1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anyone sell a Nikon-1 to M43 adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MarylandUSA, Aug 11, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Boy, oh, boy, would I like to use the Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 rectilinear lens on my G3. The lens is made to fit the Nikon 1's mirrorless mount. It costs less than a Panasonic 14/2.5 or Samyang 7.5mm fisheye! Does anyone make an adapter for M43? I couldn't find any on Amazon or eBay.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Unfortunately, any adapter would have to go the opposite way, because, given it's smaller sensor and smaller image circle, I would expect that Nikon 1 has a shorter flange to focal plane distance than Micro 4/3 and it certainly has a smaller circle of coverage required for it's lenses than M4/3 does

Edit - I just looked it up. As I suspected, the Nikon 1 register distance is 17mm, and Micro 4/3 is 20mm. Meaning that you could adapt M4/3 lenses IF THEY HAVE MANUAL FOCUS AND APERTURE CONTROL, to Nikon 1, but not the other way around. The problem with most modern lenses, though, is that those controls tend to be electronic - except for the Voigtlander optics. So the reality is, a Nikon 1 to M4/3 adapter is impossible, and an M4/3 to Nikon 1 adapter, while possible, would only work with the Voigtlander lenses having manual focus and aperture controls, and not the Oly, Panasonic, or Sigma lenses.

3. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Thanks, Doug. I haven't been keeping up with other mirrorless formats and didn't realize that the Pentax Q isn't the only one smaller than M43. The shorter register distance is the nail in the coffin.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Even if you could fit a Nikon 1 lens to m4/3, it would not have any aperture/focus control. Besides the issue of a smaller image circle.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    And also it's not a 10mm lens such as the 14mm is a 14mm lens. Both of the lenses have a 35mm equivalent view of 28mm.

Get the 14. It's a very nice lens.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, yes it is. 10mm is 10mm. Because of the sensor size/crop factor, the 10mm lens has a field of view equivalent to 28mm on 'full frame' when mounted on a Nikon 1 body. If it were possible to mount the lens on an MFT body, it would be equivalent to 20mm 'full frame'.

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    As I said, "it's not a 10mm lens such as the 14mm is a 14mm lens," by which I tried to show the poster that lens would be no wider than the 14 even on the Nikon 1.

Specs on P&S cameras say "28-90mm equivalent lens" so when our customers upgrade to a DX DSLR that has "18-55mm" written on the lens we will get a lot of returns if we don't remind them "it's not an 18mm as your old 28mm is a 28mm lens."

I'm sorry if you don't like my word choice but I truthfully have daily experience in this matter and customers see NUMBERS. High megapixels, high ISO, low watts, high amps, low number for wide angle, high number for zoom (ie "20x"), etc. If you tell them that the DSLR's lens is the equivalent width to the P&S they will without fail "enlighten" me that 18 is a lower number than 28. Yes, they are not smart. But they have money to spend!

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    OK, your wording was a little confusing, we're both on the same page.

I don't sell cameras, so I can only imagine the frustration. I do frequently 'consult' for friends looking to get a new camera, and I steer a lot of people towards a mirrorless system (with varying levels of success) because I think its a better fit a lot of the time. Most tend to be looking for a camera for vacation snaps with a little more creative control and the ability to swap lenses. Pretty much none do anything that really requires tracking AF. Too many (IMO) still choose a DSLR because there's an impression they are 'better'.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What it is, is a true 10mm lens that almost certainly would badly vignette the corners on a 4/3 sensor. So, there are at least 3 reasons why that lens is not adaptable for use on m4/3:

1) Shorter registration distance than m4/3
    2) Electronic controls for aperture and focus means that you couldn't adjust either one when not on a Nikon 1 body
    3) Too small image circle for the m4/3 frame