1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you shoot in 3:2 format by default?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Klorenzo, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think I just prefer the 3:2 most of the times, except maybe for vertical shots. I keep shooting 4:3 to get the extra resolution and because raw file will give me that format anyway. But often I find that cropping to 3:2 just works better. For wide panoramas even 16:9. Some times the pictures is not framed right for 3:2 so I just can't. I tried to get used to the 4:3 format but I'm still not convinced.

Yes, I could change format for any single picture, but in practice I'm not doing it, so I'm trying to find the one format to use by default.

What do you think?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm generally all over the place to be honest. I shoot to the full sensor resolution as well, but for lack of a better word - I crop after to the best fit of the image or the output.

I find that is either 4:3 or 1:1 a majority of the time. Something just resonates with me on a square crop - perhaps coming from my love of medium format square.
    If your mind is just more geared toward 3:2, then shoot to that for a time and see if there is something you are missing by not shooting 4:3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3:2 reduces your resolution and vertical and diagonal FOV. But if you are doing that anyway, why not save time? Just set it to 3:2 and crop in the viewfinder as you are framing.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I also go mostly 3:2. I get this cheap p&s kinda feeling by shooting 4:3. and it annoys me. too bad for the mpix loss but anyway...

5. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    One more. I prefer 2:3 for horizontal shots and 4:3 for verticals. No regrets about wasted pixels or going against Micro 4/3 native aspect ratio. It just seems right for me although I love Micro 4/3's a lot.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does that mean if you set your cheap P&S to 3:2 it becomes more "pro", too?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The problem is that shooting RAW I have to crop all the pictures, the good ones at least. Not a big problem but annoying: I have to check the mini jpeg snapshot with another program and match it or just redo the framing.

And I understand the P&S thing: when I got my first DSLR I thought: oh, finally the real format where you can do real composition :) I know, I know, medium format is 4:3, 5:4 and many others...

There is also the fact that monitors are usually 16:9 so a lot of space is lost there and the pictures looks smaller.

8. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    After shooting medium format most of my life, and printing them on 30x40 cm paper, I am set to 4:3. Although the other way around that the OP, I can relate; after medium format, I found it next to impossible to adjust to 35mm 3:2. Its very hard to change format. I rarely use other formats, and when I do, it is usually something rather extreme (stitched panorama's or square).

9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I shoot with 4:3 and then crop to whatever best fits the subject. Most of the time I know what that will be before I hit the shutter, but why go through all the menus when its so fast to do in Lightroom? Using micro four thirds, 35mm, and MF film, these days, I'm comfortable shooting just about any aspect ratio.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Since I crop almost everything at least a little, I just go with the most data, which is 4:3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I find 3:2 to be an awkward format for the most part. I was used to it when I shot film, but now I prefer 4:3. Compositionally, 3:2 just seems a bit off... its either to wide with too much context surrounding the subject, or not wide enough. Its good for some landscapes, but just as often 16:9 is a better choice. I still crop to 3:2 occasionally, but I don't want to shoot in that format. I'll shoot in native format, and crop 16:9, 3:2 or square if needed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I shoot native but will crop to 3:2 or 1:1 in post if needed.

13. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Having for many years been cropping 35mm film onto paper sizes like 16x12, 10x8, 8.5x6.5 then 4/3 seems reasonably normal!!

14. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I shoot raw and 3:2 .... Always!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I would probably set it to 3:2 if I had any, yes, thanks for asking :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

I do find that I tend to stay in the range of 4:3 to 13:8 (~"golden rectangle~=1.6:1) or jump to panoramas wider than 16:9. The subject dictates. The "golden rectangle" is slightly wider than 3:2 at ~3.2:2.

17. 808N8

808N8 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Hawaii
    Years back when I was shooting only a Panny LX-5 I shot almost entirely 3:2 (used 1:1 for B&W though).
    Come to think of it now though, the physical switch to change aspect ratios was really handy, and made switching between to compose shots really fun.
    On my Panny GX-1 I started out with 3:2 but switched to 4:3 to use the "full" resolution. Doing the same on my E-M10 as well.
    Like a few others mentioned I just crop in post later if needed.

18. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
    I've always preferred 3:2, but accepted 4:3 on my Canon P&S's of the years. On my GF1, then GX1 and now GX7, I'm almost exclusively a 3:2 shooter. Every once in a while, I might do 1:1. But while I like perfectly square on occasion, I don't tend to like the more squarish rectangle of 4:3. I don't really care that I'm losing a little resolution and I don't want to crop later. I prefer to keep the camera set at 3:2 and compose with that.

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've more recently started to default 3:2. I just like composing better that way, and the LCD and EVF usually displays the largest view at that setting.

20. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I love the 4:3 because it allows me to get wanted other ratios without problems if wanted.

I dont crop for specifix ratios unless for wallpaper, otherwise it is the best framing and prints made by that.

I learned on large format and medium format era to leave enough space so i can choose later. 135 format forced to be more careful as resolution was low and 3:2 was huge limit.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1