Does appearance of the camera affect your desire to do more?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Braza, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    So, there is a question. Whether the appearance of the camera affect your desire to do more photos and to take it with you more often? :)

I found, that then i had Oly E-M5 I wanted to get it with me everywhere, but had to sell it. Now i have Panny GX1, and it has great IQ too, but the feel of it does not satisfy me and I don't carry it with me sometimes.

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler Subscribing Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Bit confused - are you talking ergonomics or appearance? :smile:

3. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm talking about appearance. :) The way how it looks. :)

4. It certainly adds to the desirability of the camera. For me, its the lowest priority in a decision process.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler Subscribing Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor

Gotcha. I got confused when you started mentioning the 'feel' of the GX1 and how that put you off a little.

My engines are now firing on all cylinders and the dilithium crystals CAN take it. :biggrin:

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I like the appearance of the E-M5 personally but that shouldn't affect what it feels like in my hand nor should it really affect what I'm going to do with it.

I mean, it does have a full HLD-6 on it with either a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 or Sigma 18-35A, that doesn't look like a m43s setup by volume and appearance. On one side I have something that looks like a film SLR with an autowinder and on the other it looks like I mounted a 24-70 with a hood on a modern DSLR. I don't think I feel extra photographer-y from that. It sure makes other people alienate me for my choices with my possessions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The camera appearance has zero relevance to me, although the ergonomics certainly do matter.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    +1 for me, too. Everything else outranks it (hence why I got a G3) but would be nice.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me it matters, yes. I ended up selling my GX7 and E-M1 in favor of keeping my silver E-M5, and a small part of that decision was that I liked the E-M5 looks best of all. I do wish that my E-M5 looked like an E-P5 though :smile:.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I was about to say the same but then looking back I did pass up on a bright yellow Pentax K01 because I couldn't get pass the color and shape (I also didn't really "need" one). So I guess subconsciously at the very least, it makes a difference.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  12. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Well I'd say the colour, in that case, is a practical consideration - people are more likely to notice when you're taking a picture of them, making it harder to get candid shots!

13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I enjoy more using my equipment because of how they look. It's same with cars. I like to drive a car which is also pleasing to my eye (one could argue if Saab is good looking or not ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If the look of the camera is that important, might I suggest seeking out more desirable subjects?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    My silver E-M10 seems to garner a lot of attention lately. Though I tell everyone it's just a dumbed down E-M5 with a pop-up flash, has the E-PL5/PM2 battery and less fancier IBIS! Nothing special. It's funny how the latest shiny objects warp perceived value!

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah Amin .. U nailed it for me and removed all the dilemma . I have ordered an EM1 body which would cost me only AUD 849 after cash back etc , but ... I went to three more stores , handled it again n again bad something was missing . I did sell my silver OMD , bought a black one and returned it . Finally I bought an EP5 but I have been missing EM5 . EM5 is like Usain Bolt of MFT world .. Sleek , fast and muscular . EM1 is bit beefy and when u add the grip it looks like a sumo wrestler :wink:. U have made my life easier Amin .. I am gonna pick up a black EM5 later on and EM1 order will be cancelled .Now OP , yes ergonomics and looks do matter . I bonded well with EPL2 earlier and now EM5 .
    Cheers

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Glad I could save you a few bucks :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin , u did actually . Luckily I didn't sell the HLD grip . I simply love the transformation of EM5 from small ordinary camera to a big serious piece of equipment with grip and flash .
    Cheers

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Not many cameras have been so ugly it was a real problem. Ergonomics and size are another matter.

20. How about gold? LOL

I was having fun with my ol'E-PL1. Yeh.. I guess I'm a bit confused.

• Like Like x 1