Do You Own Both OMD and GH3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by caimi, Jun 4, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Any owners of both of these current state of the art Mu43 cameras? If so, do you have a preference for stills? Do they complement one another in any particular way? Is there something you despise about either? Thanks for your time.

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I have both, though I only just got the GH3, so I can only give initial comparison.

Initial thoughts are they make a nice compliment to each other. The GH3 feels great in the hands and is a joy to work with. The menus and external controls on the GH3 are superior, in my view. IQ is great with both.

I like having one body with IBIS so for now, the E-M5 offers that and in stripped down form is more compact than the GH3, when I desire that.

Moving forward, I will keep the GH3, but when my E-P5/17/VF-4 kit arrives, that camera might replace my E-M5 as the IBIS body. I never really liked the form factor of the E-M5, though it is an excellent camera and I definitely liked having the built in EVF.

If the GX2 turns out to have in body EVF, good IBIS and a great sensor, I may dispense with Oly bodies entirely as I prefer Pany ergonomics and menus. We shall see. I am looking forward to working with the E-P5!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've posted this elsewhere, but I have/had both. The GH3 is staying, the OM-D EM-5 is not.

For me it's basically ergonomics, UI, and physical controls that's the biggest deciding factor. The GH3 has physical buttons and switches for all the major needs, it's incredibly comfortable to hold and use, and I prefer the EVF & general UI/menus on the Panasonic. Battery life (500+ shots) is a plus for me too; I've never actually had it run out during a single day of shooting so far.

EDIT: I should probably add, the OM-D EM-5 ergonomics were the single biggest dislike for me. I could not get comfortable with it and even with the add-on grip I just wasn't crazy about it.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Is the EVF on the GH3 as bad as some make it out to be? How is it compared to the OM-D's EVF?

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    There is a little bit of a fisheye kind of distortion at the edges of the EVF on the GH3, but I honestly have never noticed it when I'm shooting, and the resolution is very good.

Some reviewers have found it problematic, possibly because they wear glasses (I don't anymore). For me it's a non-issue and the EVF is nice and crisp with a good refresh rate, which is my main concern.

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I'm afraid I might ditch the Olympus for GH3 ergonomics too. I love the EM-5. It is capable of fantastic photography in a compact package. Those are the two main reasons I switched back to MU-43 . But now that I've used the GH2 and the G5 I have to say I prefer Panasonic ergonomics over Olympus already and the GH3 will clinch it unless it just feels too big (doubtful).

I have two main concerns before I pull the trigger:

1) Does the GH3 feel like going back to DSLR territory in terms of size?
    2) Does the OMD have the edge in IQ for stills?

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For #1, I guess that's a personal thing... compared to even a D600 the GH3 feels a heck of a lot smaller and lighter to me. But YMMV if by DSLR you're talking a really small Canon Rebel or something. The GH3 is a step bigger than the G5 but still a noticeable step smaller than my DSLR. And it's still a bunch lighter than a D600 let alone a D800 or larger DSLR.

For #2, I really don't see an appreciable difference in stills quality. That's borne out by the DxO numbers for the two cameras, and it seems almost certain the two cameras have the same sensor or a very similar variation thereof from Sony.

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    For the body the GH3 is about same size as entry DSLR (exclude 100D which is smaller), but once you add the lens it is a lot smaller and lighter than APS-C

DSC_03511.

For JPEG E-M5 certainly have edge over GH3, the colour is more pleasing and sharper, but I really like the control of GH3, and much better video quality too.

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Many "more-serious" shooters will probably want to have two bodies, for back up purposes if not for differing applications.

If you're in that group (wanting two bodies) then I think the size of the GH3, for one of the bodies, is a non-issue. It handles and performs wonderfully and though the body size may approach the smallest of the DSLR's, you've got to consider the SYSTEM, wherein m4/3 lenses are dramatically smaller and lighter than those for the DSLR.

The human hand can only deal with miniaturization to a point before operation gets difficult... so a very full featured camera body necessarily needs to be of a certain size... if you want a lot of manual control and ease in handling and operating. The GH3 is a good size for a camera offering all of the features it offers. It is sized to be able to handle and operate it easily and comfortably.

The second body (if you want to have two) can be one of the smaller-form m4/3 bodies and you can pick and choose between the different sizes/form factors for body, depending on your needs at the time.

If having the smallest form factor possible is a primary objective for all of your m4/3 bodies, then perhaps the GH3 is not for you.

I have no complaints about the EVF in the GH3.

10. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    I have both and tend to use the Oly because of the IBS; I think stills quality is the same. The Oly feels solid in hand, but i only like it with the grip. Doing more video now and may move the Oly to get another GH3 to have a backup. Also have a GH2 and would always use the OLy for stills over the 2.
    If video is in your inters, GH3 is the choice. Otherwise, find a store and hndle both. What's mot comfortable is best for you.

11. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I just rented a GH3 over the weekend. The body itself is definitely more bulky than the previous GH cameras or the EM5, more comperable to entry-level DSLRs. However, as m4:3 lenses tend to be smaller than their APS-C counterparts, the size of the overall package is still smaller/lighter than a DSLR.

I think it comes down to what you value more -- smaller size or more physical controls.

12. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Peter: The nearest store to me that carries Panasonic cameras is about 300 miles from my front door. So I can't handle a GH3 before buying. However, I just purchased one online so I'll handle it after buying.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I have a completely different view of the OM-D. I find its video image quality is pretty good and the image stabilization is terrific, but the landscape stills are horrible.

junkui.

14. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    M4/3: Shoot RAW.

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The GH3 is definitely one of the best M4/3 body (so far) in terms of ergonomics, handling and controls, YMMV. It's not that big compared to the DSLR counterparts especially when the equivalent lenses are mounted. I carry a whole bag from a FF equivalent range of 14mm F/4 to 200mm F/2.8; and it still probably weighs around the area of a FF DSLR with 70-200 2.8 alone.

16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Ergonomics is subjective. I have gigantic mitts, used to 5DIII's and the like, and I find the OM-D fine even without a grip, although I do have a third party one coming in because I want to see what it's like.

I'm interested in getting the GH3 as a second body for work, and also for more video applications. Looks really nice

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There's a really easy fix for that... :wink:

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    With my $189.00 E-PL1 I can get great results like this shooting jpeg. What a shame the $1100.00 OMD can provide at least as good image quality as the lowly E-PL1. And since the GH3 uses the same sensor as the OMD, I presume it's jpegs are inferior to the E-PL1 too.
    eplc.

19. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I can't really tell from the size of your pictures, what exactly is wrong with the OM-D jpegs in your opinion?

20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    That really just looks like you're using a different picture mode/style.