Do you use lens caps?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by kponds, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    When I used DSLR, I never used lens caps, front or rear.

On mirrorless, I use rear lens caps, but not front lens caps.

I am more concerned about getting dust getting to the sensor with lens changes on mirrorless than I was with DSLR. Is this a legitimate line of thinking? Or is the risk of dust getting on the sensor the same as it was if a mirror were there? Is the shutter closed on a DSLR when not exposing?

I would really like to not use rear lens caps in order to speed up lens changes, but I still worry about it. Anyone out there have any experience or opinions?
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I always use both....
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I always use lens caps. They can get dinged otherwise. When shooting, I'll leave the front cap off, especially when I use a hood.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I am not clear about how using or not using lens caps impacts dust getting on a sensor. Can you elaborate?

5. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    If I throw lenses in my bag or pocket with no rear lens cap on, it gets more dust and junk on the rear element than if it has a lens cap on. Once I mount that lens, the dust and junk has the potential to get on the sensor. With mirrorless, the sensor has an electronic charge (that attracts dust) all of the time that the camera is on, which is much different than DSLR.

I don't really care about the lens getting dirty or dinged, as that doesn't effect image quality, I just don't want to get my sensor dirty or damaged.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I always shoot with the lens cap off. Photos tend to be underexposed otherwise. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Chase

Chase New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    I almost always use both, but I could go without a front cap if I'm on the street/job working quickly. Always a rear cap on my lenses though.
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Did you see the movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?
  9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Use both, unless time is of the essence and I'm switching lenses multiple times in quick-ish succession. Then the front cap comes off when I put the lens back in the bag.
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    As your signature lists an E-M5, I would recommend taking steps to avoid exposure to things like dust as best as possible and to your level of comfort. While the E-M5 does have an automated cleaning system, Olympus does not recommend users try to clean their sensors manually because, IIRC, you can damage the IBIS system. Items that do not come off during regular automated cleaning, or by using some type of forced air, would probably need to be removed by a factory cleaning. Then again, YMMV, and only you can decide what works best for your style of shooting.

Also, doesn't rear element dust/dirt show up more readily in the final image than stuff that lands on the front element?

Good luck,

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    ^^^^ This.^^^^^^ Down to the part about especially when I'm shooting with a hood...

12. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

You need to update the poll. I use front and rear caps and a UV filter. Not sure why you'd use a front cap and UV filter but not a rear cap.
  13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

15. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I am not lazy and I care for my gear.

Rear caps: always. If a lens is not on the camera it has a rear cap

Front caps: when a lens is off the camera it always has a front cap. When on the camera it's always capped when in the bag. When on a shoulder or wrist strap it is either capped or has a hood.

I NEVER use the so-called UV "protection" filters.They often degrade image quality, never help the image, and are generally a waste of money.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    No rear caps? Ugh, no thanks. Olympus might make the best dust reduction system for ILCs but I've no desire to give it a harder time than is necessary. I do the same as some others have mentioned, being sometimes not recapping the front of a lens if it has a substantial hood, but otherwise the caps are always on (front and rear) when the lens is not on the camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I always use both. I rarely need to change lenses that fast. I'm more likely to have lenses mounted on two bodies and just switch cameras. I use both caps to protect my lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos
  19. totohdyt

totohdyt Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Used both rear and front caps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    If the rear element gets dirt or dust on it the image quality is completely screwed ... in my experience.
    So for me the rear lens cap is the most important for IQ, the front cap is for protection.
    It all has NOTHING to do with thinking about dust on the sensor, for me anyway.

Look at the poll : no lens caps is an aberration for a good reason.