1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does anyone use Minolta Manual Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Johnny1.33, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I had thought about selling on the forum and had some old Minolta manual lenses. I didn't know if m 4/3 folks used such, was hoping for information.

Thanks.

2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Yes I have a 50mm, MD 1.7. It works well with the rainbow adapter. But haven't used it much since I got my Oly 45mm!

3. CysVet

CysVet New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2012
    Ames, IA (USA)
    Yeah, I have a minolta film SLR I've been using for a while. I have a 50mm 1.7 and a 135mm. Both lenses are great, built like tanks, so I can't wait until I can use them on my m4/3 camera! (I'm holding off until after finals to buy the adapter, I don't need any more distractions)

4. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I forgot to look at the lens samples. I see them on there now. Thanks.

5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I use them (Minolta MD 50mm f1.7, 50mm f2.0, 135mm f3.5 and 35-70mm f3.5) but on a Sony Nex. Great lenses.

6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I SO wish that I wasn't such a klutz with manual lenses. My story is that I had a Pentax K-x. I used to have some Super Takumar lenses. When I could get things in focus, the pictures were great. But I wear glasses and it was extremely difficult to get that focus. Live view was also hard to use. Things would always be just a hair out of focus. Yes, the camera said things were in focus, but they were not.

Everyone told me to get a split prism. I was not going to take put that screen on and tear up my camera...too much for me to risk.

Is it any easier to do with a Sony Nex or M 4/3 camera? I mostly want to do portraits.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a silly question, I hope you know. :biggrin: (in other words, we have many, many Minolta users in our group...)

8. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I really didn't. I didn't think before I searched, well, I did a search for Minolta for posts, but I didn't see anything obvious.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which NEX camera? This is largely a personal preference. People may rave about Sony's implementation of focus peaking, but in my opinion there is no better way to manually focus a lens than through a TTL viewfinder. Few NEXes have that, but only one Olympus (E-P1) and one Panasonic (GF-3) are missing that functionality. I have always preferred to focus lenses through a viewfinder, and losing the mirror has not changed that.

For shooting in the studio, the manual focus zoom is by far the most accurate method. Focus peaking is for speed rather than accuracy, which is what made it so ideal for video. Micro Four-Thirds has two types of magnification aid, either the picture-in-picture of the Panasonic system or the straight-on zoom of the Olympus system. I prefer the latter for its higher-resolution view, but I haven't had enough experience with the Panny system to really say much about it. I shoot a lot of fine commercial work where I can take my time but have high quality requirements. The Oly magnification system is perfect for that type of shooting. When I shoot action and need to focus quickly, the EVF is essential for me. I use that without any kind of magnification or peaking aid.

It could be said that the NEX-7 has the most options for manual focusing, with both focus peaking and a good EVF... but I wouldn't buy the camera just for that. ;) Most of the systems have good options for manual focusing. Just get the camera which you like best. Almost all Non-Reflex cameras have similar advantages over DSLRs for manual lenses (ie, full exposure view even stopped down, short register for adapting any lens, electronic focus aids like magnification or peaking, etc.).

10. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I use a couple Minolta lenses with an adapter. I now prefer my Pentax lenses though :).

11. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I just said nex because the other poster did. I really don't have a preference, but was wondering about the m 4/3 or nex. I don't have a dslr, probably won't for a while, had bad experiences with manual focus and the dslr I had. autofocus is great for a reason.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Many people after trying the NEX don't like to use manual lenses on anything but because of the Focus Peaking. I feel the same way about an EVF, which I now prefer over an OVF even (as long as the EVF is high quality). With an SLR, the best way really was the split prism, but that is no longer an option nor is it necessary with the new electronic focus aids. You have lots of useful options. The only cameras I would avoid for manual lenses are the E-P1, GF-1, GF-2, and GF-3, the NEX-3, or the NEX-5. Not that you couldn't use them, but there are too many better options out these days (with better screens and/or better viewfinders)...

13. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I also wear glasses and use the LCD to focus (Nex 5). Works for me except in bright sunlight when it's a pain. If shooting with a narrow depth of field (wide open or macro/close-ups) then I use peaking to get a general idea and then magnify to fine tune, when I have more depth of field I just use peaking. I have never used manual focus on a M4/3 but would not really want to try it on my E-PL1 using the screen (too small and low res and cannot tilt it).

But I use manual focus/legacy lenses sometimes and autofocus at other times - depends on the situation.

Have never used an evf + legacy lens either but I imagine that would help a lot - the only thing is the cameras with one built in are expensive and with the ones without one (like the Pens and the Nex 5N) the evf can cost almost as much again as the camera body or an AF prime lens. (One of the reasons I use legacy lenses is that they are a budget option and very cheap especially a 50mm f1.7/1.8) :)

I don't really do portraits but on the rare occasions when I do I think I would prefer autofocus as I prefer the speed so you can capture an expression in an instant.

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use some Minolta lenses with my GH1& GH2. No trouble with the fast primes, I haven't really tried the zooms. I also have quite a few Minolta SLR's which have some of the nicest viewfinders around.

I might get a NEX 7 at some point if the prices come down a bit.

15. louellacasandile

louellacasandile Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Chungli City, Taiwan
    Louel Lacasandile
    Minolta MD 50mm 1.7

I am currently deciding whether I should go legacy on my next lenses and I am thinking about adapting Minolta glass because I have seen great bokeh around the internet from them.

Anyway, I can get a MD 50mm 1.7 for a cheaper value than the 50mm 1.4 (almost half). But I want to ask you guys, how is the performance of the f1.7 wide open?

16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I found the 1.7 is far easier to nail focus than the 1.4
    The 50 1.7 is great closed to about 2.0 from experience, but my favourite is the 45 f2 which is sharp wide open.

17. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a whole bunch of old Minolta glass and use them regularly on my Panny G1 and GH2. I really like what the Minolta lenses do in terms of contrast and colours. I have no problem whatsoever to get perfectly focussed shots, meaning the plane of focus lies where I want it to be when I zoom out to 100 % on my monitor (also called pixel-peeping by some :wink:). I usually focus by zooming-in via the EVF; for macro I often use the LCD zoomed out but I only do that when I can stop down enough to cater for small focussing errors.

I don't have numbers, but judging from forum activity it looks like less and less people use legacy glass now that there are good alternatives in the native µ4/3 lens line-up. Interestingly, native µ4/3 lenses from Voigtlander, Samyang/Rokinon/etc. and SLRmagic also offer manual-focus only.

18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a bunch of 1.7 and 1.4 50mm Minolta's and the MD 1.4 lenses are consistently better at the same apertures than the MD 1.7 ones, especially concerning corner sharpness. However, the 1.7 lenses are not bad at all if you limit yourself to MD models; the MC 1.7 lenses tend to be flat and not very sharp. Wide-open the 1.7 lenses are soft and flary, you'll need to stop down to f/2.8 to get good contrast and center sharpness; corners are not great at f/2.8, you'll have to stop down to f/5.6 for adequate performance there.

19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Of my half dozen 50mm legacy lenses the Minolta MD f1.7 is by far the worst wide open (for sharpness anyway) - best are probably the Yashicas (1.9 and 2.0 ). See: https://www.mu-43.com/f40/minolta-rokkor-md-lens-overexposure-glows-21565/

A 1.4 will almost always be around double (or more) the cost of a 1.7/ 1.8.

But some 1.4 lenses may also be soft wide open, so you may not gain that much vs getting a 1.7/1.8.1.9/2.0 lens that is reasonable wide open. I like my Minolta 1.7 a lot but I hardly ever use it at 1.7 and if I wanted to shoot at 1.7 I would use another lens (unless I wanted that soft/glowy effect).

20. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK