1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Do you turn the camera OFF when changing a lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dennisk, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    The manual says you should turn the camera OFF before removing or attaching a lens to the body. A quick google search says that many folks do not.

I'm curious if there is anyone that leave the camera ON while switching lenses and if they ever ran into any problems?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes - I turn the camera off when switching lenses.

3. Baytoven

Baytoven Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, NC
    James Isaac
    As per instructed. No need to damage the equipment. It is a good practice to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Most of the time, but when I haven't it hasn't hurt my camera, I hope

• Like Like x 1
  5. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Always, why would you not? (changing lens is a rarity for me though)

6. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    For faster changing of lenses if/when needed. I'm so forgetful that it's also one less thing I need to remember to do. :)

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    When I'm in a rush I don't turn it off sometimes and haven't had any problems.

The only time it causes issues is occasionally when using manual glass the exposure gets out of wack (wayyyyyyy over-exposed) and won't return to normal until the camera is turned off and then turned back on...

• Like Like x 1
  8. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    You want to turn off the camera because while it's on, there is electric current running on the sensor which attracts dust particles more easily

• Like Like x 1
  9. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    The guy above me said it first...

Leaving the power on doesnt hurt the camera in any form, but when it's left on it will attract dust like metal to magnets.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Plus, the cleaning works on power up, so if something gets in there it will be shaken off

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, changing lenses with the power off is a dust prevention issue. Holding the camera pointed downwards also helps. As for me, I don't really bother. I swap lenses with the power on, left for long periods pointed up, whatever. The SSWF dust buster has always kept it clean for me. Of course, if I'm in an extreme dusty place I will be more careful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I rarely, (if ever), turn the power off when changing lenses. Always in a rush. Gotta stop and smell the roses, turn off the camera then change a lens or two.

13. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    :rolleyes:

From the E-P2 manual:

Maybe you should have a closer look at your camera's sensor Ned, SSWF only works when the camera is switched on.

• Like Like x 1