1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does B&H have instructional videos for Olympus OMD M5?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 2mnycars, Sep 7, 2015.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Edit. camera sold to a happy owner. I am searching for a replacement now

I have had mine two years

I am having trouble producing images that are in focus

For MOVING subjects.

toddlers outside, dogs on the run

I've never had so much trouble.

My worry is that my choice of settings cause this problem.
    I can't predict the point the subject will be at. I've had less problem with p&s cameras.

When I had a photo business, I had Nikon pro gear, and Leica M3's as a lightweight system.

Thanks (D300S otherwise).

DaveL

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What are your settings?

--Ken

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    There are demos and links to additional information on B&H's product pages. Have you look at any of the E-M5 pages?

--Ken

4. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    rushing to work. I shall post tonight

Thanks

5. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I shoot JPEG. I am colourblind. And I hate doing much post meddling.

My M5 is about 2 years old.
    Has grip. Has kit zoom. The weather sealed one. 12-50. firmware 2.1 for camera. 1.0 for 40-150 plastic R lens. 1.1 firmware for 12-50

usual shoot one frame at a time. one sensor. small spot

image stabilizer 1

AF mode S-AF

Release Priority S

Half way release with IS

Auto WB. I'm colour blind

Built in EVF style 3

Frame Rate Hi

My concern is that my settings may mess up focus on moving subjects

I have always appreciated having a lightweight system. However, I have never done so poorly focusing on moving subjects. My Sony F828 and Canon G9 worked better! and I mad those some time ago!

6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It's hard to nail down what is going wrong. Maybe some examples would help.
    In the meantime, I'll throw out some ideas that may be of help or completely off target...

I'm not saying it is the case, but it might just be that the subjects are too hard for the hardware. The old E-M5, of all the OM-Ds, was the least capable when it came to focusing on moving subjects (it was the first, after all). The 12-50 might also be too slow.

I am assuming the shutter is firing without lock? Or is it just hunting and refusing to shoot?

I think you are right to use S-AF rather than C-AF, as the success rate seemed better that way. That said, have you tried C-AF?

Try a larger block of focus points.

Not that it worked that well on the E-M5, but are you aware of the difference between C-AF and C-AF+Tracking?

Is face priority on? That could confuse it if there are multiple faces.

What shutter speed are you setting? (Sorry. Just ruling out motion blur as a factor). Have you tried Aperture Priority?

What is the lighting and the level of contrast in the scene? I don't think these would be culprits, but for people used to PDAF, it might be making a difference on how you are aiming.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks for answering. I sold my M5 to a happy new owner, after explaining the problems I had. I helped by resetting factory settings, in case they were the cause

I am looking for a replacement Oly or Pany now

Dave
    Sunlight. Some shadow sometimes

Thanks so much; I found a happy new owner. I am searching for a replacement system.

Dave

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Dave,

While you may find some difference in handling with a different model, I suspect that unless you work on adjusting/fine tuning your technique for shooting with mirrorless cameras, you just might just get the same results. IMHO, shooting with my Olympus bodies is just a different experience than shooting with my Nikon bodies (or my Ricoh GR), especially when it comes to moving objects. I have been shooting with mirrorless for about four years, and have to say that I still want to reach for my Nikon gear if I am shooting fast action and I have a choice. I have been working on shooting action with my E-M1, but cannot say that I have achieved a level of where all of the problems are from the camera. Practice, practice, practice!

Good luck,

--Ken

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The Northrups have some good ones. I think there is one for the e-m5 mark 2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Ken!
    Truly appreciated.
    I have always had a lightweight system. My posture is terrible from wearing a brace of Nikons, with fast glass, and motor drives, while shooting too many weddings
    I used a Leica M3 and then M4P.
    Mirror less--I have had too many. Sony NEX5. Nikon1V1. OlyM5. Oly Pen, whatever it was. a6000.

I loved the magic of Oly images. I just got resentful of the money I spent buying an early M5

I shoot for fun now. My M5 did so well with fixed subjects. in my hands it didn't do well enough.

Dave

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can understand the weight issues. Health issues initially drove me to m4/3rd's, but instead of reverting back to my Nikon gear, I now have two systems. I suspect that the M-1 or any of the newer Panasonic bodies might give you a bit of an edge over the E-M5 if set up properly and your technique was fine tuned. I use both the M-1 and M-5 bodies, and all else equal, I prefer my M-1. Perhaps you could pick one up refurbished when they run a 20% off sale? That might take out some of the sting from the M-5 purchase.

Good luck,

--Ken

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks so much

I am looking for a replacement. I will buy Pany before Olympus. Or Sony.