1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does anybody recognize this trigger Damian McGillicuddy has on his camera?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by TRCPhoto, Feb 11, 2015.

1. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    So I'm probably getting ahead of myself as I've written to Damian directly to ask and have yet to hear back, but I'm dying to know what this trigger unit on his flash is? Despite it's upright orientation I love the size for the EM1. I'm close to picking up a YN-560tx but worry it'll be still too bulky for the top of the EM1 and this looks perfect in size. Anybody have an idea of the make and model?

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.44.28 PM.

Let it be known that I screen captured this from DM's twitter account. :)

More views of the unit can be seen in some behind the scenes videos on his website: http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/videos-3/

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can't see it well... does it have controls? If no controls, Yongnuo has another model without controls which is much smaller.

Barry

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Why not just ask him? He has a contact page.

4. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Like I mentioned Ray I did email him directly and haven't heard back... now he's a busy guy and it's not been that long. I'm just anxious...

Barry, from what I've seen in a video or two it I believe it has channels and/or sets maybe... and a test button.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Sorry, I missed that bit as I mainly looked at the photo.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They look to be SMDV flashwave III's however they might be II's... it's hard to tell and there isn't really all that much difference between them (the 3 can trigger the 2 I think, but not the other way around).

The 4's were meant to have TTL... however I have no clue if they ever actually released them. There's a few on ebay for stupid prices but other than that...

If that's what they are they're really just basic flash triggers, nothing fancy at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    No apologies needed my man. I always appreciate your input.

8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    By george, I think you've got it!

9. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    ANSWERS!

Kind of... I received an email from team McGillicuddy, I think his wife in fact, and she informed me that they are currently using Yongnuo 560-III and RF 602 for Canon. She said they tried the 603 but had issues, and the 602 have been flawless.

No indication what the units in the above photo and on his website videos are, but I asked just out of curiosity.

10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    It looked to be just a small manual flash trigger and did not appear to have any controls (other than for firing) for adjusting the power of the remote flash. The speedlight flash were setting on an approx. 3" by 4" by 1" receiver with top shoe and he was using a light meter to obtain the settings. There is no brand (yet) for remote TTL M4/3 flash or remote power adjusting of Oly flash.

If your not locked into Pany/Oly flash, The Godox V850's I use have a much smaller side mount receiver and the flash trigger is not too much bigger, but of the same design. The Godox have an excellent flash power adjustment from the camera, on/off of the IR light, and sound control. The V850 is about twice the power of the FL 600R, plus the same transmitter works with other Godox lights. Of course the Godox are not TTL, but neither were the flash in the video.

11. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Jim, are you saying you were there for this demo or is this based on what you saw in the videos?

12. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    As a side note, I had an exchange with Larry Price, who is a Pulitzer Prize winning Olympus Visionary if you aren't familiar, and he said that the conversation for a quality radio controlled TTL flash system or trigger is definitely in the conversation with the "visionaries" and Olympus brass... so while no timetable or indication that they'll actually produce anything, it's encouraging to know they are at least talking about it. I love the bodies, I love the glass, now they just need to bring it home with the flash :)

13. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Write 'em back. Let 'em know the RF-603II or RF-605 will work on hotshoes other than Canikon without modification. :D The 603 mkIs had a problem of using one of the TTL pins to sense if it was on a camera hotshoe or a flash foot, and that signal didn't match with mft/fuji X/sony nex. This is also why those suckers have a test button that doesn't work in hand, but only when the unit's on the camera. YN fixed that with an explicit OFF/Tx/TRx switch on the side of the 603IIs (where you can actually reach it even when a flash is mounted up top). They also added a locking wheel and increased the voltage threshhold from 12V to 300V. The 605s add an LCD screen and groups on/off from a YN-560-TX.

Aokatec AK-TTL is reported to do all the stuff RC does only over radio. Kind of like budget radiopoppers. There just aren't a LOT of reports...

• Like Like x 2
  14. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    If I'm triggering a group of YN 560-IIIs is there any advantage of using an RF605 over a 560-TX? Or visa versa? Both I'm assuming are superior to the 602 I presume?

15. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    From watching the video full screen a couple of times.

16. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    No. The 605s don't give you power/zoom control over the YN-560IIIs. They're only more useful than the 603II as a receiver if you're adding non-YN-560III/IV flashes into your setup, and you tend to turn groups on/off from a 560-TX.

Yes. The 602 triggers have separate transmitter/receiver units, so you can't repurpose (or count on a unit as a backup) as you can with the 603II/605 transceivers. The 602 set's transmitter unit uses a non-standard CR2 battery, which it's difficult to find rechargeables for. It has no off-switch, and the test button's on the top, so you can run the battery down without knowing about it simply by tossing it in a bag. They've removed the one advantage the RF-602s had over the RF-603s, which was a PC input port on the transmitter (for cameras without a flash hotshoe, this can be useful to trigger from the camera), and the transmitter has no pass-through hotshoe or locking ring, so it can fall out of the hotshoe more easily. And, like the Mk I 603s, the 602s are limited to 12V for sync, and the receiver has its on/off switch exactly where you can't reach it once a flash is mounted on top.

However, the transmitter unit is a lot smaller than a 603II/605, so for m4/3, it may be a better option, depending on how tiny you like your gear. :) And, of course, it costs less.

• Like Like x 2
  17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    We need a chart on all the remote flash options, including all the Yongnuo options for mu-43; if there is one already, we should put it in a Sticky post.

Thanks,
    Barry