Does anyone have a Sony Action Cam? How do you like it? (Thinking AS100V or AZ1)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, Feb 8, 2015.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hello all,

On my recent trip to Thailand I fell in love with snorkeling...so...it's time for an action cam, and while the GoPros look good, they're expensive, and I like to try different things...I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sonys, but I have a few questions:

1: How do you like it?
    2: Has the AS100V been updated to add 1 and 2s intervals to its time lapse? (How stupid is it that it's only 5/10/15/30/50??!!!)
    3: Is there a flat door on the market or in the works for the AZ1? (You'd think that they'd have learned from the mistakes of others, as well as the AS100V and prior, and had one for the AZ1 from the get-go!).

Basically, I really, really want the AZ1 because it's so tiny. But...I won't buy it unless there's a decent flat door lens for it. My #2 pick is the AS100V, but...I'd like it to be able to do 1 and 2s intervals...which you'd think they could have EASILY addressed in the 2.0 firmware update!

Thanks!
    T

2. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hmm...I just realized that the AZ1 *NEEDS* the live view remote or a phone to do anything more than start/stop recording. Not good. I'm going to get the wrist thing bundle no matter what I get, but I'd like to be able to use the camera without it. So that's a big black mark against the little one.

3. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah, I saw all of those...I'm not all that interested in 4k, and zero interest in streaming. :D

I think I might just go GoPro Hero4 Silver. Having the screen built-in seems like a lot less hassle than having a second device that has to be WiFi paired, etc, etc...also, what the Sony needs a bundle of stuff for (deep housing, flat front door), the GoPro does out of the box. Also, I'm not all that happy with the no sub-5s time lapse option for the Sony. What a foolish and utterly pointless omission!

5. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    I think one of the main advantages of gopro is the almost "standard" that it is now, as far as action cams go.
    You can find tons of accessories for it, and for that kind of cam I think that's very important, whatever you may think of doing tomorrow, chances are, you'll find a way to mount it or wear it, or...
    My 2 cents...

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I ended up getting a GoPro. :)

Here's why:
    - No faster than 5 seconds on the time lapse function for the Sony AS100V. Just...ridiculous and baffling.
    - No flat door for the AZ1 (ultimate deal breaker...it could have sung and danced and made ice cream, and it still wouldn't have made up for that curved door) and very ungainly one for the AS100V. With the AS100V, I would have had to constantly change the door depending on what I was using it for (whichever one I was going to buy, I was going to use it in its case most of the time to have it protected).
    - No built-in LCD. I like to frame my shots. Having to carry around a big wrist thing that needs to be recharged and that requires WiFi (draining the battery on the main unit), and framing while looking at my wrist but aiming elsewhere sounds like a hassle.
    - The Sonys distort a bit too much for my liking.
    - Far more manual control over even still pictures for the GoPro. Big plus for me.
    - Accessories...the GoPro's a clear winner. Even something as simple as an extra battery would have been a hassle to get here for the Sony...I even like GoPro releasing cheap replacement windows for the housing, etc.

In the end, all the Sony had going for it was the image stabilization (a definite plus) and the splashproof design which I was kind of meh about, since I'm planning on keeping it in the case anyways. Otherwise, I just couldn't do it (and I REALLY wanted to go non-GoPro haha).

• Like Like x 1
  7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I have the AS30, and it was about half the price of a gopro, and came with 3 different mounts, helmet, body and handlebar.
    The Sony uses the same batteries as some of the Sony compact cameras, so there´s alot to select from on that, and cheap on ebay.
    The stabilisator is really great and makes the movies much more nice to look at, and you can turn it off if you want more actionmovement.
    Here´s a movie I did last summer, and even at 2 or 4 times the speed the stabilisator makes it very smooth to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPN2koSAp8

At 4:15 you can see how the stabilisator works when i drive in some pretty big holes on the road, and the camera is mounted on the front window.
    And the option to use 170 or 120" angle is nice if you dont want the fisheye look all the time and being forced to stand really close to everything youre recording.

And the fact that it uses normal tripod mount makes it work with a ton of accesories and mounts.
    The Timelaps sucks though, I would like to have even shorter than 1sek interval. but i guess you always can record a normal movie and speed it up :p

I have bought the skeletoncase for mine also so it has flat bottom.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's a great video (makes me want to go there!), and you make some excellent points for the Sony. I guess it's really up to what you want to use it for the most...bikes, cars, running? The Sony's the clear winner.

Time lapse (the GoPro offers 0.5s to 60s times!), underwater, etc, the GoPro's the winner. Yeah, you could speed up a normal movie, but I wouldn't want to deal with those kinds of file sizes! I travel a lot, and often can't clear cards for a while...a 2hr movie would eat up a 32GB card at 30fps (216,000 frames)...that's a lot of space for just time lapse...whereas if you were to do it the proper way, with let's say a 2 sec interval, you end up with 3,600 frames.

...nice FJ, by the way! :)

• Like Like x 1