Does E-M5 III have any advantages over E-M1 II?

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
It's a bit smaller and lighter. Got it.

But does it have any advantages at all in terms of features or specifications?

[edit: answers that have come to light so far in this thread:-
  1. 120 fps video
  2. "Custom AF" option
  3. Bluetooth
  4. USB charging
  5. OLED EVF wih longer eye sight distance

Last edited:

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks.
  • 120 fps video
  • Bluetooth
  • USB charging
Nothing in terms of still photography, then?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I'll stick to my E-M1 II since its ergonomics suit me, but the OLED EVF may help with my glasses, except it's the back of my glasses that gets smudges on them though & then I have to stop & clean them. :(

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
Someone mentioned lower energy Bluetooth and USB charging, well I’ve seen a review where 30 mins of video is all you get from a battery and as for USB charging that’s no good either as you cant use the camera while charging so might as well carry extra batteries, hang on a minute doesn’t that negate the lighter camera thing, HMMM maybe I’m getting old and cynical.

Personally the price that you can get an em1 mk2 for that’s what I would get, yes its a bit bigger and heavier but you get a battery that lasts and it comes with a grip which I have noticed on most em5 mk3 reviews they use one so making the price of the em1 mk2 price even better.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I understand the relative pros for the E-M1 II. I want to dedicate this thread to the relative pros for the new E-M5 III other than size and weight.

I am keeping a tally at the top of the thread.

....well I’ve seen a review where 30 mins of video is all you get from a battery
See if you can get confirmation from that reviewer whether he actually stopped because video (as per the spec sheet) is limited to 29 minutes (same as E-M1 II). Personally I think that is what happened: it is too big a coincidence. Video battery life as per the spec sheet is 60 minutes for the JEITA test, and 110 minutes when not adjusting the camera (which probably means MF and not zooming). The E-M1 II is 90 and 150 minutes respectively.

and as for USB charging that’s no good either as you cant use the camera while charging....
What scenario are you describing here? How would you use the camera while charging?

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Someone mentioned lower energy Bluetooth and USB charging, well I’ve seen a review where 30 mins of video is all you get from a battery and as for USB charging that’s no good either as you cant use the camera while charging so might as well carry extra batteries, hang on a minute doesn’t that negate the lighter camera thing, HMMM maybe I’m getting old and cynical.
No, the camera is software limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. I haven't measured it, but I believe my G85 will do about an hour of continuous recording on a single battery, and 2 with the battery grip.

You should be able to use a dummy battery to run the camera much longer.

Personally the price that you can get an em1 mk2 for that’s what I would get, yes its a bit bigger and heavier but you get a battery that lasts and it comes with a grip which I have noticed on most em5 mk3 reviews they use one so making the price of the em1 mk2 price even better.
Different strokes for different folks. Choice is good. BTW, the E-m1 mark II and E-m1x are similarly limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. Likewise the Panasonic G9 is limited (but the G90/G95 aren't limited, and neither is the GH5/GH5s).

What scenario are you describing here? How would you use the camera while charging?
I'm not the OP, but I do some amount of long video recording. At times, I have used an external battery to run the camera using either a dummy battery or by using the external voltage port in the E-m5 and E-m1 battery grips.

At other times, I have been doing video with the camera on a sturdy tripod, and I have changed the grip battery in the camera while the camera is running (mostly G85, but I probably also did it to the E-m1 mark I) . Since the cameras have a grip, and I have set up the default to use the grip battery first, I do the change when I notice the camera has switched to the in-body battery. As soon as I close the battery door, the camera switches back to the grip battery.

What I would like to do is setup the camera with its normal batteries. At times, I would want to add an additional power pack to both charge the batteries and also run the camera. That way if the power pack runs out of juice (or the cable gets yanked out, etc.) the camera has freshly charged batteries to continue operation. The few times I did use the external battery method, I did have the cable come out, so for me at least, it is an issue.

Tether tools has an external battery setup, where the dummy battery is connected to a normal 2 cell lipo battery, and that battery can be hot charged as it is used (note, however Tether Tools does not provide a BLS dummy battery that the E-m5 mark III could use -- and after getting the setup, I'm not enthralled with their quality control, but it is an example of use):
There is a source for dummy BLS batteries (alibaba).

