Doco - McCullin

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, Jul 5, 2013.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  2. penners_r

penners_r Mu-43 Rookie

Yes a really well made documentary, I bought the DVD a month ago. The deleted scenes are worth looking at. If you like what you see on the DVD, I recommend one of his books Hearts of Darkness ( be warned though, there are some disturbing photographs of war) and his biography from a few years ago Unreasonable Behaviour. The Sunday Times did a feature on him last year on his return to war photography in Syria this time. A brilliant and very moral photographer.
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Interestingly he was saved when his Nikon stopped a bullet in 1968 which is pretty badass -

Theres a lot to be said for a nice brass body !
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I had the honour when working as a PJ in Berlin in the 80's to meet both Don McCullin & David Bailey at the Nikon stand at Fotokina in Cologne, they were really nice and happy to chat.

The documentary was classic (90min) and shows the experiences that many "war photographers" go through to get the photo, he like most others shared the fear, discomfort and uncertaintly of life in conflict and in turn presented some classic images documenteing many conflicts during his time.

He now lives a "quieter" life in the Somerset countryside and tends to shoot still life in his home studio as well as landscape.

We should also remember we have our own member who has shared these experiences in their pro career - Gary Ayala (I just hope he does not mind me mentioning this).