1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does appearance of the camera affect your desire to do more?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Braza, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    So, there is a question. Whether the appearance of the camera affect your desire to do more photos and to take it with you more often? :)

I found, that then i had Oly E-M5 I wanted to get it with me everywhere, but had to sell it. Now i have Panny GX1, and it has great IQ too, but the feel of it does not satisfy me and I don't carry it with me sometimes.

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Bit confused - are you talking ergonomics or appearance? :smile:

3. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm talking about appearance. :) The way how it looks. :)

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It certainly adds to the desirability of the camera. For me, its the lowest priority in a decision process.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor

Gotcha. I got confused when you started mentioning the 'feel' of the GX1 and how that put you off a little.

My engines are now firing on all cylinders and the dilithium crystals CAN take it. :biggrin:

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I like the appearance of the E-M5 personally but that shouldn't affect what it feels like in my hand nor should it really affect what I'm going to do with it.

I mean, it does have a full HLD-6 on it with either a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 or Sigma 18-35A, that doesn't look like a m43s setup by volume and appearance. On one side I have something that looks like a film SLR with an autowinder and on the other it looks like I mounted a 24-70 with a hood on a modern DSLR. I don't think I feel extra photographer-y from that. It sure makes other people alienate me for my choices with my possessions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The camera appearance has zero relevance to me, although the ergonomics certainly do matter.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    +1 for me, too. Everything else outranks it (hence why I got a G3) but would be nice.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me it matters, yes. I ended up selling my GX7 and E-M1 in favor of keeping my silver E-M5, and a small part of that decision was that I liked the E-M5 looks best of all. I do wish that my E-M5 looked like an E-P5 though :smile:.

• Like Like x 3
  10. usayit

I was about to say the same but then looking back I did pass up on a bright yellow Pentax K01 because I couldn't get pass the color and shape (I also didn't really "need" one). So I guess subconsciously at the very least, it makes a difference.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  12. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Well I'd say the colour, in that case, is a practical consideration - people are more likely to notice when you're taking a picture of them, making it harder to get candid shots!

13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I enjoy more using my equipment because of how they look. It's same with cars. I like to drive a car which is also pleasing to my eye (one could argue if Saab is good looking or not ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If the look of the camera is that important, might I suggest seeking out more desirable subjects?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My silver E-M10 seems to garner a lot of attention lately. Though I tell everyone it's just a dumbed down E-M5 with a pop-up flash, has the E-PL5/PM2 battery and less fancier IBIS! Nothing special. It's funny how the latest shiny objects warp perceived value!

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah Amin .. U nailed it for me and removed all the dilemma . I have ordered an EM1 body which would cost me only AUD 849 after cash back etc , but ... I went to three more stores , handled it again n again bad something was missing . I did sell my silver OMD , bought a black one and returned it . Finally I bought an EP5 but I have been missing EM5 . EM5 is like Usain Bolt of MFT world .. Sleek , fast and muscular . EM1 is bit beefy and when u add the grip it looks like a sumo wrestler :wink:. U have made my life easier Amin .. I am gonna pick up a black EM5 later on and EM1 order will be cancelled .Now OP , yes ergonomics and looks do matter . I bonded well with EPL2 earlier and now EM5 .
    Cheers

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Glad I could save you a few bucks :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin , u did actually . Luckily I didn't sell the HLD grip . I simply love the transformation of EM5 from small ordinary camera to a big serious piece of equipment with grip and flash .
    Cheers

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not many cameras have been so ugly it was a real problem. Ergonomics and size are another matter.

20. usayit

How about gold? LOL

I was having fun with my ol'E-PL1. Yeh.. I guess I'm a bit confused.

• Like Like x 1