Do you print your photos?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Chrisnmn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice write up on steve huff blog

I used to print all my photos, since i shot almost everything on film, till a year and a half ago, since then, going full digital ive printed only 4, and none for me. I need to get back that habit, i recently did a wall full of 6x4's at home, in order to select some for my online portfolio ive been trying to put together. Its funny that EVERYONE that comes to my house actually notice and more important, stares at those photos more than 5 or 10 minutes. Sure they cant "like" them, but they actually stare at them, and see them.

Food for thought.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yes. I print, and print fairly large. 30x40cm I mount on foam board myself, semi disposable, and I rotate them around. Larger stuff I have printed on aluminum dibond or behind acrylic. Largest prints are 210 cm wide panoramas. Worth every penny.
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yep, sure do.

I print for myself, others, and for entries in local photo contests. I mount primarily on foam core board of both 3/16" and 1/2" thicknesses for myself and on mounting/backing board for contest entries. I print almost everything on a cheap Epson WF1000, using Epson paper and ink. and it usually works very well. I very seldom frame my work (I just don't like frames), and only when required for contests or requested by family and friends.
  4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I need to get back into it. I have a Canon PIXMA PRO 9000 mk. II that I'm very pleased with the output. I never thought to mount on foam board, but I think I'll start putting things up in my office like slothead did.
  5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I don't do the printing myself, I hand it out to a printing service. But my pictures are aimed at prints, yes. Usualy the end goal is 30x40 cm for the wall (12x16 inch). And I use the photo book options a lot, at least a year book every year, and themed books about travels or special events. I think those photo books are the best thing of this digital time...
  6. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    I've 'retired' from full-time pro photography, where capturing the image was what inspired me, and only re-visited images to select for portfolios and promotions. As a result I print only very few and those are almost all for other people.

But I did make a photobook of my mother's 90th birthday and was impressed with the results so janneman's idea of making books on a regular basis does appeal.
  7. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I run a company that has specialized in printing since 1986, and I can tell you that the volume of printing coming from photographers and artists is way down. It's a combination of factors, including more eyeballs looking at images on screen, less money being spent at the art fairs, more photographers having their own printers, and less home and hotel construction (therefore less new wall space to decorate).

I still print a few of my images each week, and keep a work print album for reference. I've run out of wall space!

One of the reasons I've moved into m4/3 gear is the lower demand for large prints. I'm happy with my choice, as I can easily shoot and pp images that look great on screen, and print to 16x20 or larger. I can still do panoramas that can go 8' easily. I have a major sporting event I'm covering in the Middle East this summer, and I think after that is over, I'll be selling my DSLR cameras and lenses.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Great reminder Chris. I just ordered a half a dozen 11x14 prints last night, but in all honesty it was only because a friend asked me to frame some of my shots as raffle prizes for a fundraiser, so it motivated me to print a handful to choose from.

I've been making it a point to print photo books periodically, usually 8x10 size with full page photos. Every time I've done it I'm reminded why printing trumps online photos :smile: My new policy is every major vacation/trip I take, print an album when I get home. I also did one for the Summer of Photos thread here on, which was a really rewarding way to cap off the project.

Now I just need to get around to printing up some 16x20 prints and such for the house!
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep, although nothing over 8x10.

The 4x6 "refrigerator prints" (those that are frequently stuck on the refrigerator door via magnets) of the grandkids make the Princess of the Exchequer happy, which feeds my GAS.

When we attend the unavoidable extended family events (reunions, graduations, etc.) the easiest way for me to get through the inevitable drudgery is to treat them as photo ops. Afterwards I will create a DVD for the host and perhaps a print or three.

I have a (very) inexpensive Kodak Hero 7 printer that does a surprisingly good job. I would not have expected the printer to do the job it does - although it is slower than all get out when printing an 8x10. I've considered upgrading the printer but since I've had no complaints about the prints there's not much point. Of course there's no bragging rights in using a Kodak printer :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

EDIT ONE YEAR LATER: I've added a Canon Pro 100 to the home network and am learning how to print on it. A few of my digital negatives (might) deserve a larger print than 8x10 and the 13x19 capability of the Canon seems about right. The Kodak is still the 'go to' printer for smaller prints.

10. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Printing? Ain't nobody got time for
    I used to try and print and it just became a very expensive obsession for me. I gave up and started using online places.
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    So this just reminded me to follow up - these came out great! It was really, really cool to print some of my favorites and see them in 11x14 size. I also experienced what Chris mentioned in the OP - people stop and look at them for quite a long while and comment, much different than the experience of a quick like or comment on social media. I ended up raffling off 2 prints from Alaska for the fundraiser and it was really cool seeing people interested in and enjoying my work.

I will *definitely* be printing more on a regular basis now, and I'm seriously considering doing some rotating prints at the house of my favorites in 11x14 or larger. For a few bucks a piece it was totally worth it, even just using $5 wal-mart frames :2thumbs:
  12. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Absolutely. Three reasons:
    Not everybody is proficient enough to use their PCs for more than the odd mail every now and then. Why should I exclude those from seeing pictures I took at family gatherings and the like?
    Hardly anybody has a calibrated screen at home, however, I want them to see my photos the way I processed them.
    I find today's behavior of gathering in front of a PC screen to look at some crap on YouTube or pictures highly unsocial and disturbing, and rather have small prints ready if friends and guests want to see photographs. Usually most prints get taken anyway ("can I keep it?"), so there's not much stuff accumulating.

At ~1€ per 15x22cm print it's a no-brainer and I honestly couldn't care less about money when it comes to family.
  13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I never printed my photos until I had a child and now I find that I'm at Costco weekly picking up prints. In fact, my wife and I have been married 3.5 years and we JUST printed our first photos from our wedding - pathetic!
  14. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    The owner of the lab I get my prints from told me that not too long ago a couple picked up their wedding photos after over 2 years. They simply forgot about their picks since of course there was an online gallery too that satisfied the initial anxiety about the event.
    Did you happen to get married around Vienna, Austria? :tongue:
  15. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I use an online service to get a batch of prints a couple of times a year, then mount them at home on sintra board. It's inexpensive and rigid, so I can just hang the photos on the wall using blobs of that poster putty stuff.
  16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    can you guys list cheap and pro labs or printers around the world so we could have a list to know when we need to print stuff?.
  17. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    When I was using film, I was always looking forward to the day when I could do big prints, but at the time I couldn't afford to pay anybody to do the prints. It was really aggravating when I was using a 6x9 Fuji and dreaming of big prints, but scraping to get the occasional 11x14 print. :p

Eventually I realized I really didn't need to print huge like Richard Misrach (I swear, some prints of his I saw were at least 4 by 5 *feet*). And that the 100Mp camera I thought I needed to equal the Fuji wasn't coming anytime soon. (I've since realized that that was an overestimate, what with film scanning problems, the size of film grains, blah blah blah.)

These days I'm using these little half-size digital cameras :smile: and I'm printing a lot. Probably my best photography deal ever was when I found a used HP8750, in fine working order but with a dent in the lid (gasp) for $75. Now I'm printing on 13x19 (with borders), and it's really nice to have prints on the wall. Besides, our walls aren't big enough for any number of 30x40 prints from medium format.
  18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I got a PM with a question about mounting on sintra board. It's a pretty easy arts & crafts kind of project and turns out looking nice if you like the "unframed" image look. For anyone who is interested in mounting photos at home on sintra or foamcore, I learned how to do it from this video by Mark Wallace on the AdoramaTV Youtube channel: Mounting Photos for Display