Does anyone know how to use this RF?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ahuyevshi, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    My grandmother passed last year and my mom was just cleaning her house when she found this.... I can't seem to find any directions on line....

I can make out Aperture (markings exist), but shutter speed doesn't have a corresponding marking. I can also tell that the film counter is manual. In that case how do I advance the roll? There seems to be a meter on top, but I'm not sure if it is working.. Focus seems to be similar to my M6 (Although the focus patch is way brighter when I don't forget to move my finger lower)..

Also what kind of mount is this? Can I use the lens on my M6 or E-P2?

Any help would be appreciated...

2. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    Hello ahuyevshi,

In fact it is a Zeiss Contax made in the U.S.S.R. after the blueprints and remaining parts were liberated from the Soviet Zone after WW II.

for further information go to :

this will shed some light on your inheritance.

Having tried a Zorki 4 years ago with a similar lens I think the KIEV an even nicer antiquitiy to keep for a reminder of the old days, but nothing I would use nowadays.:frown:
    As for the lens you could pick up something more popular to fit on M43.

re-note Rolf
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
  4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks guys.... I don't plan on using it daily, but definitely need to shoot at least a roll of triX with it...
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Great find, it's a gem. As with many classical RF, never, ever, change shutter speed before cocking it first, or you WILL ruin it.