Do You Use A Strap

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 16, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Just wondering if people use a strap with their Mu-43 cameras. Back when I used film I was doing a lot of cross country skiing, walking caving etc so all my cameras had straps. I used 12mm tube tape strong enough to hang the camera off a harness. Since then I have just used cheap point and shoot digitals no straps. Now I have an Olympus Pen E-P5 I am tossing up to use a strap or not. I really like using the camera without a strap, but on walks I often worry about slipping and possibly dropping the camera.

If you use a strap is it a neck strap or wrist strap. I have seen those conversion straps with fastex buckles where you can convert between neck and wrist. These look good as I could unclip them when using a tripod. But not sure how reliable fastex buckles are for expensive camera equipment.

While looking around the web for strap recommendation I came across a few articles where the strap lugs had pulled out of Olympus cameras. Something I would never had considered possible. Would this have been through very rough use or a potential problem for everyday use?

Such a large variety or straps and harnesses around, just interested in what if anything do people use and possibly why. Especially in the outdoor arena.

Regards MarkL

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't use a strap 99% of the time. As a wildlife photographer I find them to just get in the way and caught on stuff. When I do use its a Black rapid strap.

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't because I feel I don't need to. One of the reasons for investing in m43.

4. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I use Black Rapid sling straps with quick release clamps. I especially like the strap to steady waist level shots when I'm using the touch screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For the E-M1, I've got a light BlackRapid QR sling from the Snap-R bags attached to one strap lug, and a Joby wrist strap on the other lug. Because it gets qyite heavy with a 12-40, an L-plate and a flash on it, I've got a DIY S-biner QR that attaches the wrist strap to the main sling for extra security. If I'm tripod mounting or need to detach I just put on the wrist strap and release the QRs.

For the GM5, it's just the BlackRapid Snap-R QR sling/wrist strap. I usually only bother with the wrist strap.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use a neck strap most of the time and switch to a wrist strap when I'm going to do a lot of continuous shooting. I have 2 point clips mounted to the cameras and snap the different straps on and off as required.

8. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    I use both neck and wrist straps. I switch them out with the quick disconnects as needed. I'm a clumsy oaf and only need them because it's a certainty that without some sort of tether, the camera would end up dropped and busted. I cheaped out though and just made my own out of paracord.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Black Rapid straps for me most of the time. If I do not want to do that, I use a wrist strap when a light lens is used. It is not to support the cameras weight, but for emergency if someone bumps me or I fumble and lose my grip on the camera.

I've given up neck straps years ago.

10. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    When I carry my bag I use the peak design clip and no strap. I switch to the peak design lite sling when I don't have the bag.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Mu-43 app

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    When shooting µ4/3 I often have two cameras on the go (one normal the other full spectrum converted).
    I have the lighter body (GF2) on a compact camera wrist strap and the other (G5) on a neck strap. this makes it very easy to switch between the two. When using the G5 I can just let the GF2 dangle, unless it's a vibration critical set up...

When out with my DSLR I use a palm strap (like a video camera). It keeps my camera ready to hand, yet is quick to release & doesn't get in the way if I need a tripod (or with the heavy weight lenses which usually have a neck strap fitted directly). I'd use the same for µ4/3 if I wasn't frequently switching bodies.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm often so space-restricted on my motorcycle trips (sometimes carrying all my gear in a backpack and nothing else) that even the bulkiness of a cushioned strap is too much. So I typically use the smaller Op-Tech wrist straps - the 1/4" (IIRC) models geared more towards point-and-shoot cameras.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't use a neck strap, but I do use a wrist strap. I also use a small pouch that I can use a neck strap or belt attachment.

A combination of these:
    Soft Pouch™ - Zippeez
    Camera lanyard, Paracord Lanyard, Wrist Lanyard, Camera Leash, Camera Accessory, Camera Strap
    http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/mini-qd-loops.html

With the mini loops I remove the metal triangles and use the loops instead. I had the makers of the Paracord camera lanyard make me two of these with the next size up cord. One their standard length and one longer.

Here is a thread I started a while back on the strap:
    Custom Paracord strap with a twist - Updated with finished images

I ended up selling off the short red/gray one and having them make me another with the thicker cord like the longer one.

14. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Just a wrist strap

15. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    More or less always on a strap, with anything larger than an small PS. Never had a wrist strap, but have looped the carrier strap around my wrist on occasion.

16. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I use a finger strap that came with my Cosy Sling Street-O-Matic. It seems to work quite well, but I'm considering upgrading to a wrist strap. I find that Neck Straps are fairly annoying when walking with them, so I'd rather have the camera in hand, but I do want some security. The only problem, is that neck straps make lens changing a lot easier, but I will probably just get some carabiners to clip my camera to my backpack for lens changes in the future.

17. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I use an OP/TECH USA Mirrorless Strap and an OP/TECH USA Cam Strap-QD (wrist strap) . When I need to have 2 cameras available at the same time I use a OP/TECH USA Dual Harness. They are affordable and pretty decent quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I keep a simple, lightweight neck strap on the E-P5, which I usually wrap around my wrist a couple of times. To me it seems like the best of both worlds: secure in hand most of the time but able to throw it around my neck when I need both hands free.

19. neilvan

neilvan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2010
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Neil
    90% of the time I just use a 'safety' wrist strap that I make for all of my cameras out of shock cord (they are very light and work amazing, even for my much larger cameras).

Other than that, if I am going for a longer hike than normal I use my Black Rapid RS-7 and Acratech Swift clamp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I rarely use a strap, even though I have one I like (Chrome Niko). Feels too awkward and touristy. I do have a little wrist strap made by Konica probably thirty years ago that I use (it's on my little GM5 now).