Do you use a hood on your Pan 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gyles, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    As per title really, would like to know what type of hood you use on your Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

Solid, vented, rubber, metal.......please feel free to post pictures and links.
  2. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I am interested in this as well
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    There are probably times that I should use a hood, but I use the 20 as a fast "indoor" lens. I tend to use the 14mm outdoors. I haven't had any significant flare problems thus far.
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I do have a screw-in metal vented lens hood I use sometimes . . . but not very often. I love the 20mm f/1.7 because it's so small, so I usually leave the hood at home and carry the camera + lens in my pocket.

I've not noticed any difference in images with or without, but to be honest I haven't looked for it.
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I used to use the screw-in vented hood, but realized that the AF got noisier as the whole lens element moves in/out when focusing.

Now I just use a 46-37 mm step down ring as an element protection device.
  6. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
  7. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
  8. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    i just got one of the vented metal hood from ebay like this one

when I put in, my immediate response was "why would I do this to this beautiful compact pancake lens?!" :)

anyway, haven't tried using it outside. hopefully soon.
  9. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    The 20 isn't a beautiful lens to begin with IMO. A nice looking hood like a vented metal one is an aesthetic upgrade! Not to mention its protective value. I rather have my hood ditched than the precious glass. I don't use caps when I'm out and my hood is bruised and dented all over. Don't wanna know what my lens would look like without it.
  10. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    I use a step up ring. I think you get these benefits with it:

1.) protection -a few mm of additional protection in front of lens element
    2.) it is extremely lightweight so it does not appear to be a burden to focusing motor
    3.) since it is a step up ring, I can mount all of my filters that go on my 14-45 and 45-200 mm.
    4.) saves money (look 3. - you dont need to buy multiple filters)
    5.) by using step up ring, you can also use lens cap from your other lens with the same thread.
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I use a collapsible rubber hood on my P20. I'm not sure it's strictly necessary to combat flare (which I don't think this lens is particularly prone to), but it certainly can't hurt. What I do like that it adds a bit of protection while maintaining the slim profile of the pancake lens.

I don't have any pictures of my hood at hand, but [post=224871]here are some really good shots[/post] from another user.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Step-down ring user here. I like the slim profile and didn't have problems with flare.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    I use a 46mm to 37mm step down ring and a 37mm vented metal hood. Previously I used a 46mm vented metal hood as some others have said. That did not work for me because it did not give sufficient shading.

I am primarily a social photographer and one of my favourite shots is a portrait shot almost straight into the sun with some fill flash to lift the shadows. To get the effect I want I need a lens hood that shields only the angle of view of the lens, and no more.

In my Leica outfit I have lens hoods, both Leica and off-brand, that admirably fulfil that purpose. The 46mm hood on my P20/1.7 did not, but the 37mm does it perfectly.

There is also the advantage that the 37mm hood fits my Oly45/1.8. My other lenses are zooms and they all have their hoods stored on the lens. Being able to use the 37mm hood on the P20 and the Oly45 means I only need to carry one loose hood.

Size and weight were my main reasons for investing in m4/3. I like an outfit bag that is no bigger than absolutely necessary. Carrying one less hood helps me achieve that objective.

I use a hood all the time, no matter what lens, what subject, whether outdoors or in and regardless of the lighting. Use of a hood never detracts from your photography; when you really need one, it is already on the lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    I use the same thing as DeeJayK -- or at least something very similar. I like how it collapses to get out of the way. I haven't check carefully for vignetting.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Make that 3. Works exceedingly well, collapses to not much bigger than the lens and can take on the same lenscap as the original lens without having to use a stepper ring.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I use the Quantaray 46mm Lens Hood. Available from Amazon and Ritz camera. It's rubber, screws in and flips back out of the way when not in use. Cost $14.00.
  17. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
  18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
  19. ditto. Adds a bit of girth, but not much additional length when collapsed. No vignetting issues when extended. Allows using the 20mm stock lens cap. Paid a bit more than $3, but I don't remember the B+W labeled unit as expensive (unlike OLY hoods). After couple seasons of use exposed to sea salt air, desert heat and Northwoods cold winter days the hood still functions as new. Ascetically I prefer the vented hoods. But was not sure if the lens cap would fit.