Does E-M5 III have any advantages over E-M1 II?

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
thru WiFi which eats a ton of battery. Bluetooth will give me a solution that won't use much battery that's why I'm very interested in this feature.
With that tiny battery your going to need all the help you can get or you could get a very good price on an em1 mk2 which you can use the WiFi function for much longer

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
With that tiny battery your going to need all the help you can get or you could get a very good price on an em1 mk2 which you can use the WiFi function for much longer
I'm more interested in the form factor of the em5iii, I'll just get a few extra batteries same as what I did with my em5ii.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Someone mentioned lower energy Bluetooth and USB charging, well I’ve seen a review where 30 mins of video is all you get from a battery and as for USB charging that’s no good either as you cant use the camera while charging so might as well carry extra batteries, hang on a minute doesn’t that negate the lighter camera thing, HMMM maybe I’m getting old and cynical.
No, the camera is software limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. I haven't measured it, but I believe my G85 will do about an hour of continuous recording on a single battery, and 2 with the battery grip.
The limitation is because of a law/tariff in Europe that has a special import tax for anything considered professional video (which they determined to be anything that can record for 30 minutes or longer).

However they did away with that law last year I thought, and shouldn't even be a requirement anymore.

It is that 30~minute limitation on most of the bodies that keeps me from upgrading (and not sure why even the E-M1 ii shows it being limited as well, thought video was one of the big things they pitched about it). But as far as not being physically or software able to record past 30 minutes due to battery or otherwise, no, you should be able to record longer than that, as even the old E-M1 Mk1 will do several 30 minute videos with a single battery and card. And the hacked GH1 I have can do about hour and a half to two before it's battery dies (though the GH1 is limited to 32GB cards max, which fills up pretty well with the 100mbps data rate).

My GH4 can easily do about 2 to 3 hours of recording (C4K 100mbps) with a single charge of it's battery, but the GH4's battery is kind of a monster.

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
No, the camera is software limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. I haven't measured it, but I believe my G85 will do about an hour of continuous recording on a single battery, and 2 with the battery grip.

You should be able to use a dummy battery to run the camera much longe
The limitation is because of a law/tariff in Europe that has a special import tax for anything considered professional video (which they determined to be anything that can record for 30 minutes or longer).

However they did away with that law last year I thought, and shouldn't even be a requirement anymore.

It is that 30~minute limitation on most of the bodies that keeps me from upgrading (and not sure why even the E-M1 ii shows it being limited as well, thought video was one of the big things they pitched about it). But as far as not being physically or software able to record past 30 minutes due to battery or otherwise, no, you should be able to record longer than that, as even the old E-M1 Mk1 will do several 30 minute videos with a single battery and card. And the hacked GH1 I have can do about hour and a half to two before it's battery dies (though the GH1 is limited to 32GB cards max, which fills up pretty well with the 100mbps data rate).

My GH4 can easily do about 2 to 3 hours of recording (C4K 100mbps) with a single charge of it's battery, but the GH4's battery is kind of a monster.
The limitation that I mention is the battery and the information came from a video posted by Robin Wong an Olympus visionary so hopefully he knows what he’s talking about, WHY don't you go and watch them.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
The limitation that I mention is the battery and the information came from a video posted by Robin Wong an Olympus visionary so hopefully he knows what he’s talking about, WHY don't you go and watch them.
Is the battery that weak? (and yet coincidentally the same 29~30 minutes as the limitations for EU reasons?)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Is the battery that weak? (and yet coincidentally the same 29~30 minutes as the limitations for EU reasons?)
I'm at work right now, so I can't look.

Olympus America does not list the capacities nor does it have a picture of the back of the battery. So I went to Amazon, to look up the official Olympus and Panasonic batteries there. Obviously take any manufacturer's claims about battery capacity with a grain of salt, but here are the values:
  • Olympus BLN-1 (E-m5 mark II, E-m1 mark I, Pen-F): 1,220 mAh, nominal voltage & watt hours not listed (*);
  • Olympus BLS-50 (E-m5 mark III, E-m10 mark II): 1,210 mAh, nominal voltage 7.2 volts, 8.712 watt hours;
  • Olympus BLH-1 (E-m1 mark II, E-m1x): 1,720 mAh, nominal voltage 7.4 volts, 12.8 watt hours;
  • Panasonic DMW-BCL12 (G85): 1,200 mAh, nominal voltage 7.2 volts, watt hours not listed (**);
  • Panasonic DMW-BLF19 (G9, GH5): 1,860 mAh, nominal voltage 7.2 volts, 14.0 watt hours.
* I know that the BLN-1's nominal voltage is higher than the BLS-50's, and it probably is around 7.4 volts. That would mean the watt hours is 9.028.

