1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Documenting Wi-Fi with the OM-D E-M10 and the PEN E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Mar 22, 2014.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I love the Wi-Fi functionality of my OM-D E-M10! I have seen in other threads on this forum where some folks have had trouble with making the connection between the camera and a given mobile device or with actually transferring images from the camera to an Android or IOS device. I have been one of the lucky ones, I guess, because so far I have had only minor issues and only once or twice. I don't have any solutions, but I am documenting how I am using this feature that is on the E-M10 and E-P5 (and, I believe, on the E-M1, but not sure about that).

I started my series with the basics of just making the connection the other day and today I added a post on using that connection to transfer images. I will follow this post in a few days with one on using the Wi-Fi connectivity to control your camera remotely. I will cite examples of how I have used this ability as well as the step-by-step of how to do it. I have ordered the new Olympus EZ 14-42mm pancake zoom and when I receive that little gem, I will add a post on how one can even control the zoom level of that particular lens through the Wi-Fi connection between camera and mobile device.

So, I invite you to have a look at the most recent post (http://www.infotor.com/blog/using-the-om-d-e-m10s-wi-fi-to-transfer-images-to-mobile-devices/), follow the link in it to my previous post on making the connection, and look for the next posts in the series. Thank you! And I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this feature or your questions on it.

Bill Booz

• Like Like x 2
  2. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks. You should make a really in-depth one for Live Composite next =)

• Like Like x 1
  3. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks for the suggestion, boxer! Always looking for article ideas and doing them forces me to learn about and practice using them. Next one will be on geotagging, connecting with friends' devices, and setting file size to transfer. Then will do one on controlling camera remotely, so will include (or do separate article) your idea about Live View. Also planning to write about controlling the zoom on EZ 14-42mm, which I should receive by Friday, via wi-fi. So many cool features!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    The EZ lens gives you a slider to zoom in and out.

ImageUploadedByMu-431395974153.204178.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm looking forward to learning more about the WiFi feature as it was a feature that pushed me towards the E-M10, so thanks. It think that I read somewhere that by using WiFi, you can control everything that is on the SCP, can anyone confirm this?

6. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I didn't check each individual item on the SCP, but I would say most could be controlled from the WiFi app.

7. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Wow, that's so cool! I didn't even realize that. Yet another reason I'm glad I bought the 14-42EZ.