Does anyone have the Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens? How do you like it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Jul 14, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So I think 3D is a neato idea, but I don't have a 3D TV (though my brother does).

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens because it's small, light, unique and relatively cheap.

For those of you who have one...how do you like it? It looks like the only way it REALLY provides you with a 3D experience is if you have something very close to the camera and then a background...how well does it work in everyday/landscape/buildings/etc shooting?

I'm mainly thinking of picking it up to add a new dimension (see what I did there?) to my travel photography...

Also...how bad is the resolution once you shoot with it? (Since such a tiny part of the sensor is used). Oh, and finally...can you do it in full manual mode (E-M5) or do I have to put it on a dummy scene mode to use it?

Thanks!
    T

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Pretty worthless.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I believe the lens doesn't work on Olympus bodies at all.

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Care to elaborate? Have you owned/used it?

It works on the E-M5 (which I have) and I believe the rest of the OM-D series as well.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes I have one. Minimum focus distance is long, aperture is small, stereo effect minimal due to elements being close together. Also, you don't get full res images IIRC.

I've had better luck with a Fuji 3D point and shoot.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! What sort of subjects does the stereo effect work the best for? And yes, you're right, it only uses a small portion of your sensor...about 3 MP on a 16MP sensor, 2MP on a 12MP sensor.

Yeah, I'm really liking the Fuji 3D P&S, but I need this primarily for traveling, and I refuse to carry more than one camera (plus batteries, charger, etc) on a trip.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What about for shooting 3D video? I assumed that was the point.

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It does not shoot 3D video. For me, though, that really doesn't matter, I'd be happy with just 3D photos if it meant just carrying a small, lightweight lens, instead of a whole new camera/charger/etc.

• Like Like x 1