1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Dodging & Burning with Livetime

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Very, very clever to take a new procedure from Olympus and team it with an old darkroom technique to give what I see as beautiful and interesting images.
    Well done and thanks for a clear and succinct explanation of the procedure.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As far as I know, it's only Olympus cameras. The gen II Sony A7 cameras have a "Playmemories" app you can install called Smooth Reflection that gets close. However, they withdrew it on the III models !

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, that's true. The advantage of the dodging technique though is that the line on the grad filter can be moved about so as to prevent a visible result. You can also provide other shapes for when it's not just a simple horizon - a simple "V" for instance is very helpful in valleys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Pentax has some similar software tricks to Olympus's Live Time and Live Composite. Pentax's are exactly the same, but do similar things to get similar results. I don't know if the OP technique would work with the Pentax methods or not.

5. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Norhtern Illinois
    Genius! Beautifully captured!

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Here are a few more example if anyone is interested:

29642629732_330460d59b_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last Light over Bear Lake by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

27932030544_c3918f1d76_b.jpg

Cape Town Shrouded by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

28313790116_d98d765dc1_b.jpg

Table Mountain by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

17057367157_db46ab7ff6_b.jpg

Clouds over the Opera House by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

• Winner Winner x 17
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Excellent work. Thanks for inspiring the rest of us to go out and give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    This is really a neat idea! Thanks! :2thumbs:

I found my first trial I had to drop the ISO to LOW (64) and I was at f/11 with the 2 second increments building in bright sun with a 10 stop ND filter. Since my 10-stop Lee Big Stopper has the compendium bellows, and my dodging card was held out a bit from the filter, I got a definite edge line since the wide-angle 12mm has too much DOF at f/11 and the edge was showing.

Might need to try it with a screw-on or normal Lee filter holder to keep the card closer to the lens for more blur. I need a bigger card too for my fat fingers, maybe 7" on a side as the need to completely cover the filter and lens affair is needed to start. Need some poster board cutouts with maybe some black flock paper attached (e.g. A semi-circle for horizon.).

I can see this as being very useful though - and maybe munition for the FF camera guys who don't have Live Time too. Nice work pdk42! :bravo-009:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Thanks very much for posting
    Some wonderful shots there Paul !

11. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    This concept was one of the reasons I recently grabbed an E-P5 online. Great to see the results and hear it's not just feasible but quite straightforward - thanks!

12. srikant

srikant New to Mu-43 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Omg. What kind of sorcery is this. These are the kind of pics landscape photographers crave for. Great going. Could you elaborate a bit more about your technique. Where do you focus? How do you ensure that everything is in foucs? etc. Thanks!

13. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I've been toying a lot with this. Manual focusing using Focus Peaking is my method. I found the 10 stop ND filter works the best. I tried with a 6 stop ND and never got the right exposure, and I also tried some 16.6 stop ND and it was too much for outdoors. My Lee clip-on filter Big Stopper has the bellows-type mount and moving the burning card around in front with a wide angle lens may show the card's edge. The Lee holder without the bellows is probably better. I tried a screw-on 10 stop ND and that worked a bit better, but focusing is tough as it is dark so best to try and manually do it.

Exposure is the tricky part as well as is the timing of moving the card and how much. Too fast a setting and you get overexposure quick and you cannot burn down anything as that train has passed for anything staying dark. OP is right in that it does take practice - a lot!

I did add a FeelWorld F5 five inch HDMI monitor to my E-M1.2 to get a larger overall view of what was happening. It's a bit brighter than the OEM rear screen at 450 nits, but still would like more. Mine (via Amazon) did come with a Velcro hood that wraps around the screen so the sunlight stays off it which helps too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Thanks for sharing and for the clear explanation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.