1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anyone use the Olympus MCON-P02 macro converter with the 17mm 1.8 and 14-42EZ lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kgeissler, May 2, 2016.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Just trying to find out how much closer you can get to your subject. It looks like the 17mm's minimal focus distance is just about 9 inches and the EZ lens is between 7 and 9 inches. How much closer can I get with the converter? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus Asia site has a lot more details about the adapter, including focusing range: Converter Lens MCON-P02 Macro Converter | Converter | Olympus

Looks like it reduces the MFD to 17cm and .15x magnification for the 17mm f1.8

and

18cm and .38x magnification for the 14-42 EZ when zoomed to 42mm.

As with all closeup lenses, the effect is greatest with longer focal lengths, hence the higher magnification with the 14-42mm.

3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I've used it. No idea why i stopped, but GAS might be the reason.

Showcase - Olympus MCON‑P02

I'll try to answer your questions with pictures when I get home.

4. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I did an "unscientific" test with my 17mm 1.8 and was able to focus on an object at at 4.5 inches (or 15cm). Do these lenses let you get closer or do they just magnify. According to Olympus, on the 17mm the minimum focus distance is .24m, which is 9.45 inches. I can get closer without the converter. I am new to this so maybe I am missing something.

5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    @tkbslc@tkbslc answed that.

6. tkbslc

They are essentially magnifying glasses, but the end effect is that you can get closer.

When measuring MFD, remember that it is measured from the sensor plane, not the lens mount or front of lens. Often there is a mark on the top of camera body that looks like a circle with a line through it. That is the indication of the sensor plane. (the measurement from the front of the lens is often called the "working distance" which is another spec many macro shooters are interested in, but can be harder to find)

What are you trying to photograph with the 17mm where you want closer focus?

7. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Nothing in particular. Just saw this converter, had some extra money and thought it looked cool. Right now if I want to take close ups, I put my 100-300 lens on and zoom in real close. Will this converter do a better job than the 100-300 zoomed in?

8. tkbslc

Will the converter do a better job than the 100-300? It won't on the 17mm. On the 14-42 at 42mm, you will get .38x magnification, which is better than the 100-300 at .21x. So yes, on the 14-42. And you will be less than a foot away instead of 3.

You might look at auto extension tubes, which would get higher magnification with the 14-42. Those can be very affordable, too.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've got really quite good results from the 100-300 with a Raynox DCR-150 clip-on diopter. Super tiny, very convenient, and surprisingly good quality to my eye. And capable of mind-boggling magnification (almost 2:1 at 300mm!)

I don't know if it costs more than the Olympus converter, but I think I only paid about $60 USD for it from Amazon at the time.

10. tkbslc

That's about the same price as the MCON, then. I'm surprised it worked well given that it is natively a 43mm filter and 100-300 has a big front element.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It may not work so well wide open, I don't know. But stopped down past f/8 which is pretty much obligatory with focal lengths this long, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I had a Raynox 150 for awhile, and it worked fine on longer zooms with the adapter it came with or with step-down rings. It will vignette at the wide end, but at longer focal lengths, it's fine. I picked up the Oly P02, and it has much less magnification, but it's very handy for close-ups with the 25mm f/1.8 and the 45mm f/1.8.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've used the MCON1 with the 40-150 f4-5.6 and its a good combination. I also have a Canon 58mm and 77mm 500D - they are very, very good and of course work with any lens of that diameter.