'Do You Process (And/Or Upload) Your Photos Immediately After A Shoot?'

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I've found out that at times, I go for weeks before I finally decide to download, process, print, upload my shots. That being said, I don't worry about my cards filling up either because I'm not a "spray n' pray" (for lack of better words) shooter...

Or...I might download after a couple of days - but still not process for a week or more...

How about you? :smile:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    I usually download straight away - for backup purposes, then process asap after that, then back up the edits both online and to ext HD asap again after that. Fairly easy now that it's mostly habit.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    I download them as soon as I'm back, or next day at the latest if it is late.

I process them as soon I can see a decent block of uninterrupted time free :biggrin:

I don't delete them from the card, until I've verified & viewed them all imported OK into Lightroom.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    What's a spray and pray shooter? On walkabouts, I shoot from the hip or try to be imaginative. But if I'm on a trip and paid for some sort of ticket, I do shoot a bunch of photos and angles to make sure that at least 1-2 of 10 are tack sharp or with clean edges (since I don't crop). As I'm extremely picky with my photos (only keep 10% initially and whittle then down to 5%), I can quickly process after each session. :wink: I do go through a second look to see if there are other shots worth salvaging before I finally delete them from my SD card.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    My Contax G1 has about 14 frames left on the roll of film that's currently in it. If I forget to bring another roll of film with me (like I did the other day) :biggrin::redface:, then I've got to make those 14 frames count.

With my 8GB card, I don't have to be as precise with my shots because I've got lots of storage space - but I still choose to be precise, hence I even on my SD cards, I don't even come close to filling them...
  6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I tend to download and process immediately, except if I have more than 20-30 images. Every now and then I go through my archives and re-do processing on older photos.

I read an article about one American street photographer from the 70s-80s who intentionally waited several months to develop his film and check his contact sheets for good photos. He said it helped him separate out the emotion or sentimentality of the moment so he could find the really good images. I need more of that discipline, but find I can't wait that long!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I often don't have my computer handy right after many of my serious shoots. Often I'm traveling, for example. So I'm more like RT.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm way too compulsive and have a need for "near instant gratification"!

When I go out to shoot, I might even stop in a Starbucks to preview (in LCD) what I have, and when I shoot film- I suffer until I get them back.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Mostly on my iPad

I use an Apple camera connector adapter as soon as possible (sometimes on site) to transfer my RAW+jpeg files to my iPad.

I usually do some quick and basic PP using IOS Snapseed and then upload some of the images to Flickr or a social site.

I recently subscribed to an education version of Adobe's online Creative Cloud to try and force myself to become competent in Lightroom and Photoshop but, that hasn't worked out well yet. I have been to lazy to spend quality time practicing the use of those wonderful tools. It is so darned easy to do so much on my iPad that I fall back on the easiest tool to do things "down and dirty."

I have a 64gb iPad but, I run out of space often and have to transfer the images from my iPad to an external hard disk attached to one of my PCs.

On something slightly off topic, I have been playing recently with the in camera HDR option on my G5 and getting what I think are pretty good OOC jpeg results.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I download my images as soon as I can after a shoot. I also do a baseline amount of processing on them right then in Lightroom.

If I see something really special I might complete the processing and upload it, otherwise I find it longer to wait to really find the gems. They just don't pop up after the shoot for some reason.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I try to look over them right away in Lightroom and mark off some keepers. It seems more interesting that way. Also I still remember the situation, the colors, etc if I need to make adjustments.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    If I take pictures during the day, I normally download them that evening into a new folder labeled by date and or subject. I mostly then delete any that are definitely bad and also delete everything from my card. I seldom work with individual images that night.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I move them onto my computer at least once a week, but usually as soon as possible. I prefer to do my post processing while the memory and intentions I had are still fresh.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I am anal I download my cards as soon a I can, if i know I may be taking more pics I just offload and replace the card. My standard practice is 1. Download and remove card. 2. Backup files to secondary drive. 3. Format card in camera. I find this keeps me from losing data.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    I tend to waste no time putting my pics on my computer to view them on something bigger than a 3" screen. I mark the photos that I want to pp, and then let the laptop backup.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi RT!

I cull the photos and upload the survivors into LightRoom as soon as I return home, and make a backup to an external drive. Unless it's something vital I let the normal scheduled backup tasks handle the files from there on out. If it's something I can't afford to lose I'll take the time to make a secondary backup as well.

The card is formatted right after the backups are confirmed. (This is assuming that it's a day shoot; if I'm on an extended vacation I take a netbook computer with me for storing copies of the files, but don't format the card(s) until I return home and verify backups).

Processing is a totally different thing - I'm still learning LightRoom but I only process those shots that I post (very rare) or that I print (more often than posting), or that I send to other folks (also very rare). I don't process files just to leave them on the hard drive. If I would process more of my photos I would undoubtedly learn LightRoom faster. However as things stand processing may not occur for weeks after the shoot, when I am ready to print and frame a photograph.

• Like Like x 1