1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Do you worry or think about the shutter count on your camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Stanga, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I can't help noticing that shutter count gets mentioned quite often on forums, and even on places like eBay. It was never mentioned in the days of film cameras. So is there a particular reason why so many camera owners are subconsciously paranoid about the shutter count on their modern day camera?

2. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Not me, been doing time lapse vids lately. No problem to fire off 6 or 700 at a time...

3. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2018
    It has just become one of those metrics that people buying a second hand can look at and fool themselves they think they understand the quality of the camera they are buying. I don't get the idea people are worried about the shutter count while they are shooting, nor perpetually worried about what effect their shooting is having on potential resale value of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know how accurate they are but I look at the expected life of pro camera shutters as some sort in indication of body quality. Mu-43 pro bodies seem to have 200K for shutters while Sony has 400K for some bodies. I suppose this comes from looking at engineering components where "Mean time between failures" is often looked at when purchasing items.

Having said that the bodies I buy have no rating, but I will upgrade to a pro body one day and all specs are taken into consideration.

Back in the film days I purchased the best bodies I could afford. Shutter count did not worry me as the number of photos taken was small compared to today with digital.
    My film bodies used to die through harsh use, but more money when single, now I have to watch the expenses.

5. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2017
    I never consider it, by the time I've finished abusing a camera its value is pretty much zero. I actually take far less shots with digital no longer needing to make in camera dupes.

6. Aushiker

Aushiker Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Never something I consider or get concerned about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Nope. But every time I sell one I have to find out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    Really? Why would I care? I know I'm used to film cameras but any camera I had to worry about a shutter count on is automatically too fragile for my tastes.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I enjoy taking photos. The lower the shutter count, the less the enjoyment.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The EVF makes it easier to get the shot you want and you don't have to chimp the images; they are already WYSIWYG or 'pre-chimped'.

11. Doesn't bother me but when I sold my camera gear on ebay I was inundated with requests for shutter counts. I've even had requests for the count on film cameras :wtf::coco:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Shutter count is more a way of trying to see how much a camera was used in general than judging how close the shutter mechanism is to failing. A camera with a high shutter count has probably been through countless lens changes, bumped into things or dropped, been used in less than perfect conditions, etc. The shutter is not the weak link in most digital cameras. In my nearly 20 years of digital cameras I had a couple of early compacts that failed when the lens would not extend and a GX7 that had a big piece of dust get between the AA filter and the sensor. Looking on the forums I see lots of complaints about controls failing, electronics dying, and cosmetic complaints about trim peeling. But I don't think I ever read someone mention the shutter failed. That seems to be an issue only for pros that always shoot in burst mode and use their camera for hours each day.

While I am using the camera I don't worry about it. If I want to shoot in burst mode, I shoot in burst mode. If I want to experiment by taking hundreds of pictures I know I will delete I do so. I don't invest in cameras, I buy them to take pictures with. If that means the resale value will be zero when I am through with it then so be it.

But if I think it will help sell a camera I do include that information in the description. And I would pay attention to when buying a used camera if the shutter count was over 50,000. I don't shoot bursts all that often and don't take nearly as many pictures in general as others here. That taking hundreds of pictures I know I will delete thing I mentioned does not happen all that often. So my cameras have a pretty low shutter count when and if I sell them. If that low shutter count matters to someone else it makes sense to include it. A low shutter count is an easy to compare number and people love easy to compare numbers. Its kind of like how 15 years ago all most people knew about digital cameras was megapixels. I recently sold a GM5 and it sold pretty quickly. I think that was partly due to the low shutter count. I doubt its having a 2000 shutter count made it a better camera than one with 5000 clicks. In both cases the camera was far from used up. But it mattered to someone else.

13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    YES! Digital cameras are essentially appliances, just like TVs, toasters and kettles.
    In days gone by, cameras were precision mechanical instruments carefully assembled and calibrated by trained technicians. Cameras these days, not so much. I drag my equipment to job sites, the park and grocery shopping. If I can't use Hell out of it, I don't want it.

14. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Since I normally either sell to KEH or give the camera away, don't. I realized if I worried about shutter count I became less of a photographer. Darn the clicks and full speed ahead......

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Well in the old days, if you wore out a 50,000 rated shutter, you had spent 5 figures on film and processing already. The cost of the camera was moot.

I personally do not worry about shutter count. I bought my camera to take pictures and an increasing shutter count means I am getting a lot of use and enjoyment out of my camera. That's a lot better than seeing these sad 2 year old cameras for sale on forums with <1000 shutter count.

I am moderately instered in shutter count when buying a used camera. But only to make sure that it isn't way out of line. If you buy someone's camera that shoots sports every weekend, it could have 100k shots after a year and may not last very long compared to one that was just used for travel photography and has 5k shots.

16. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I suspect that a lot of owners use the electronic shutter to keep the mechanical count down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I believe that many keep track of shutter count because a few weeks after buying the body they are already thinking of upgrading and you can't list it as "minty", one of my favorite meaningless words that I associate with breath mints, if it has a reasonable or high shutter count. Fuji has solved that problem as their X body cameras do not keep track of the shutter count. If it has a shutter count I usually list that because some buyers are sensitive to that statistic and I understand that. I recently overheard a shooter say he did not take his camera out under certain conditions because it would diminish the resale value. I restricted myself from asking him then why in the hell did he buy the darn thing. But as a somewhat, sometimes, mature person I did not ask the question. But I was thinking it. ;) 

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have never known the shutter count on a single camera I have owned. I don’t even know how to find out the shutter count. I do think the shutter failed on my G7, but I am not sure. It was out of warranty and I didn’t want to pay Panasonic to tell me what was wrong with it. It just got to where it would take one picture and lock up. If I turned it off and back on I could get one more picture. Maybe it wasn’t the shutter. I don’t know. I know I didn’t have that many clicks on the camera. But other than that, I don’t believe I’ve had a shutter issue.

19. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I know a professional photographer that does track his shutter count. When it reaches certain thresholds he gets his (medium format) camera serviced, so that he's got a lower chance of it failing during a shoot.

Personally I don't know or track shutter count, and it's mostly irrelevant anyway - I mostly shoot electronic shutter, and that's mainly because it's faster in burst and it's lovely and quiet. If I have the mechanical shutter enabled either I've already had a rolling shutter issue or I want better flash sync speeds.

However, as curiousity kicked in, I found the hidden menu item and checked: 6 full shutter button presses for each shutter use, so approximately a 6 to 1 electronic to mechanical shutter use. At the current rate of usage the camera will need its shutter replacing in June of 2213.

20. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    I once bought a canon eos 350d body for $1995. Sold it about 7 or 8 yrs later for $200.
    It was still going good and looked smart, just as every new model came out, it became worth less.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.