Documentary: Bill Cunningham New York

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by krugorg, Nov 5, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Did anyone else catch the documentary about Bill Cunningham, the NY Times fashion photographer? This was the first time I had heard of Bill, but thought it was a great documentary... what an interesting personality!

The film focuses on style, not photography or street technique. He says something to the effect that he is not a photographer and real photographers would consider him a fraud. But.... I was impressed how fearless he was in the street, whether walking or riding his bike in NYC traffic (at 80 years old now), bulky SLR and all. I also thought it was interesting how he described going to the street without a preconceived idea of what he was going to cover, but seemed to quickly zero into a style theme.

I know he has been shooting analog for a long time and probably doesn't make since to switch, at this point in his life, but it is hard not to think of him benefiting from digital when you see all the file cabinet full of negatives cramming his flat.

Zeitgeist Films :: Bill Cunningham New York :: a film by Richard Press

Bill Cunningham | Fall? -