Do you really NEED a polarizer?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by -Swo0p, Apr 12, 2012.

1. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Ok no one NEEDS one but here is what I mean (I am absolutely still beginner to intermediate level at photography.)

I have always liked having a polarizer on my lenses but now that I'm getting good with lightroom and you can pretty much do whatever effect you want on your pictures, including how blue you want the sky, I wonder if it's even worth spending money on a polarizer filter anymore??

Is it different??

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Remove some window or water reflections in Lightroom/PS. Go ahead, I'll wait.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yeah, a good, old fashioned polarizer is still a useful thing to have in your bag. I don't use one as often as I did years ago shooting slides because, yes, some of what a polarizer accomplished on transparencies can be done in software. But it's not quite the same thing as polarizing the light at the scene.

So, if you want to photograph those lovely, brilliantly colored karp just under the surface of the water and make them pop, I'd still recommend a polarizer, even if playing with curves and saturation can help.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Also will save you running ISO to the high heavens with a fast lens in bright conditions. There are still reasons to use depending on cameras ability, max aperture of lens, and environment your shooting in. I carry a linear polarizer and a nd filter always being they take up so little space and can be the difference between getting the shot and getting let down.YMMV

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's a reason that it's nearly universally recommended as a filter for various shooting situations. Plus, Photoshop isn't some magic wand that automatically fixes everything. There are things that you can't duplicate in PS compared to capturing it on the sensor. This reminds me of the various stories you hear at print shops where an older customer that doesn't quite understand the technology will:
    -Bring in a photo and say, "could you turn this person around? He was facing the wrong way when the picture was taken"
    -Bring in an old photo of a long-gone relative and ask, "would you remove this person's hat? I want to see what color and style his hair was!"

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's a MUST for me when I'm shooting automobiles/motorcycles (i.e. minimize reflections) and objects that are behind glass....

7. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Back in film days, 90% of the time I used a polarizer, it was to darken skies, a use that became more or less obsolete with digital editing. It's true that polarizers will do some things, like supressing reflections on water, that can't be done digitally, but for me a polarizer might be useful in one out of several hudred shots. I'm a bit of a minimalist, and so I don't buy and carry equipment that is so rarely needed. If you shoot certain subjects a lot, it might be worth your while to pack. I haven't carried a polarizer for at least 5 years, and I haven't missed having it.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Try shooting a car with and without one :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I always use one when shooting outdoors. It brings out all kinds of colors, not just skies.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'll wait with you ... wanna beer?

G

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Colors on tree foliage is much nicer with a polarizer.

12. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    fair enough. agree with cmpatti though

i dont shoot cars or through windows. its ok.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Do you shoot leaves, roads, buildings, or anything else smooth or reflective whatsoever? If blue skies are your only reason for using a polarizer, then yes, a quick click on the selective saturation or luminance tool will work. Otherwise, I hope you realize that all color occurs from light bounced off of objects, and that these reflections are often polarized. In most situations besides sky saturation, you can't reasonably recreate the effects of a polarizer with post-processing. cmpatti has at least tested with and without, and has come to the conclusion that he doesn't need the extra weight in his bag. I don't quite understand the point of your OP, were you just trying to insinuate that it's wrong to use them? Were you just looking for someone to state that they're not necessary so that you feel better about not buying them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    ok, so what are some good polarizers and ND filters to buy?

I mainly shoot cars and do encounter tons of reflections...

15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My favoritest photography brand in the whole world is Schneider, which makes B+W. Marumi is supposedly very very good for the money.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/circular-polariser-19519/
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/circular-polarizer-23891/
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/linear-circular-polarizer-pen-20761/
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/polarizer-help-11524/

16. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

thank you my friend, I am trying to learn and everybody's help on this forum is awesome....... hopefully my newbie questions are tolerated, I can't seem to find my info via the search function, though its probably just me....

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    any thoughts on Camerafilters.com as a source for filters?

18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I've used Camerafilters.com man times for adapter rings and misc. things, but I think their prices are too high and do not have the top quality filters. Like shnitz, I use only B+W (MRC) filters when possible. Check prices at B&H and Adorama, sometimes Amazon have them at good prices, but usually they are linked to one one the big camera stores.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Or a shiny airplane....

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1