1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you use 4/3 lenses on your m4/3 camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dhazeghi, Jun 2, 2014.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm interested to get a sense of what proportion of folks here are currently using 4/3 lenses, and for those who are, which lenses they are using (and on which bodies). Feel free to include your experiences and pictures of the gear in the responses! Thanks!

2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

The ability to use my 4/3s lenses on my E-M10 was one of the major reasons I considered another Olympus camera. I was inclined to avoid Oly from now on. I'm glad I performed "due diligence" and explored the m4/3s cameras. I got a good one, I think

3. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    As a long-time Olympus shooter I have a fairly large collection of 4/3 lenses and so the ability to use them on the EM-1 was a strong motivator for me to get that camera. I had previously owned an EP-1 and EM-5 and felt that the 4/3 lenses just didn't perform well on those bodies due to AF issues. I think the EM-1 represents a big improvement although the native m4/3 lenses still outperform in terms of AF on the EM-1(but not necessarily in image quality).

In terms of lenses, my "go to" favorites are the 14-54mm and the 50-200mm SWD although I also feel my 35-100 SHG balances pretty well on the EM-1, especially with the optional grip. I have toyed with the idea of getting a 12-60mm SWD since I find the focal length range of that lens to pretty optimum for everyday use but there is so much overlap with my 14-54mm that I haven't pulled the trigger and if I want something on the 12mm end I generally just pull out the 12-50mm m4/3 kit lens. I also own the 50mm macro in 4/3 as well as the 9-18mm and the original 40-150mm. I have the EC-20 teleconverter and I think in a closet somewhere I have a 14-45mm 4/3 lens as well.

I would say right now I am in transition. I don't want to give up my 4/3 glass due to the often superior optics and aperture ranges but I also appreciate the small form factor of the m4/3 lenses so I have been picking up a few here and there. If anyone has any feedback on the 12-60 SWD compared to the 14-54mm or the m4/3 12-40mm I would appreciate it.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Sometimes use a 14-54 mk2 on my EM5, focus speed borders on acceptable, however I am more than happy with IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I've had them all at the same time: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=54217&page=6&p=652614#post652614

IQ in real shooting is a wash. AF speed is pretty much a wash with the 12-60 and the 12-40 with Firmware 1.4, the 14-54II still lags there. When on the body they all feel equally big. The 12-40 performs less well at the long end, so it all depends on what you want. The 12-40 is very sharp at the wide end, less distortion and beautifully built, but not small. For me the 12-60 is a better choice but I had to buy the 12-40 before I could convince myself :wink: .

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not a very large sample size yet, but I'm impressed with the high proportion of people using 4/3 lenses so far.

I'm the lone 'used to use them' vote at the moment - used the 12-60 as my main lens for over a year, but the combination of the native 12-40's fast focusing on the E-M5 and warranty (seriously - my 12-60 was repaired twice, at a cost of >$400 total) was enough to sway me. Still not sure if I made the right call selling the 50-200 though - the AF was terrible on the E-M5, but the lens was wonderfully sharp and quite inexpensive.

7. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    My experience was that my 50-200mm SWD went from being the worst at AF on my EM-5 to the best of my 4/3 lenses on my EM-1.

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I voted yes because I still have and occasionally use the 50mm f2 macro. I have tried several others with limited success but have opted to stay with the smaller native m4/3 lenses where possible. The 50mm f2 is sharper than the 45mm 1.8 and I like to get it out and use it occasionally.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess my views and the lenses I use are well known. :)

10. StirlingBartholomew

StirlingBartholomew New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2014
    I don't own any mu43 lenses. I have a 50-200 Zuiko mk1 and a 14-54 Zuiko mk1. Use both of them on a G2 and an E-M5 purchased recently. Manual focus is required with the 50-200 Zuiko mk1. It almost focus right at 200mm but almost isn't good enough. I haven't tested much with the 14-54 Zuiko mk1 on E-M5 but my impresson is that the focus is erratic. Not something you would depend on when you have to bring home usable images.

I also have seven Pentax Primes from 40-50 years old. Have used the 50-55mm primes a lot on my G2. Stellar performance at f5.6. The 85mm F2 is also a good performer and has nice bokah at f2. The 200mm F4 (Pentax M series) isn't so hot. The 35mm F3.5 Pentax K is a dog. Don't use it.

I have no intention of picking up any mu43 glass. The kit lenses are not anywhere near the optical quality of what I already have. The pro lenses cost 2-3 times what paid for the MU43 camera bodies.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    before micro 4/3 I had a E-510 and acquired 9-18, 25 pancake, 25 summilux, 12-60, 50mm macro and the 50-200 in addition to a whole plethroa of legacy lens

the 50 macro and the 50-200 are the only ones I consider putting in my bag... but thats mainly because they offer performance and facility that are either not yet available in micro 4/3 - such as the 50-200, or deliver an equal performance/ functonality to the micro 4/3 equivalent

As far as I can tell the 50-200 focuses as well on my e-m1 as it did on the 510... never shot a e-3 or e-5 so cant make judgement regarding those bodies, but suspect that e-m1 is as good as e-3 and not far off the e-5

otherwise for my personal needs ( I dont like ultra wide), the micro 4/3 prime lenses( 14, 17, 20, 25,45,75) offer better size/performance

I have not been tempted by the 12-40 or indeed the the longer panasonic zooms... maybe I could be tempted with the 300/4

K

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My 4/3 lenses focus as fast and definitely better (accuracy and low light level performance) with my E-M1 than they do/did with my E-3/E-5.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you are missing out.... I have a drawer full of legacy lenses, Takumars, Nikkors, Contax and OM even a summicron.... at equivalent focal length and aperture the modern lenses thrash the legacy lenses in every aspect apart from maybe character ... or is that nostalgia?

well they do for the photography i am aiming at... of course your values may be different

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  14. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    As you can see, Dara, this is a cross-post from the 43 photo forum, but thought I'd post it here, too, and perhaps get some reaction from the forum I use most often.

Yes, I use both the 70-300 and the 50-200 (non-SWD version) on my EM5 .

Can't use the 50-200 for anything that's not static, or almost static. But I've tried the 70-300 for some action shots of my pup's Disc Dog club competitions. Have had okay results with that combo, but it's really tough trying to shoot that kind of action with an EVF. As a result, I'm now hunting for a reasonably priced used Nikon that'll be dedicated solely to shooting fast action with a long telephoto. May have to sell the 50-200 to finance it, but I'm trying hard to hang onto it since I love the look it produces.

For typical action results from the 70-300 on the EM5, you can see a video "slideshow" of a Disc Dogs competition I shot with that combo in May at this link...

Out of well over 500 shots only 300 were useable and none were what I'd call "great."

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Using 4/3 lenses with anything other than the E-M1 is going to be a far more difficult task because of the lack of PDAF.

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm still occasionally using my dad's ZD glass on my E-M1...

I got the 12-40mm as it handles better, IMO, than the 12-60 w mmf3 and I need something sealed and compact for an upcoming vacation. I believe it will fit on the camera in a ThinkTank MM10, which is a good size for me for a long trip.
    edit/update: Yes, it does fit in the MM10, along with the 17mm f1.8, batteries & cards, and I can put the BCL in a side pocket.

I will probably still carry the 12-60 on neighborhood walks, for the extra reach.

I will still be using the 7-14mm & 8mm for (occasional) real estate photos, but I decided to get the 9mm BCL for vacations.
    I was thinking of swapping the 7-14 for the forthcoming m.ZD if smaller, but I don't think it makes sense financially for me.

Probably keeping the 70-300mm & EC14 as I don't see much advantage in the 75-300 mft.

My nephew has my dad's 50-200SWD (his only lens, on an E-30)... He doesn't know what to do with it... I'd find it useful for his HS football and Lacrosse games (always at night) as the 70-300 is too dark.
    If I can't get it from him, I may one day buy one.

Been using the 35mm macro for product photos, flowers, etc., but not sure how often I will pull it out of the closet now since the 12-40 has some macro capability.

I found the 500mm Opteka to be unimpressive and will probably sell it.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

17. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I love my new ZD 150/2. I shot a bunch of pictures with it and my Panasonic 35-100 at the Stockholm Marathon this Saturday and each time I switched to the 35-100 I really missed that extra stop. Wonder how long I will be able to resist getting the SHG 35-100 lens, and maybe also the 14-35.

The lens I really dream of is the 300/2.8 though.

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use the 14-54 II lens on both E-M1 & E-M5 (with more explanation below). I also use the Sigma 150 macro lens where it works best for telephoto (including with the EC14) & macro if things are stationary (because this lens has never been that easy for macro AF handheld). It does struggle for macro with the EC14 quite badly. I used to use the 70-300 lens on the E-M5 quite OK (as it slows down even more in low light) before I got the 75-300 lens. I haven't bothered testing the other 4/3's lenses (35mm macro & kit lenses) on the E-M1.

Not all the time, as I've mentioned before. As the 14-54 II lens was designed for the E30 to handle 'Live View', it actually performs quite well on the E-M5 (with CD-AF) although a little slow. On the E-M1 & in good light with sufficient detail it can get focus reasonably quick, but in low light of dark, less detailed subjects, it can hunt back & forth. Check this thread for how good the CD-AF is on 3 different Oly cameras, but where the 14-54 II lens on the E-M1 for this is just hopeless. Consequently, the E-M5 gets used for this lens if it is low light, however, I used it on the E-M1 in church recently & tracked people walking down isle very well using S-AF with Slow Squential. I did use a big enough focus box area for it too though (I think possibly 9 boxes).

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks for all the responses! I certainly did not expect to see such a variety of different lenses in use. It's also interesting to see that not everybody using 4/3 lenses is using the E-M1, though there definitely is a good proportion that are.

20. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Thanks for the poll! I am surprised by the results so far!