1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does focus peaking work with old manual lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by batcatman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. batcatman

batcatman New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Thailand
    I just recently bought an E-M1 and I have some old Nikkor glass and an adapter back in the States. I was thinking of having them sent over, but I am wondering if focus peaking works with the old lenses? Just curious about this.

The E-M1 is certainly is a nice upgrade from my well-used GH-1, and the Lumix 20mm 1.7 lens works nicely.

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Yes it works. There are people who use manual lenses more than me so take note of what they suggest. I generally use peaking to get close to focus and then magnify to nail it. I'm sure there are people who just use peaking and others who just use magnify. Find out what works best for you. One thing I do know is I get better focus with these than trying on my old DSLR OVF.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Firmware upgrade v.4 made the peaking in colors instead of just BnW , I asign Magnify n Focus Peaking on custom knobs to facilitate manual focusing . IBIS of OLYMPUS is still the best in the market n E-M1 has the best handling due to it's shape , especially when using heavier legacy lenses .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I did not know the E-M1 can do peaking and magnify on the same button.
    I tried peaking with my E-P5 but on low contrast Russian lenses I was getting a lot of "snow" and was not really sure if things were actually in focus or not.
    Now I mainly use magnify 10x or 14x and focusing is spot on.
    With lenses like Vivitar (and relatively recent Nikkor, I guess) the focus peaking works fine tho

5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Yes, focus peaking works with any lens. However, one caveat with a manual lens: You have to manually enable focus peaking by setting it to a custom button. You can't activate peaking by simply rotating the focus barrel of a manual lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Not on the same button , I set Magnify on Fn2 n Peaking on Fn1 .

7. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I guess the E-M1 has one more button to set functions than the E-P5, coz I run out of Fn buttons to set shortcut function that I don't wish to dig through the menu...
    it seems that the new PEN-F has addressed that.
    Thank you for the clarification; the E-M1 is just more "pro" oriented" than my E-P5...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    And IBIS works too, you just have to set the correct focal length.

This could be of interest:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. batcatman

batcatman New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Thailand
    All very useful replies. Thanks very much.