1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Do you plan to sell when you buy?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Jul 17, 2016.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The "Box" thread has me thinking. I always carefully put away camera accessories, the box, etc., when I get a new camera because I might want to sell it eventually. With the possible exception of my vehicle and my house, I don't always think of resale except for my photo purchases. We do have a healthy market for used stuff and it certainly helps those with less money to get good stuff.

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a large box with all my lens and camera boxes in it. Also accessories I don't use. I have used several boxes to send a lens and cameras in for repair. Selling anything is contrary to my hoarder personality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am kind of old school as I buy with the intent of things lasting me for a long time. Cell phones, tablets, computers and digital cameras only have so much life "repurposed" as backups, so I am starting to see an accumulation of old gear that is technologically obsolete and now needs to be disposed of.

As such, I now think of my camera bodies as expensive consumables, and should start letting them go when they are replaced (and my backup bodies are not needing to be swapped out). I still use them for quite some time, but at some point, they just need to move on when I eventually do an upgrade. But even though I don't sell much, I do keep my boxes.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I first went digital ILC, it never occurred to me I'd be selling camera bodies or lenses, as I still owned my lone SLR and lens that I purchased in 1980. But I soon realized that I'd be buying and selling lenses and bodies as part of my learning process. Now that I've learned what I like in terms of body style, lens length and speed, I don't buy and sell so much. Now when I buy, I don't plan to sell lenses unless I don't like my purchase or a new purchase means I no longer use one or more of my existing lenses. Camera bodies will likely be sold at some point, but I enjoy my E-M10 enough, and the value has dropped enough, that I don't think I'll be selling. That said, I still have their boxes. (I have two bodies.) When my first body was only a few months old, I fell on a concrete pier with the camera in my right hand and on a neck strap. The bottom right back corner smacked the pavement. There's a tiny nick in that corner, and the LCD panel cracked. I replaced the camera with a second E-M10 thinking the first one had died completely, but it hadn't. So I sent it off to Precision Camera and paid ~$170 to have it fixed. I use both bodies regularly and have no problems with either, but if I do sell an E-M10 at some point, it won't be the first one that was damaged and repaired. Nevertheless, I kept the repair invoice with info on what was fixed. But E-M10s aren't worth a lot these days, and even less so for one that was damaged.

When I do upgrade, I expect the E-M10s will become backups, or I might have one converted to infrared.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I was buying a new car when the "accessory lady" was called out to pander her goods, for the car I mean ;)
    She suggested paint protection; I asked why? she assured me it I will get better resale value.... Really? I said. After I have driven this car the way it wasn't meant to be driven, trust me the last thing somebody will be looking at is if there was "paint protector" applied to it..
    I see an analogy here

I have the space but not the character to be saving boxes with the intent of one day selling.
    I use my cameras a fair bit and they do get scuffed. I also don't long for the latest/greatest as often makes little sense to me the "perceived" improvement in the latest model so my cameras don't get sold when a new one is just released. By the time I really want to upgrade (if the camera lives that long) having a box or not, if I will consider selling, will make no difference to the price.
    Use it like it was meant to be used: out and about, in action and in the weather, occasionally getting banged because it's not a piece of crystal: the value I get out of that is much higher than a perceived higher resale value of pristine equipment that was babied. :cool:
    If I was a collector, then things would be different, of course

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Camera and other electronics including computer stuff I think about resale when I buy. Mainly by hanging on to boxes and accessories that, while I know I'll probably never use, might have value down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I become irrationally attached to my old photo gear, shirts and socks. Much to my wife's consternation. I know it sounds nuts, but I don't smoke, drink, or run around with loose women. I figure she can let me have my cameras and my old shirts.

When I bought my E-M10, I let my wife talk me into selling my E30. It's caused me great heartache ever since.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have been pretty good about selling my old stuff if it is still salable. But as others have mentioned, I too buy my stuff with the intention of using it until it dies or until I really feel the need to update (many times that will be well past the point where the current item is worth anything). So I do not consider resale value at all and use my gear. I don't abuse it but I also don't baby it.

With digital cameras, many of them never get touched again, so if you can get something for them, it is something, compared to nothing. As an example, my E-520 stopped operating properly and was old enough that it wasn't worth getting repaired (I could get a used replacement for less). So I picked up a used E-3 for about $500 I think at the time. After using that for some years I finally get the E-M1. I sold the E-3 for $250. I think I easily got $250 of enjoyment out of using the camera and the $250 I got back in cash when I sold it was MUCH better than letting it get moldy in a drawer. $250 I could apply to micro-4/3rds lenses. :)

Also bought an E-30 (while using the E-3) that I never warmed to and sold it not too long afterwards. Even the old broken E-520 I think I made about $50 selling it for Parts/As-Is on eBay.

On the other hand, I bought a used beat up E-1 (long before the E-3) for $150 and used it along side the E-520. After moving to m43, mint condition E-1s went for less than $100, so mine is probably worth $25 if even that. So I am hanging onto it. I still make a point of pulling it out occasionally and using it. I still really like that camera.

9. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I keep it in mind when buying, probably more to convince myself to purchase a lens than actually thinking of selling it in the future though :p

10. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I sell first before I buy. If I cannot get the price I want for it then I keep on using it, the rationale is that I do not want to spend more than a certain amount on changing.

Regarding boxes: they have been designed to withstand shipping impacts, hence it is valuable to keep them. It also saves time (hunting around for a box of the right size etc) when you eventually do resell it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2016
    North-east England, UK
    There was a time when I had a house full of old camera gear. And I got to thinking "This is really stupid".

When, after a lot of thought, I swapped from Nikon to Olympus last year, I sold ALL my Nikon gear just three days after I took delivery of my nice, shiny, new OMD. Cameras, lenses, flash, accessories, even the bag (it wasn't the right shape and size for the Olympus). I even hunted through cupboards and drawers for anything 'in any way photographic' that I no longer needed. I had the boxes for most items but don't believe it made much difference to the price.

But the best news... the sales paid for two thirds of my new Olympus (1,500 towards 2,250, GBP).

The only old photo kit I now have is a 35mm SLR from the 1990s, and even that might be on eBay soon!

12. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    My perception is that when you have the boxes you more often than not realise the price you're wanting and/or that it sells easier. I have the definite impression that there are more "watchers" on an auction.

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I tend to keep things "a long time". When I sold my Nikon gear many of the lenses were 10 years old. When I went m43 "all in" this year I did it for only about $2K due to the monies I got from my Nikon gear. I expect to use my current gear (except for a body or two) for 10 years again. I actually think my m43 lenses will last me until I don't need a camera any more. So no I really don't think about the resale value when it comes to cameras or even lenses.