it comes in as the full 112 min recording in 1 piece! I am happy to see this because I too was unclear about the manual before I bought the camera and even called Panasonic Tech support which told me very clearly that it would not record any more than 29min59 sec. Mine is a US model btw.

• Like Like x 1