1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does anyone own a Sirui T-025x (or T-025)...how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Jun 26, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

Thanks to a suggestion on this board, I'm 99% sold on the Sirui T-025x...the reviews on Amazon, B&H, etc look great, but on other message boards I've been warned against 5-section/fixed column tripods...I can understand that some of those may be unstable...however, the Sirui appears to be of good quality and part of the reason I'm planning on getting the carbon legs is for vibration control.

My question is: Under normal conditions (ie: not in a windstorm/during an earthquake), is vibration a problem for shots 10-60s long?

Thanks,
    T

2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Great tripod - perfectly suited for m43 gear. Light, tiny, packs great.

I've even used it with a Bronica SQ-B (like this photo indoors in low light without mirror lock-up and at a low shutter speed). with great results.

Only thing that I wish were better (which is almost impossible with a compact tripod) is that it would be a couple of inches taller.

I HIGHLY recommend it

3. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Shorter duration (1/25 of a second) but the mirror slap on a Bronica SQ causes quite a vibration on that heavy camera.

This is the result

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PtN-F_rN_ELWsMdRabLG0NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite"> Bronica%2520SQ-B%25202%2520-%2520Watermarked. "788" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/SelectivelyDesaturated?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Selectively Desaturated</a></td></tr></table>

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome, thank you! Yeah, I wish it was a little taller too, but it's tall enough considering how incredibly light it is and how small it packs.

Have you had any issues with vibration (due to the thin legs/5-sections/non-retractable center column) on longer exposures 15 seconds and up?

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like mine too.... (T-005)

I use a heavier tripod for long exposures though.

The Sirui was purely intended to be a compact option.

The carbon version is not as compact nor is the weight difference really all that different. IMO, carbon isn't going to make a huge impact on cameras/lens combos as light weight as micro 4/3rds in terms of damping vibration. What you will need is weight.... hanging a bag in between the legs of the tripod helps a lot.

What makes other high end brands' carbon tripods more expensive is that not only are the legs carbon but they are usually a higher quality material composite of carbon AND the hardware designed into the carbon tripod is specifically purposeful... often also substituting magnesium composites in those areas as well. This yields a better tripod than even the same brands' aluminum versions. Other brands, have a tendency to use the same design, hardware, and materials and simply substitute the aluminum stanchion tubs with carbon tubes of similar size. These carbon tripods IMO are driven more by marketing and aesthetics.

[EDIT]

So I just checked the folded length... looks like they are the same. I swear the carbon version was longer when I compared them in person at a local store. oh well.. could be wrong.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I use my Sirui T-005 for long exposures with my EM5. I use a remote release or the touch screen to release the shutter. Sometimes I leave the smallest leg segment retracted. There's also a weight hook that adds further stability.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    There are a lot of factors that need to be considered if you are talking about exposures as long as 60 seconds. Yes, your gear is lighter than a APS or FF DSLR, but we are talking about a tripod that was designed to be compact and affordable. I think that Sirui makes nice compact tripods, but I would not specifically choose to use one fully extended unless it was my only option. Then again, I do not have a center column on my Gitzo because it can induce vibration, so at least you know where I am coming from. Granted, my maximum FL on this set-up would be a D300+300mm+TC2.0 at long exposures, but I do not have vibration problems with 10 second exposures. Nor do I ever worry about my rig tipping over in high winds (often an issue when birding in winter).

I would suspect that a number of people would be quite happy with their long exposures from a fully extended compact tripod (especially in the conditions that you describe). But since you have asked the question, I am led to believe that you might not easily fall into that camp. Then again, I do not know what your selection criteria are, or how flexible they are.

Good luck,

--Ken

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the input!

Yeah, the T-005 and T-025 are the exact same dimensions in every respect except weight...same tripod, just the stanchions are of different materials. I know it's not *WORTH* the extra money, but I might still get the carbon simply because that way I can sleep happily knowing I went as light as possible.

I'm fairly demanding of my equipment, and I can be a pretty bad pixel peeper...HOWEVER...99.999% of the long exposure shots I'm going to shoot are going to be at 18mm equivalent (OM-D + 9-18 at the widest setting).

Up until now, I've been using an Optex T-25 with excellent results...This thing only goes up to 50cm/20" and weighs more than the Sirui! (The Sirui packs to about 3/4" or 2cm longer, but has a ballhead!)

Even with some massive combos packed on it (Canon 1D Mark III and 16-35L II and then my 5D Mark II + 16-35L II) I've never had an issue with pictures that were blurry, I think that's partially because of how wide the lenses are...

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That is a factor that I did not address directly, but indirectly touched upon by mentioning that I was shooting with long lenses. If you are shooting as wide as you are, then you in a more forgiving situation.

Having said that, make sure you are considering the "x" model with the removable center column. I saw a fixed column T-005 model (the older and smaller model with a fixed center column), and was not that impressed. With the legs extended and the center column fixed, it seemed way too unstable for my tastes. The "x" models were a major improvement.

Good luck,

--Ken

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Forgot to mention, my long exposures are almost always at 14mm.

11. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    My experience with the T-005 are that its a great compact and light tripod that leaves no reason to be left behind. I would think that fully extended using a remote control would help for long exposures, but as others pointed out, since the shots will be wide angled ones, it is more forgiving.

With that in mind, I try not to use the tripod fully extended. I would have preferred if the center column could be pushed down for more stability and for a while I am looking at the Benro Roadtrip for that very same reason, but when the T-005 went on sale for 100$, I made my choice. So far so good.

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, definitely only considering the "X" (you can't even get the non-X in Korea anymore)...

twokat: Perfect...that's pretty much the longest I'd go (I use UWA zooms for most of my photography...9-18 on the OM-D)...for long exposures I'm usually either doing water stuff (beaches, waterfalls) or night stuff (star trails mostly)...for all of these, wide is usually the way to go. :D