1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Do you print your photographs?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Pelao, May 24, 2010.

1. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I spend a lot of time looking at photographs on the web, and I often see shots there that really impress - some on this forum. I have to say though, that I enjoy good photographs more when they are printed. Whether held in my hand, or mounted on a wall, the print is to me still the ultimate expression of a photograph.

I would also say that prints reveal the true effectiveness of cameras, and especially lenses.

Do you print? If so, do you print yourself, send out for prints, or both.

Is the photographic print important to you?

For the record, I currently print mine on an Epson R800, or send out for larger images.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Pelao,

I print some of my shots, mostly as gift for friends birthdays.
    Currently I send all my file to a print shop, but I'm thinking of getting a decent printer. :biggrin:
    I agree with you that prints are important. How often do you print your photograph ?

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i print only for friends and family , but i do love a good print......

i use a canon 620 printer and print up to 8.5 tp 11 inches on many types of paper from b&h photo

4. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i send my files to a local pro lab and have them print for me.
    i only print images that will be framed and maybe hung on the wall.
    i hang 'gallery' style all over the house, in every room and change out the prints when i have newer stuff to hang.
    i mostly print 8x10.

5. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I agree wholeheartedly. The print is extremely important to me. There is just something about a print that I don't see in screen images. When I look at a good print, I can almost feel the richness of it. Something I just don't get from a monitor.

I do all of my printing here. I like seeing the print as it comes out of the printer. I am printing on an older HP 9800. I get excellent color, and B&W, prints from this printer. I haven't sent anything out yet, but I don't print larger than 13x19. Someday, if I decided to print something larger, I would probably use an outside vendor.

Thanks for bringing this subject up. I'll be interested to read other replies.

Good printing,
    Otto...

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Always. To me, it's not a finished photograph until it's printed, preferably big.

Cheers

Ray

7. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I printed my keepers up until last month. At that point my many years old Epson R800 finally broke. That printer has costed me a fortune for the ink, and it has given me a lot of excellent prints in return.

So, I'm in the market for a new printer. What do you recommend? I would like to have at least an A3+ printer capable of good B&W and colour images, making prints that last also if hanging on the wall for years, and that doesn't clog up if not used every week- Ideally there should be a bunch of canned (and working...) profiles for both glossy and matte prints.

Any suggestions? (Maybe I should start a new thread?)

Jonas

8. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Jonas,

I'm also curious :smile: I'm looking for a decent quality printer, but not too costly :biggrin:
    Epson stated the replacement for R800 is R1900. Maybe we should start a new thread indeed

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got two Canon printers, one uses pigment inks and the other dye based inks. The latest versions, whether dye or pigment, are fast, economical on ink, quiet and long lasting. I'm not quite the Canon fan as far as cameras go, but I do think their printer technology is extremely good. There are a lot of Epson fans about, but I see Epson in the printer world akin to Canon in the camera world. Weird I know, but go figure. I also use Ilford Galerie Smooth and Classic papers, for which you can get Ilford profiles for those printers which are very good (I profile my papers).

Cheers

Ray

10. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Canon... yes, they were good back when I bought the Epson and i guess they are good now.
    I like the Epson pigment ink images. What is your Canon pigment printer?

I also profile some of the papers I use. I have then sent the prints to a "profiler" but for the future I would like to be able to do the profiling myself. Do you have paper profiling equipment?

Cheers,

Jonas

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The pigment printer is the IPF5000. I use Spyder PrintFix Pro for paper profiling. There are better profilers available nowadays at a pretty reasonable cost, such as X-Rite.

Cheers

Ray

12. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Thank you.

I just checked the Epson R1900 review at Vincent Oliver's place. It's obviously a capable printer but I won't once again buy anything using those small ink cartridges. They are annoying, and at least here in Sweden very expensive.

I'll look around, I can live without the printer... but not very long.

Jonas

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I love me a good print :)

Gordon

14. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I print all of my keepers at home using an Epson 3800. I agree with all who state it is not a finished photograph until it is appropriately printed.

Regards,

Antonio

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    From reading around, and through the experience of some friends, I recommend the Epson 3800. You will pay more for it upfront, than say the 2880, but the larger cartridges will save you serious cash over the long term. In fact, if you subtract the cost of the cartridges that come with it, then the printer is pretty good value.

Of course, I could be just endorsing my own decision here: the 3880 is what I am heading for to replace my R800.

16. Bill H

Bill H Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Printing your work

To me the photographic process is not complete till you hold a print in your hand. There is something to me about looking at a print from different angles and in different lighting that makes a photo pop.

I print the pics that I think might make an interesting part of my portfolio. Some of these go to friends some find their way up on a wall one or two may get entered into a contest or two.

I print on an Epson R2400. I use papers from Epson, Hahnemuhle, Ilford and Moab. I use different papers for different uses mainly Epson and Ilford for portrait use, Hahnemuhle and Moab for landscape and I use Epson exhibition paper for black and white.

One of the nice things about the R2400 is it has 3 black inks which make a black and white print "pop" I recently took a class in which all the other students were shooting film and printing in a dark room. I was the only digital printer. I busted my ass making good prints and they stood up against most of the film prints. It was tough but printing my photos is very rewarding.

I also dislike the small printer cartridges and recently went to a continuous flow ink system. A more expensive initial outlay of cash but much cheaper in the long run.

As far as the brand of printer. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I have friends that swear by Epson, some that swear at it. Likewise Cannon and HP. It's what you like and what you can afford. The most important part is getting a printer that is not just a consumer printer. They will not give you the artistic prints you want from a printer.

17. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Hard to beat an Epson 3880. More economical than the smaller printers with smaller ink boxes.

18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    First time I printed some of my better photos last month to enter into a local photo contest. I must say I wasn't prepared for the expense (nearly $500 for printing and framing for 6 16x20 photos!).

I guess I'm not quite sure what to do with printed photos other than enter contests. I don't have enough wall space to put up all my good photos, and I doubt I could give my photos away to friends - not sure what they'd do with them either. They might consider it a non-gift.

So for the moment I just save everything in the hopes that I'll find a purpose for the photos I've taken (other than looking at them every now and then). I find enjoyment in taking the photos more than in admiring them afterward I suppose.

19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    A bit off topic, but I am fascinated about how we view different brands. I use Epson because when I was shopping for a printer (2005) the R800 was clearly a leader and still works well for me. My good experience with it would cause me to look there first, but Canon and HP have both made great strides in their printers, and from what I read they are as good in terms of output, perhaps better - and have some features I like.

As for cameras...let's not go there :wink:

20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    On the main topic...

I'll confess that my print volume declined a bit for a year or so. Some of this is due to pressure of work, and family - to enjoy my photography fully I need to experiment and print. Time was squeezed and something had to give.

Then recently a bunch of things happened. I found a bunch of prints of photographs taken while on holiday in Nice, and they are a real pleasure. then, I visited some galleries here in Toronto where there is a major photographic festival taking place. Finally, some of the freelance photographers (humanitarian field photographers) I work with were showing me their prints for the same festival.

All this brought me full circle - to me, it's not a complete photographic experience until I see a print.