Do you use protective (UV) filters.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

When I had my 4/3 kit I had UV filters on all my lenses (OK not the 7-14 and 8mm FE) but I have not yet installed them on my any of my MFT kit.

I don't want to restart all the pros & cons arguments - just interested in what others are doing so a simple poll.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Bill have you seen this thread in the Accessories forum: Filters?

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

BB I hadn't but that thread ranged over several issues - I'd still like the poll to run if that's OK.

4. BBW

Yup, that's fine.

Oddly, I hadn't even seen the poll part when I first read this... I'll go up and cast my lot now!:biggrin:

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I'll let it stand - the February post you pointed me too has that kind of info (I like the test site - surprisingly good results for Hoya).

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't use a UV filter, I use a clear B+W MRC filter on my 40.5. Works wonders.

7. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Why not protect your lens? I have 'em on all of my lenses.

8. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    You didn't put enough choices in the poll!

What about "I only use them in extreme weather" or similar?

9. BBW

I cast my vote and yes, I use them.

10. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I cast my vote yes as well, but it's conditional.

In my old film/SLR days (OM-1MD, OM-2N, Maxxum 7000i) I used filters religiously. They went on the day I got the lenses and never came off. I was particularly loyal to the name brand Olympus & Minolta filters, which were very slim.

In the last 10 years, I've gone through a series of P&S & superzooms (currently S90 and SX1is - which I plan to sell soon). These have no filter nor filter capabilities, but they're essentially disposable. Since the camera itself is not interesting after a few years, who cares what happened to the lens in the meantime? (I'm exaggerating, of course, I continue to be careful how I treat the exposed lenses.)

So now I have the E-P2 and have picked up a handful of µ4/3 lenses and more OM Zuikos on eBay. I keep the lenses and filters separate, and at home don't use the filters. When I head out the door, any lens I'm carrying has a filter on it, that stays on until I get around to using it at home. In some cases (e.g. 50mm f/1.8) the filter costs more than the lens it's protecting, so I have to wonder.

Not sure how long that practice will last, but I hate the thought that there's one more piece of glass (even if it is Shott glass and MRC) between the sensor and whatever I'm photographing.

11. lggomez

lggomez Mu-43 Regular

All my lenses have filters ND and sometimes polarizer, but I don't stock them.

12. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Yes

Yes they have to be quality tho' like Hoya Super UMC

13. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Ok the poll results so far are predictable. Have just ordered some Hoyas from The Camera Hunter.

14. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Yes, I use them. Last thing I want is scratched glass.

15. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Yip, I use them too.
    Have a nice weekend.

16. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    i have them but removed them after seeing ghosting in my images. so for protecting the glass, i use a hood instead.

17. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I voted no but I do have some and would use them under adverse condition such as high winds, sand, dust or heavy rain. But in general no. I used to have the expensive B+W MCR filters for my Nikon and Canon lenses but sometimes noticed highlight reflections due to them and started taking them off to shoot.

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This thread got me thinking about flare and ghost reflections when I got home. So I decided, with the setting sun, to take some pictures with and without the B+W filter. In the cases with the filter on which had ghost images, the same picture had ghost images without the filter on, but less noticeable. Internal reflections can still show up in any lens system, but adding extra glass, regardless of how well its coated, will add to the ghosting. With anything, its about compromise. I really wish they'd come out with a snap on type filter system, it sure would make it easier to take on and off in a hurry.

Dj

19. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yeah i use them on all 3 of my lenses. Much less costly to replace if it get scratched. But i would imagine you would have to get a decent quality filter as you don't want to distort the image in anyway. I like the look it gives the lens as well, Kinda give it a bigger front glass look.

20. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    You "like the look it gives the lens"? What is it, a photographic tool or a fashion accessory? :smile:

My experience mirrors LisaO's.
    And you should always be using a lens hood to maximise your image quality, which has the added benefit of reducing the risk of scratching. So for me an extra piece of glass usually only serves to reduce optical quality.

With my bigger EF lenses, the cost of a quality 77mm filter is greater than for a small filter for a μ4/3 lens, and if the front element of the lens ever did get damaged the cost of repairing the lens is not significant. However, I'm not sure how the economics of this would play out with the smaller and cheaper lenses I use on μ4/3.
    But from a purely optical-quality point of view the answer is simple for me.