1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does electronic shutter (Oly/Pan) prevent banding with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Egregius V, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I'd like to know if any of you can verify what I've just seen. I just tested a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 II pancake lens with an Olympus E-M5 II. Unfortunately, when photographing in shadow, I saw banding with this combo - getting progressively more noticeable as ISO increased. This contradicts a few claims out there that the banding doesn't occur with the E-M5 Mark II. Then, I tried the silent (electronic) shutter mode and was amazed: no banding at all! I tested up to ISO6400 multiple times and found no banding in RAW or JPEG images produced by the camera. Going back to mechanical shutter (anti-shock setting), I saw the banding reappear.

I haven't seen any reports of this before. Can anyone else confirm my findings, using an E-M5 II or a Panasonic camera with electronic shutter? Please bear in mind that there are two kinds of banding - that introduced into sensor noise by the 20mm lens and that which is created by the electronic shutter in the presence of artificial light (usually at shutter speeds faster than 1/60s, as far as I know). I am not interested in the latter, just the banding with the 20mm lens. :thumbsup:

Many thanks! Hoping this turns out to be a real and usable solution.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Update: I just verified this behavior again. Also with the 14mm f/2.5 (which exhibits the same banding to a lesser degree).

• Like Like x 1
  3. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    A bit of a late response, but I got a 20mm version ii for my em5 ii today. I had heard about the banding issue before but never really took it seriously, until now. I did not notice it when testing the lens in the camera store. Using the normal shutter, I get some very light banding with ISOs as low as 1000 if I'm unlucky, it usually becomes a problem around 3200 or 6400.

I tried the electronic shutter method, and it seems to work. I took some test shots, intentionally trying to create as much banding as I could, small aperture, iso 6400, 1.5 stops underexposed, against a plain white wall in dim flourescent lighting. The results were horrendous. I tried the same thing with the e-shutter, no more horrible banding, just really ugly noise.

The banding issue is quite frustrating and one we really shouldn't have to deal with, people buy fast primes like this to shoot in low light with high ISOs, a flaw like this defeats a lot of this lens' purpose, but it is what it is. I think this is a viable solution, just have to make sure we use appropriate shutter speeds indoors now to prevent banding of the other sort under artificial lighting. Thanks a lot for the idea :) it really seems to work, for now at least.

• Informative Informative x 1