Do you use screen protector?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loloban, Dec 28, 2013.

1. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    Do you use screen protector?
    I still have the sticker on my pm2, but I think I'll take that off soon. Still thinking if I should put on a screen protector or not.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Yes, use a screen protector. It's much better than having a permanent scratch on the screen.
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    No. The ones I have had, degraded the view in bright outdoor light. So I'm very careful with my cameras. treating them as very fragile.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Any recommendations for the EM-5 ?
    I'm currently using one designed for a mobile phone, had to cut to size and stick the edges down with black masking tape :)
    I like the Giottos pro optical glass, but the touch screen function is then disabled (I believe).
  5. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    I've got this one on my E-M5 & it does take away some detail because of the matt finish, but is easy to apply & remove.

And I put this clear one on my Stylus 1 (mini OM-D with same size screen).

Look on ebay for the best supplier & price for these as I got packs with 3 in them.
  6. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    check this one out - it works well and you can use the touch screen.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks Ross.
    At that price it's probably worth giving it a go. I only refer to the screen to review the settings, and the histogram. I don't bother too much reviewing the pics using such a small screen.
    Did you have any problems with entrapping air bubbles when applying to the screen?

Thanks also to Frank.
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Never have...never a scratch on any of my 20+ digital cameras' screens, despite being a working news photographer for years! :D Although with my Canons I was much more confident, as they have a built-in protector that's cheap and easy to change if it's damaged!
  9. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have never used a screen protector. I have so far owned four digital cameras since 2006 with rear screens and never had a permanent mark on any of them. Two of my older digital compacts are still being used by my parents, without screen protectors, and they still have no damage to them.
  10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I use this one on my E-M5:

and this one on my E-PL1:

and each has given me good service (easily wiped, no lifting from the camera, no air bubbles, etc.).

When "chimping" or accessing the menus on the cameras the protective screens do not hinder my seeing the images/menu selections.

However - I do NOT (under nearly all conditions) use the screen for framing - I use the built in EVF on the E-M5 and the EVF-2 on the EPL-1. I haven't noticed the protector(s) getting in the way of framing shots when I do use the screen but since those are rare occasions I wouldn't presume to speak for others.

11. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I was just like James for about 10 years. Babied my cameras, never had a problem, until I did.

One day my daughter was looking for something in the trunk of the car and opened the wrong bag on accident. My camera fell out and got a small scratch on the rear screen. Fortunately it was only a P&S, but it still drove me crazy knowing it was there every time I used it after that.

I still don't buy screen protectors for my phone or my P&S's. I've owned about 4 smart phones and never had a problem... until I did. You'd think I'd have learned from the P&S incident. I now have a small scratch on my Note 2 and it drives me nuts every time I look at it.

My E-M1 and 6D both have screen protectors now, as will my next smart phone.
  12. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Just got an E-M5, my first new camera; never used any protector on all the previous ones and only had minor blemishes on the screens. On a Canon 10D, though, i had to replace the 'cover' they have on Canon LCD's.
    With the E-M5 i thought i'd give the Ebay protectors a shot, being so inexpensive: just got them a few days ago. 6 are in the package and had to use 3 to get one on clean; but now i have it on, can't even tell and the screen will be more protected with it.
    I guess it's probably worth it, but i'll find out in the long run if it lasts (can always replace it though).
  13. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Used a hard screen protector on EPM1, removed it for the last couple of months. Felt way better without it. Going naked now with my EM1.
  14. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    What is the difference between Ultra-Clear and Anti-Glare?
  15. loloban

loloban Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
  16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I always, always, always use screen protectors on my camera, phone and tablet. That way, I never have to worry. I buy quality - a small price to pay for peace of mind. Zagg is my brand of choice.
  17. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes... Indeed I agree, It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I usually just buy Kenko brand for cameras.
  18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    pointless waste of money..

I don't mollycoddle my cameras and never had an issue

10 years ago LCD's may have been more fragile... but not today... I have even stopped having UV filters on my lenses

save the money for something that improves the photo.

The camera you buy today has a resale value of 50% in a year... OK value to you is more..but you will learn to live with any scratch you encur

maybe if you shoot in wild sandstorms it might be an issue... but then again th bit that takes the sand is the lens

screen protectors are film flam sales to the gullible :)

just my opinion...

19. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did when i first bought my OMD. But soon I realized that im too "greasy" for screen protectors. The screen would get covered with fingerprints and face oil....sorry if it sounds disgusting....and cleaning plastic SP is harder than a naked screen. So I took it off. I also decided to take the "condom" off my just feels better. I dont care about scratches anymore
  20. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    With careful application it should go on OK but can be lifted to try again (rubbing from side to side as it is gradually lowered). I have ordered some more because I'd rather have spares at that cheap price, but they do work well & the clear one is working nicely on my Stylus 1 screen (LCD rather than the OLED of the E-M5) with absolutely no problems using the touch screen.