** The watt hours for the DMW-BCL12 should be 8.64.

This means the average BLN-1 battery has perhaps 4.4% more power than a BLS-50 (9.028 vs. 8.712). That is likely within sample variation, so an E-m5 mark III be roughly the same as the E-m5 mark II, E-m1 mark I, or the G85.

And the numbers do show that the E-m1 mark II and G9/GH5 do have much longer runtimes due to their larger batteries.

I don't remember exactly how long my G85 lasts per battery, but generally it is in the region of 1.5 - 2 hours. I would imagine the same would hold for the E-m5 mark III. I recall in my last show, that about at the 1 hour 15 minute mark, the indicator was on that the battery in the grip was getting low, but it hadn't yet switched to the battery in the body, so it may have had 10-15 minutes left. I unfortunately did forget to top off the battery the night before.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
  • Olympus BLN-1 (E-m5 mark II, E-m1 mark I, Pen-F): 1,220 mAh, nominal voltage & watt hours not listed (*);
  • Olympus BLS-50 (E-m5 mark III, E-m10 mark II): 1,210 mAh, nominal voltage 7.2 volts, 8.712 watt hours;
  • Olympus BLH-1 (E-m1 mark II, E-m1x): 1,720 mAh, nominal voltage 7.4 volts, 12.8 watt hours;
Thanks Michael. Looks like the battery power is the equal of my E-M5 II and the original E-M1.

That means it is not especially weak and the equal of other Oly bodies of the same size. Not a reason to avoid the camera IMHO.

No match for the E-M1 II but that is a bigger and heavier body, and we expect the top pro bodies to have extra battery power. I'm happy to accept that situation as normal.

cheers

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Where did the less noise come from? It's the same sensor and processing engine.
It is the same sensor as the E-m1 mark II (modulo some tweaks). If however you are upgrading from the E-m5 mark II with its 16MP sensor, many people feel the 20MP sensor does give a 1/2 or so stop better performance in low light situations.

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
According to Robin Wong yes it is, did you watch his YouTube video on the E-M5 MKIII video capabilities?

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
No, its a bashing campaign (same thing repeated too many times) by someone who I don't need in this thread, which is about E-M5 III advantages.

Battery life during video as per JEITA test standard, is 60 minutes and the E-M5 II is 80 minutes, so it is 3/4 the life of the previous model. But it does 4k video.

For still-image photos the battery CIPA rating is exactly the same as the previous model, but shooting 20 MP instead of 16 MP.

Also the battery's electrical charge capacity is exactly the same (OK, 99.2%) as the previous model.

So, as you can see, the battery performance has not gone backwards overall, after allowing for 4k video.

The battery performance seems to be perfectly as-per-expectations for a small-body-format mirrorless camera. Which will never equal what you get with a larger, heavier mirrorless camera that takes a bigger battery. Obviously!

Wong even made it clear in his written article that he just got a subjective impression because he has been spending a lot of time lately with a bigger-bodied, heavier camera with a bigger battery. To quote, "I am shooting with E-M1 Mark II as my workhorse, which has a larger capacity battery...". That's why.

Anyone used to E-M5 models and equivalent cameras, will not notice any battery issue at all.

cheers

Rob Trek

Mu-43 Regular
It's a bit smaller and lighter. Got it.

But does it have any advantages at all in terms of features or specifications?

[edit: answers that have come to light so far in this thread:-
  1. 120 fps video
  2. "Custom AF" option
  3. Bluetooth
  4. USB charging
  5. OLED EVF wih longer eye sight distance
I picked up my em5-iii yesterday. I think there is some confusion on #2 "Custom AF". This is not the same as "Target Mode Settings" that is found on the EM1x. Both the E-M5iii and E-M1ii have a "Custome Settings" menu item for setting how to control the focus point via buttons and dials.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom