Does anyone know how to use this RF?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ahuyevshi, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    My grandmother passed last year and my mom was just cleaning her house when she found this.... I can't seem to find any directions on line....

I can make out Aperture (markings exist), but shutter speed doesn't have a corresponding marking. I can also tell that the film counter is manual. In that case how do I advance the roll? There seems to be a meter on top, but I'm not sure if it is working.. Focus seems to be similar to my M6 (Although the focus patch is way brighter when I don't forget to move my finger lower)..

Also what kind of mount is this? Can I use the lens on my M6 or E-P2?

Any help would be appreciated...

4454045200_3136c495b2_b.jpg

2. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    Hello ahuyevshi,

In fact it is a Zeiss Contax made in the U.S.S.R. after the blueprints and remaining parts were liberated from the Soviet Zone after WW II.

for further information go to : http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Kiev4a.html~mainFrame

this will shed some light on your inheritance.

Having tried a Zorki 4 years ago with a similar lens I think the KIEV an even nicer antiquitiy to keep for a reminder of the old days, but nothing I would use nowadays.:frown:
    As for the lens you could pick up something more popular to fit on M43.

regards

re-note Rolf

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
  4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks guys.... I don't plan on using it daily, but definitely need to shoot at least a roll of triX with it...

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Great find, it's a gem. As with many classical RF, never, ever, change shutter speed before cocking it first, or you WILL ruin it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.