1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anyone know what these are?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by verbatimium, Nov 11, 2013.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Looks like Canon lenses: 82mm 1:1.2 and 50mm 0.75. What were these used for and are can you adapt them?

2.JPG $_57.

2. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I think they are specialty lens from X-Ray machines, no infinity focus, no aperture ring (very shallow DOF) .

Perhaps they will to good with an inverse adapter ring for some cool macro shots?

Someone more experienced will surely chime in.

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Depending on the mount, you could purchase one of those adapters with the built-in iris to (sort-of) control aperture.

4. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Didn't know that such an adapter existed, are they any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Several companies make them. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-adapter-Aperture-Panasonic-aperture/dp/B006JSSFZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384260586&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+micro+adapter

I don't have personal experience with them, though, so I can't really say how they perform. Because the aperture is on a different plane than where the manufacturer would put it, they sounds like they sort of work, but not exactly like you would expect. Of course, these lenses don't have an aperture to begin with, so perhaps the adapter would put it right where it should be.

6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Interesting. It might be a solution for the OP.

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I'd expect they come from something like a reprographics system, used to copy artwork. The lens being attached to the glass viewing plate by bellows, and the original on a seperate table below this. These are used only for flat subjects so no aperture is required.
    They are rather like an oversized large format camera that points straight down. I used one occationally >30 years ago, which had a glass plate large enough for at least A3.

I'm sure they can be adapted for use, and should have room to go via the adapters Carpandean mentioned (I've only seen them in EF mount) though that may not give room for a focusing mechamism on the 50mm if you want infinity focus.

M42 focusing helicoids are available (I've got both M42 mount & micro 4/3 versions).

A look at the back of the lenses might make it easier to suggest options. I suspect they're be screw mounts and might be bigger than m42...