Doco - BBC Storyville - The 1.7 Billion Dollar Fraud (wrt Olympus)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, Mar 3, 2015.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Over here - on iPlayer or available via other means . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054f7qp

"In October 2011, Olympus Corporation, a multi-billion dollar Japanese optical company, dismissed its president and CEO, British-born Michael Woodford, over cultural differences in management style."

• Like Like x 1
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just finished watching it... not the greatest documentary I have watched.. the narrative is a bit jumpy... but worth checking out... has absolutely nothing to do with cameras at all...its about the culture of Japanese business.... and it doesn't really come to a proper conclusion

K

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Just finished watching it - amazing to think the financial shenanigans dated back to the late 80's.

Some great quotes - 'Olympus is a ship of fools' & 'If the pictures taken by Olympus cameras were as fuzzy as the non-explanation given by Mr Takayama the company would have been out of business long ago'

Ah well, lets hope they turn it around. I still want another Oly camera :)

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Big shame file for the company though....

I believe Woodford fled from Japan in genuine fear for his life and family's safety.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.