In previous years, I would do the video for a small renaissance faire (they are taking a breather this year). While in general acts are 30 minutes, I've had some acts that go a little over their time limit. But they key point is I'm recording out in the field for something like 6 hours/day, with only 1-2 lunch/bathroom breaks. There are no outlets that I can use, so I need to carry all of the power I need for the entire day.

I also have a friend that asks me to record his entire show (1.5 hours). Afterwards, I can break it up into separate acts, without having to worry about missing something in a scene change. This show is typically only done once, and I'm not involved in their rehearsals, so I have no real idea where the stopping points are. I try to use a b-camera to record the show just in case the main camera breaks. On one show, I was using the Panasonic LX10 as the b-camera, and its battery died in about an hour's time. After that show, I did discover a dummy battery for the LX10, and I used it for the next show that I recorded.

Finally, my niece got married last year, and they had no money for photos or video. Her aunt did the photos, and I shot the video. Unfortunately, the main ceremony went on to 35 minutes. When you are recording unscripted events, at times things will not fit in convenient 30 minute windows.

While I likely will buy the E-m5 mark III due to the OLED viewfinder, I probably would have bought it when it was announced if it didn't have a video record limit, and I could either power the camera with USB-C (with the battery still in the body as backup) or it had a grip with a second battery.

Last edited:

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
It's a bit smaller and lighter. Got it.

But does it have any advantages at all in terms of features or specifications?

[edit: answers that have come to light so far in this thread:-
  1. 120 fps video
  2. Bluetooth
  3. USB charging
  4. OLED EVF wih longer eye sight distance
You can add Custom AF like the EM1-x. That's something I'd like to see on my EM1 mk II.
Another plus in my opinion is future firmwares; I'm not sure we will see another firmware for the Em1 mk II but the new em5 will potentially have great firmware updates down the road. So you can say it's more "future-proof".

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
c

Can you control the camera via oi share thru Bluetooth or is it just used for viewing pictures?
I think so. I think the intention is to provide this better method than WiFi (replace it? or maybe just add), so it is used for the same operations, including control the camera remotely like with a smartphone. I HOPE so!

Last edited:

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
I think so. I think the intention is to provide this better method than WiFi (replace it? or maybe just add), so it is used for the same operations, including control the camera remotely like with a smartphone. I HOPE so!
this would be big for me, no need for my cable shutter release

XR1505

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, I understand the relative pros for the E-M1 II. I want to dedicate this thread to the relative pros for the new E-M5 III other than size and weight.

I am keeping a tally at the top of the thread.

See if you can get confirmation from that reviewer whether he actually stopped because video (as per the spec sheet) is limited to 29 minutes (same as E-M1 II). Personally I think that is what happened: it is too big a coincidence. Video battery life as per the spec sheet is 60 minutes for the JEITA test, and 110 minutes when not adjusting the camera (which probably means MF and not zooming). The E-M1 II is 90 and 150 minutes respectively.

I’m sure you’ve watched Robin Wongs first impression video where as an “Olympus Visionary” he stated that he only got 500 shots from the mk3 battery which is half of what he gets from the mk2 his second video was all about the video capabilities of the mk3 and in his words “I only got just 30 minutes of video before the battery was flat.

As for you other query as to what scenario would i use the camera while charging while using the bloody video feature would be my first use or do I stop the action remove the extra grip change the battery replace the grip turn the camera back on.

Your the one compiling the list I’m sure you have looked at every video out there just like me, I have waited a long time for this camera to be released to find out they could have done this years ago as its all old tech handed down from the em1 mk2 apart from a few very minor tweaks as mentioned by Pluttis with the anti shock turning on automatically when shutter speeds are 1/320or slower, well personally like many other em5 mk2 and em1 mk2 users the anti shock set to 0 seconds is my default so i dont care if the bloody thing does it automatically or not. Bloody hell some of you people are pedantic about stuff, just so you know I have been using Olympus MFT gear since 2005 and have always updated my gear when Olympus bring out new versions because they always had something new to offer that was until the em5 mk3 which is just a small plastic em1 mk2

Thanks for reading and byyy for now

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom