Do You Use A Strap

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 16, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Just wondering if people use a strap with their Mu-43 cameras. Back when I used film I was doing a lot of cross country skiing, walking caving etc so all my cameras had straps. I used 12mm tube tape strong enough to hang the camera off a harness. Since then I have just used cheap point and shoot digitals no straps. Now I have an Olympus Pen E-P5 I am tossing up to use a strap or not. I really like using the camera without a strap, but on walks I often worry about slipping and possibly dropping the camera.

If you use a strap is it a neck strap or wrist strap. I have seen those conversion straps with fastex buckles where you can convert between neck and wrist. These look good as I could unclip them when using a tripod. But not sure how reliable fastex buckles are for expensive camera equipment.

While looking around the web for strap recommendation I came across a few articles where the strap lugs had pulled out of Olympus cameras. Something I would never had considered possible. Would this have been through very rough use or a potential problem for everyday use?

Such a large variety or straps and harnesses around, just interested in what if anything do people use and possibly why. Especially in the outdoor arena.

Regards MarkL

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I don't use a strap 99% of the time. As a wildlife photographer I find them to just get in the way and caught on stuff. When I do use its a Black rapid strap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't because I feel I don't need to. One of the reasons for investing in m43.

• Like Like x 1
  4. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Israel
    Alex
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2014
    I use Black Rapid sling straps with quick release clamps. I especially like the strap to steady waist level shots when I'm using the touch screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. For the E-M1, I've got a light BlackRapid QR sling from the Snap-R bags attached to one strap lug, and a Joby wrist strap on the other lug. Because it gets qyite heavy with a 12-40, an L-plate and a flash on it, I've got a DIY S-biner QR that attaches the wrist strap to the main sling for extra security. If I'm tripod mounting or need to detach I just put on the wrist strap and release the QRs.

For the GM5, it's just the BlackRapid Snap-R QR sling/wrist strap. I usually only bother with the wrist strap.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use a neck strap most of the time and switch to a wrist strap when I'm going to do a lot of continuous shooting. I have 2 point clips mounted to the cameras and snap the different straps on and off as required.

8. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    I use both neck and wrist straps. I switch them out with the quick disconnects as needed. I'm a clumsy oaf and only need them because it's a certainty that without some sort of tether, the camera would end up dropped and busted. I cheaped out though and just made my own out of paracord.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Black Rapid straps for me most of the time. If I do not want to do that, I use a wrist strap when a light lens is used. It is not to support the cameras weight, but for emergency if someone bumps me or I fumble and lose my grip on the camera.

I've given up neck straps years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    When I carry my bag I use the peak design clip and no strap. I switch to the peak design lite sling when I don't have the bag.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Mu-43 app

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    When shooting µ4/3 I often have two cameras on the go (one normal the other full spectrum converted).
    I have the lighter body (GF2) on a compact camera wrist strap and the other (G5) on a neck strap. this makes it very easy to switch between the two. When using the G5 I can just let the GF2 dangle, unless it's a vibration critical set up...

When out with my DSLR I use a palm strap (like a video camera). It keeps my camera ready to hand, yet is quick to release & doesn't get in the way if I need a tripod (or with the heavy weight lenses which usually have a neck strap fitted directly). I'd use the same for µ4/3 if I wasn't frequently switching bodies.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm often so space-restricted on my motorcycle trips (sometimes carrying all my gear in a backpack and nothing else) that even the bulkiness of a cushioned strap is too much. So I typically use the smaller Op-Tech wrist straps - the 1/4" (IIRC) models geared more towards point-and-shoot cameras.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't use a neck strap, but I do use a wrist strap. I also use a small pouch that I can use a neck strap or belt attachment.

A combination of these:
    Soft Pouch™ - Zippeez
    Camera lanyard, Paracord Lanyard, Wrist Lanyard, Camera Leash, Camera Accessory, Camera Strap
    http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/mini-qd-loops.html

With the mini loops I remove the metal triangles and use the loops instead. I had the makers of the Paracord camera lanyard make me two of these with the next size up cord. One their standard length and one longer.

Here is a thread I started a while back on the strap:
    Custom Paracord strap with a twist - Updated with finished images

I ended up selling off the short red/gray one and having them make me another with the thicker cord like the longer one.

14. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Just a wrist strap

15. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    More or less always on a strap, with anything larger than an small PS. Never had a wrist strap, but have looped the carrier strap around my wrist on occasion.

16. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I use a finger strap that came with my Cosy Sling Street-O-Matic. It seems to work quite well, but I'm considering upgrading to a wrist strap. I find that Neck Straps are fairly annoying when walking with them, so I'd rather have the camera in hand, but I do want some security. The only problem, is that neck straps make lens changing a lot easier, but I will probably just get some carabiners to clip my camera to my backpack for lens changes in the future.

17. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I use an OP/TECH USA Mirrorless Strap and an OP/TECH USA Cam Strap-QD (wrist strap) . When I need to have 2 cameras available at the same time I use a OP/TECH USA Dual Harness. They are affordable and pretty decent quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I keep a simple, lightweight neck strap on the E-P5, which I usually wrap around my wrist a couple of times. To me it seems like the best of both worlds: secure in hand most of the time but able to throw it around my neck when I need both hands free.

19. neilvan

neilvan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2010
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Neil
    90% of the time I just use a 'safety' wrist strap that I make for all of my cameras out of shock cord (they are very light and work amazing, even for my much larger cameras).

Other than that, if I am going for a longer hike than normal I use my Black Rapid RS-7 and Acratech Swift clamp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I rarely use a strap, even though I have one I like (Chrome Niko). Feels too awkward and touristy. I do have a little wrist strap made by Konica probably thirty years ago that I use (it's on my little GM5 now).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.